Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 05:56 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
We had one in our last house. The only time it got used was to clean out the litter boxes.
My neighbor also uses it for the cat boxes however they are taking it our for a huge shower. Poor cat needs another place now-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 05:59 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
We have one that we've never used. I clean the dust out of it once in a while.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:08 PM

525 posts, read 660,431 times
OP are you saying the houses you are looking at are more expensive BECAUSE of the tub? Or are the houses you are looking at tend to have such tubs?

I think its a personal thing, and you have to decide on location, then house, then this tub issue.

But of you really just want to know, I hate those giant tubs, though a claw foot/soaker tub would be nice. We are adding another bath (our house has 3 bedrooms and 1 bath). Current has a tub, so the new bath will be a + even if it were a 1/2 bath. We are opting for a large shower, not exactly the size you'd call a "2 person" but enough for a bench and space that I could shave my legs without performing some maneuvers I have seen in yoga. I take maybe 2 baths a year, about the same amount as my climate gets to freezing. Just enough to warm me back up again. But I need *A* bath in the house to wash the dog in. The 2 piece in the current is enough. It really is a luxury item, more like a second oven?

Old 06-10-2016, 07:58 PM

22,165 posts, read 19,217,049 times
we had a home with a soaker tub with jacuzzi jets in the master suite and maybe used it twice in 9 years primarily because the home also had an outdoor hot tub on a wooded acre which we used all the time, almost every night for the 9 years we were in that home even in 3 feet of snow we were outdoors in the hot tub. The master bath also had a separate shower, we used that primarily. And the other bathroom had a combination tub/shower, which the kids used for their x3 bedrooms.

however when it came time to sell the house, the soaking tub definitely helped with resale.

my son recently bought a home with a master bath that has wood-paneled sauna; separate shower; and combination tub shower. No soaking tub, so in my view it is much more pleasing and functional. It is great to walk back and forth between the the hot sauna and the cold shower for excellent hydrotherapy. Deeeeeeeluxe.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:05 PM

22,165 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Of all these comments, I like the idea best of having a hot tub outside and a large walk in shower in the house. Are hot tubs set up for ease of entry and exit for older folks?
when we put in our outdoor hot tub, we designed our own deck around the hot tub, with the hot tub in the center, sunk in the deck at bench height, with a bench all the way around the hot tub. So it was very easy to get in and out of the hot tub from the bench just sit on the bench with legs only in the tub, or sit in the hot tub itself. The bench was also very handy to set towels and food and drinks. And easy to get in and out of the tub to cool off in between and still be part of the group. It also saved having a bunch of chairs on the deck by having the bench around the hot tub.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:20 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
A tub might be an asset at resale making it desirable for families with small children. I don't believe we have used our tub since our son was preschool age. He himself isnowa father.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:56 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
I love them. My partner also enjoys bubble baths so even if bubble baths aren't my thing, he can still enjoy them. My ideal bathtub is a vintage style clawfoot. THOSE are adorable!

Old 06-11-2016, 08:28 AM

78 posts, read 92,396 times
I love our soaker tub (no jets) which we had installed when we bought our house. I use it probably 3 times a week at least. We also have a claw foot in our guest bathroom which I have yet to use, mostly due to its location. A house with no tub at all would be a deal breaker for me but I think I am in the minority on that one. We are thinking about adding another bath at some point and I would definitely put a walk in shower in that one for some variety.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:49 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I love them. My partner also enjoys bubble baths so even if bubble baths aren't my thing, he can still enjoy them. My ideal bathtub is a vintage style clawfoot. THOSE are adorable!
Adorable yes...But extremely difficult for senior citizens to get out of.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:55 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
Except older people often find tubs to be unsafe. Climbing in and out of a tub can be very dangerous for an older person. Grab rails can help, but for the person with limited upper body strength and flexibility, the tub can still be difficult to use safely.
Not that old. I'm old enough to appreciate a nice bath once in a while, and still young enough to get out. In isn't the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House