Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2016, 09:52 PM

137 posts, read 256,733 times

Advertisements

Building a new construction and I'm able to choose the placement for the gas stub. I won't be using it and I don't even grill. I'm just putting it in for resale value and convenience if ever I went to or the next owner.

Any advice is welcomed and appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Best placement for gas stub on patio-5601c4f1a19e6_556-ext-out-liv_orig-2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 10:20 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
I'm reading that print as a "covered" patio. Is that correct?

If it is, don't bother with the gasline. Most AHJ's are passing ordinates/making code changes that heavily restrict or just flat out band the use of "open flame" equipment "under roof".

Kinda the same scenario that they are implementing at apartment complexes- no grills on decks; especially those that "stack".

Old 07-17-2016, 10:27 PM

Yes, it's going to be a covered patio. I haven't heard of those regulations. There are a lot of buyers that put in outdoor patio kitchens.

Anyways, since I am putting it in do you have a suggestion? Friend suggested far right column which I agreed. Just wanted more opinions.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldmco View Post
Yes, it's going to be a covered patio. I haven't heard of those regulations. There are a lot of buyers that put in outdoor patio kitchens.

Anyways, since I am putting it in do you have a suggestion? Friend suggested far right column which I agreed. Just wanted more opinions.
I gave my suggestion.
And, just because "everybody else does it" doesn't make it right. As much as I know that sounds like a smart-ass remark, you'd be surprised how many times a week I get asked similar questions, show the actual code in black&white, and still get- "but so-n-so did it".

Even if your AHJ doesn't have any restrictions/codes that prevent this, I would hope that you would see the potential for disaster and refrain. Yes, there are "outdoor" kitchens with gas grills- but not all are "under roof".

Old 07-17-2016, 11:16 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
If it's allowed - then I agree that the far right corner would be the best spot. Plus, if the kitchen can't be undercover, they could build it just outside the covered area, and that far right corner would work best, in my opinion, because of the traffic flow. It would be out of the way of foot traffic.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:12 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I gave my suggestion.
And, just because "everybody else does it" doesn't make it right. As much as I know that sounds like a smart-ass remark, you'd be surprised how many times a week I get asked similar questions, show the actual code in black&white, and still get- "but so-n-so did it".

Even if your AHJ doesn't have any restrictions/codes that prevent this, I would hope that you would see the potential for disaster and refrain. Yes, there are "outdoor" kitchens with gas grills- but not all are "under roof".

I think if it is allowed by code, which it is in many areas, he should do it.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
If it's allowed - then I agree that the far right corner would be the best spot. Plus, if the kitchen can't be undercover, they could build it just outside the covered area, and that far right corner would work best, in my opinion, because of the traffic flow. It would be out of the way of foot traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Thanks! I thought so too since the far right is on the side of the house and traffic will be mainly coming from the backdoor left side or from the backyard.

I'm in TX and I see patio kitchens and fireplaces all the time under the roof.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldmco View Post
Thanks! I thought so too since the far right is on the side of the house and traffic will be mainly coming from the backdoor left side or from the backyard.

I'm in TX and I see patio kitchens and fireplaces all the time under the roof.
Texas here also....and it is almost a requirement down here to have an outdoor kitchen....lol

Old 07-18-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I certainly hope you read the irony in your statement...

As with pretty much everything else in life, the only constant is change. Just because there isn't a code restriction now doesn't mean there won't be. And, as I previously stated the potential for disaster is right there! Do you have any idea how many house fires are started by grills?

Old 07-18-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I certainly hope you read the irony in your statement...

As with pretty much everything else in life, the only constant is change. Just because there isn't a code restriction now doesn't mean there won't be. And, as I previously stated the potential for disaster is right there! Do you have any idea how many house fires are started by grills?
You can say the same about smoking cigarettes inside a house...
Well ...down south, outdoor kitchens (under covered patios) is a constant....and has been for years. They aren't going anywhere no time soon. Stop being a spoil sport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House