Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 11:06 AM

280 posts, read 250,333 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been looking to move from our townhome to a SFH and notice that most have a soaker tub. My question is who actually uses these on a regular basis? Everyone I have talked to says that they rarely use it.

Should we consider taking it out? If so what feature would be helpful in place of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 11:18 AM

22,588 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizrulesSD View Post

Should we consider taking it out? If so what feature would be helpful in place of it?
You can do whatever you want in your house.
What do YOU want/like?

Old 06-09-2016, 11:20 AM

983 posts, read 1,055,374 times
Quote:
My wife and I have been looking to move from our townhome to a SFH and notice that most have a soaker tub. My question is who actually uses these on a regular basis? Everyone I have talked to says that they rarely use it.

It probably depends if YOU would use it. Some people really enjoy their tubs. On the other hand, many rarely if ever use them and they are a waste of space. When we built our house, we opted to put a large custom shower in the master bathroom. It has grab rails and is accessible if one of us should break a leg. We left space for a tub, if some future owner should want to install one; right now that space is occupied by a bench - we put our clothes there when showering... We do have a tub in the second bathroom; it is there mostly for resale value since neither of us likes baths.

I've heard that the trend in real estate is away from tubs in the master bathroom. Some homes do not have them at all, especially homes likely to appeal to empty nesters.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:37 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
A master bath should contain a tub. I prefer it contain a tub and a separate shower. My wife was a bath person and she would only fill the jacuzzi/garden tub enough to take a bath in whereas I always shower. I did use the jacuzzi a few times but mainly for a long, hot soak.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:49 AM

280 posts, read 250,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You can do whatever you want in your house.
What do YOU want/like?
I understand that but the question was more directed to if it is worth it. I was hoping to find someone who actually did remove their's.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:04 PM

22,588 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
I understand that but the question was more directed to if it is worth it.
But that is the point... only YOU know if it will be "worth it".

If you like and want the tub, keeping it is worth it to you.
If you dislike the tub and/or prefer a fancy shower, tearing it out is worth it to you.

I have - and use - a regular tub. Having it is worth it to me.

Especially as an empty nester (mentioned in post #3) who has more aches and pains than ever before. A long soak is heavenly!

Old 06-09-2016, 12:14 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Look at it like a fireplace.

It's an amenity that MOST buyers expect to see in a certain type of home, even though people don't always use them as regularly as they think they might.

If you remove it, it might be "worth it" to you to have that space freed up, but will it be "worth it" when you eventually do sell and most potential buyers leave feedback wondering why there is no Jacuzzi tub?

Old 06-09-2016, 12:16 PM

857 posts, read 844,206 times
Had one for years and maybe used it once. Waste of space in my opinion. Would rather have a bigger shower and no regular tub at all.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:21 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
This is similar to a post not that long ago someone wanted to NOT put in an oven since they never baked. Well, true, many people don't bake and only use a microwave or toaster oven. But if you are EVER leaving that house...meaning you are dying there and don't care about sale proceeds going to your family, PUT IT IN! People may not use it, but they expect it. Whether it's an oven or a tub of some sort. Go ahead and put in a larger shower TOO, but don't leave out a small tub.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:44 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
If you don't intend to take baths in the bathtub, then it's worth to YOU to have it removed, and the space re-purposed - like build a walk-in shower. You don't want to completely rid off either one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House