Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 09:06 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I'm assuming by "soaker tub" that you mean a large bathtub.

I have an oversized tub in my master bath and I use it almost every time I bathe. I have fibromyalgia and a bad knee, which makes it hard to stand in the shower sometimes, and also hard to maneuver around in and to get in and out of the smaller tub. The large tub also has hand bars built into the side to help with getting down and back up again! Nice.

So, I like my oversized "garden tub" (that's what they used to call them), but I don't care for the Jacuzzi part....I rarely use it and I don't like having to clean around the jets. Also, spiders like to make their homes in them sometimes and come out and float around in the bath water sometimes. Spiders don't bother me, but they might bother someone else. I hate thinking about the water that may be left in the jets when the tub is drained also. I never see any evidence of yuck, but still....
The jets can easily be cleaned by filling the tub and adding some household bleach and dishwasher detergent (yes, they can be safely mixed).

From Kohler:

Fill the bath with warm water to a level 2" above the highest jets, or leave water in the bath after using. Add 2 teaspoons of a low-foaming, powder automatic dishwashing detergent and 20 ounces of household bleach (5% to 6% sodium hypochlorite) to the water. Run the whirlpool for 5 to 10 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 01:29 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizrulesSD View Post
My wife and I have been looking to move from our townhome to a SFH and notice that most have a soaker tub. My question is who actually uses these on a regular basis? Everyone I have talked to says that they rarely use it.

Should we consider taking it out? If so what feature would be helpful in place of it?
If you have kids that are high school aged they will appreciate it if they throw a party when you are out of town. It is a good place to dump in a few bags of ice and put a keg.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:59 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
It probably depends if YOU would use it. Some people really enjoy their tubs. On the other hand, many rarely if ever use them and they are a waste of space. When we built our house, we opted to put a large custom shower in the master bathroom. It has grab rails and is accessible if one of us should break a leg. We left space for a tub, if some future owner should want to install one; right now that space is occupied by a bench - we put our clothes there when showering... We do have a tub in the second bathroom; it is there mostly for resale value since neither of us likes baths.

I've heard that the trend in real estate is away from tubs in the master bathroom. Some homes do not have them at all, especially homes likely to appeal to empty nesters.
This is interesting. I have a condo, and I have lived here six years and NEVER used the bathtub. I am much taller than normal people and don't fit comfortably into tubs to begin with.

Within a couple of years I am going to be able to rip out and redo the bathroom (I have a 942 s.f. condo, 2 BR, one bath) and I seriously thought about just having a nice shower put in with no tub and wondered if that would affect resale.

Except for one family I know who has the same one-story model I have in this complex, those of us with this unit mostly live alone. If I sell it would therefore likely be to someone like me whose kid(s) is/are grown and lives alone. The second bedroom, in fact, has a single bed in it for when my daughter or someone else visits, but it's my computer and book room, and it has the sliders to go out to my patio and garden. The unit's not really set up for people with kids who need bathtubs. They usually buy the two-story model with the bath and a half.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:06 PM

525 posts, read 660,431 times
We lived in a place in Austin that had these HUGE garden tubs in both bathrooms, and not enough hot water heater to fill the damn things. What a waste of space.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:13 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,197,375 times
I would remove the tub and put in a large walk in shower. We have 4 bathrooms, 3 have tubs. We never use ours. So we are looking to remove it and make a large walk in shower.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:01 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
We needed a tub in bone colour to match our sink and toilet when we built our house 3 years ago.

A regular tub would have been fine if it had matched, but the company we deal with sent us a soaker tub. NEVER use it. A total waste of money.

Even when we get older and might want to soak in a tub, the sides are so high it won't be easy to get in and out of without some sort of assistance.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:17 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I am a bath person and take one every night in my antique claw-foot tub.
A clawfoot or a standard tub are both so much easier to get in and out of than those monstrous soaking tubs. Especially the ones that are built up on a pedestal of sorts. I look at those and just shake my head ...

I don't have a master bathroom, so I'd never take out the tub. I do use it on occasion, when I need to clean the blinds.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:44 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is interesting. I have a condo, and I have lived here six years and NEVER used the bathtub. I am much taller than normal people and don't fit comfortably into tubs to begin with.

Within a couple of years I am going to be able to rip out and redo the bathroom (I have a 942 s.f. condo, 2 BR, one bath) and I seriously thought about just having a nice shower put in with no tub and wondered if that would affect resale.

Except for one family I know who has the same one-story model I have in this complex, those of us with this unit mostly live alone. If I sell it would therefore likely be to someone like me whose kid(s) is/are grown and lives alone. The second bedroom, in fact, has a single bed in it for when my daughter or someone else visits, but it's my computer and book room, and it has the sliders to go out to my patio and garden. The unit's not really set up for people with kids who need bathtubs. They usually buy the two-story model with the bath and a half.
I think having a nice shower is ok for what you are describing. When I built my place a couple of years ago, I opted for a large walk in shower with a built in bench, beautiful tile, a frameless glass door, and nice shower panel. The bathroom isn't that large, so I would have had to squeeze in a tiny shower if I wanted to put a soaker tub in there, and as someone who only takes showers, that would be a waste for me.

However, I do have a second full bath with a standard tub/shower in it, which is appropriate for homes in my family oriented neighborhood as it's likely that when the time comes to sell, people with young kids will make up the majority of my pool of potential buyers.

Conventional wisdom says there should be at least one tub, and I tend to agree with that in general terms. But with a one bath condo in what is obviously not a family oriented building, I think a luxurious shower has more appeal to the majority of your potential buyers.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:49 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Our master bathroom is HUGE, so it would look silly without the Jacuzzi. We use it more often in the colder months.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:31 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,417,131 times
Mine isn't a waste of space. The dryer rack stays in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House