Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 09:36 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,053,481 times

Advertisements

I own a house built in 1920. It was renovated some time around 1995, electrical upgraded etc, kitchen window added, sliding glass door on the back, etc. It's in California, on the other side of the country. I rent it out but think I'll move back in the next year. It's in pretty good shape but windows are single pane, and I don't think it has any insulation. Would it be worth it to do a tyvek wrap which means we would have to take off or replace all the siding. The windows are pretty big, something I like about it. I'd like to replace them with double pane windows, but I'm sure they would be expensive due to their large size. I read somewhere that you don't want to make your house too air tight, as you want some air movement so moisture doesn't get contained in the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 09:55 AM

10,091 posts, read 6,422,760 times
Please don't replace original windows with vinyl garbage, or the siding either. The windows can have the glazing replaced and storms installed if you want better protection against air intrusion. As far as the siding goes, have it inspected and have any bad spots replaced with equivalent materials (i.e., shingles, clapboard, etc.), then paint if needed. Maintaining the original look will keep your property look and value a LOT higher, especially in California where 1920's era original homes are so highly prized.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:09 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,053,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Please don't replace original windows with vinyl garbage, or the siding either. The windows can have the glazing replaced and storms installed if you want better protection against air intrusion. As far as the siding goes, have it inspected and have any bad spots replaced with equivalent materials (i.e., shingles, clapboard, etc.), then paint if needed. Maintaining the original look will keep your property look and value a LOT higher, especially in California where 1920's era original homes are so highly prized.
Thanks. Sad thing is, if I ever sold the house, it would be a tear down. That's what people are doing.

Can you replace the existing window glass with double pane glass? I have seen other houses with screens and storm windows, just didn't get very far trying to research how to do it for my own house.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:01 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
If the walls don't have any insulation, what "appreciable" amount of insulation do you think you'll get with insulated glass windows?

Seriously, you're just throwing good money after bad!

Old 05-04-2016, 11:21 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,208,246 times
Tyvek is really not a quality material. I prefer builders felt to Tyvek or the newer 'building wraps.'If you were going to do anything major using a spray foam between studs would greatly increase insulation, could act as a part of a barrier & would not require resideing. But you'd still have to patch the holes they used to apply the spray.

Windows could be worthwhile however you would lose a lot of character and if they are custom sized it becomes very expensive. You could always do a more attractive storm window outside and then use that heat adhere clear film on the interior every winter. I recently saw an interior insert similar to a storm window and that has me intrigued. It will not be as good as the newer double/triple paned glass with films and gas between panes but would be an improvement at a much lower cost.

A modern HVAC system will basically pull in enough fresh air to avoid any problems. Its only an issue if you have a tightly sealed house but never turn on heat or air. So if you go without one for long periods (like a month) throw a door and window open. If moisture is a main concern you can always pickup even a basic Lowes or Walmart dehumidifier to solve that issue.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:37 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
There is a already quite a bit of misinformation on this thread -- folks needs to understand the "whys and whats" of "sheathing wraps" -- Is Tyvek better than Felt Paper? Critical intallation details | BuildingAdvisor Tyvek and similar products ADD NO INSULATION VALUE!!! The primary function is to prevent WATER from entering the structure. If the existing structure has no issues with WATER INTRUSION through the siding then removing to install ANY KIND of sheathing wrap (including older style paper or 'felt') SERVES NO USEFUL PURPOSE and actually INCREASES the chances of future water intrusion!!

Secondly there are several misconceptions about why you may or may not decide to upgrade "single pane" windows to more modern type. From a high level the AIR INFILTRATION in the biggest issues with any window old or new. Welcome to the Efficient Windows Collaborative New windows should have a MUCH BETTER U-FACTOR than old windows. This is MORE than just "insulation" -- Window Ratings - Energy Ratings

If the OP believes their home is lacking insulation / poorly insulated the FIRST THING they should do is have a qualified organization / individual perform an ENERGY AUDIT that includes a measurement of how much AIR the home is leaking and then decide what areas can be improved for the biggest RETURN ON INVESTMENT --
What to do with homes with no insulation.

As part of the decision to deal with the results of the energy audit the OP, or any home owner in a similar situation, should determine HOW QUICKLY the energy upgrades with be "paid off" with lower utility bills -- Payback Calculations for Energy-Efficiency Improvements | GreenBuildingAdvisor.com

BTW -- It is EXTREMELY UNCOMMON for any normal HVAC on an older home to do ANYTHING with outside fresh air. HVAC Factors Affecting Indoor Air Quality

For the OP or anyone else whose home is likely to be TORN DOWN for 'land value' in areas where new construction are more valuable it may still make sense to do some energy upgrades IF THE PAYBACK PERIOD matches the time that they would have for the reduced utility costs! The OP may also want to consider the potential benefits of things that are relatively costly but are offset by local incentives -- DSIRE

Old 05-04-2016, 12:49 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
THis.

If you wan t to reduce air infiltration, repair any damaged windows and install invisible storm windows on the inside. The difference between this and costly double or triple panes windows is negligible. If you get that vinyl crap they try to sell for inflated prices (massive profit) they do not last long and the gas leaks out, then you get fogging between panes. Not to mention you majorly devalue the house. people do not buy quaint historic homes because they want a new home with new materials.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:34 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Default Land values rule, in this case

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Thanks. Sad thing is, if I ever sold the house, it would be a tear down. That's what people are doing.
You answered your own question.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:39 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,929,264 times
Is the current power bill extremely high compared to similar size homes? If not, I'd wonder if it's worth spending a lot of money to insulate everything. My windows aren't 1920s quality (60s single pane) but they have storms and my power bill has never been high enough for me to worry.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:44 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I own a house built in 1920. It was renovated some time around 1995, electrical upgraded etc, kitchen window added, sliding glass door on the back, etc. It's in California, on the other side of the country. I rent it out but think I'll move back in the next year. It's in pretty good shape but windows are single pane, and I don't think it has any insulation. Would it be worth it to do a tyvek wrap which means we would have to take off or replace all the siding. The windows are pretty big, something I like about it. I'd like to replace them with double pane windows, but I'm sure they would be expensive due to their large size. I read somewhere that you don't want to make your house too air tight, as you want some air movement so moisture doesn't get contained in the house.

Don't waste the money on Tyvek wrap. As for the double pane, you're probably not going to see the gains you think. I doubt your house has any insulation batting in the walls.
Just recaulk the window seam. You can blown insulation in the attic

Last edited by Electrician4you; 05-04-2016 at 10:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House