Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 02:14 PM

131 posts, read 220,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Since you're being a bit hardheaded about the answers your getting-

Here's my WAG-

When you're ready to heed the advice you have already received, let us know what the 3-4 quotes come out to- along with a breakdown of material cost, labor cost. Then, while you're at it let us know what part of the country this work will be performed- Then everyone will know the cost for your area.

I'm asking about a fairly specific job here so if you can be of no help then don't respond. Give someone who is familiar with this type of work a chance to chime in. I'm not an auto mechanic but can certainly give people reasonable price estimates on getting car work done being I know a lot about cars. If for some reason I didn't know I'd let someone else who is more knowledgeable (perhaps a mechanic) respond and wouldn't keep telling them they need to go to a shop to find out. Telling them sarcastically it's going to cost anywhere up to "$5,382.78" when you have no clue is useless sarcasm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
My mom just paid $1250 to have this done, Cleveland OH area.

Thank you this is helpful!

In case it wasn't clear I'm looking to change this outdated 100 amp circuit breaker board with a newer type 100 amp board.
Attached Thumbnails
How much should electrician charge to replace my old 100 amp circuit breaker box with new one?-sdc16451.jpg  

Old 08-02-2016, 03:00 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
First, you conceal your location. That is always suspect to me. A heavy-up in McLean, VA is a lot more than Carencro, LA.

If you expect a permit, add $200-300 on top of the work. If the job is easy and I can park my truck right outside your garage where the panel is, look at $900-1200.

If your panel is in your son's bedroom and there's drywall work involved, add MANY hundreds. Many, many hundreds.
Second, a 100 amp panel is sub-standard. That's what I have for my shop/garage.

For a little more you can move up to 150 or 200.
So your range is $900-$2,000 for a 100 Amp. Add for more circuits. Add for permit.

Does that help?

Old 08-02-2016, 03:00 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
If you are looking for an order of magnitude, what I have seen is typically in the vicinity of $2,000 - $3,000. However depending on the conditions, type of box you want, type of breakers needed, etcetera, you could spend a few hundred less or four thousand more (maybe even more).

Are you gong to need GFCI breakers? They are expensive. Arc fault breakers are also expensive. What brand do you want. Some brands are far more pricey.

Is there some problem you are trying to solve by updating? A box is just a box. most new breakers fit fine in an older box. What do you want new? why?

Also since the cost difference is usually minimal, it makes sense to upgrade to at least 200 amps so you do not need to do it again. If I was doing it, I would probably jump to 300 amps. The trend is for higher and higher amperage boxes and if you have an extremely outdated 100 amps only, it can impact the desirability of your home to potential buyers. Not to mention I find myself constantly adding new circuits here and there.

We have a 200 amp panel, a 100 amp sub panel that came with the generator, another 100 amp sub panel in the carriage house and a 50 amp sub panel that is built into the chlorine generator and pump control unit for the pool. For now there are plenty of available slots, but given my plan to add AC units, some more outlets, garage door opener, and a 220 V outlet in the workshop area of the garage for either a high voltage tool (like a radial arm saw), or for a fast charger for a someday electric car, they will soon be pretty full. You can never have too much panel capacity. 100 amps is the power of the 1980s. 200 has been standard for a long time.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:22 PM

The Panel is in the basement (see pic in earlier post) and we feel 100 amp is plenty for this house but wanted to upgrade to modern circuit breakers. We're in NJ and prices are probably higher than some other areas. We got 1 quote so far for $2,800 and seems a little high so getting another quote tomorrow. We're not looking to get the cheapest equipment out there but trying not to overpay either so that's why I'm asking. Thanks again!

Old 08-02-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live-life View Post
The Panel is in the basement (see pic in earlier post) and we feel 100 amp is plenty for this house but wanted to upgrade to modern circuit breakers. We're in NJ and prices are probably higher than some other areas. We got 1 quote so far for $2,800 and seems a little high so getting another quote tomorrow. We're not looking to get the cheapest equipment out there but trying not to overpay either so that's why I'm asking. Thanks again!
Ask how much more for 200 amps. It is probably less than 10% more. When we looked into it for a former house the price difference was $0 because the 200 amp panels are more common so the pricing is more competitive. If so, why not prepare for the future now?

Old 08-02-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Ask how much more for 200 amps. It is probably less than 10% more. When we looked into it for a former house the price difference was $0 because the 200 amp panels are more common so the pricing is more competitive. If so, why not prepare for the future now?
Thanks!

Old 08-02-2016, 04:01 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Here you go. Plug in your zip code.
Cost to Upgrade Electrical Service Panel - 2016 Cost Calculator (ZipCode based)

Old 08-02-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
This is neat, but the price is about 40% low for our area. I wonder how it does for other areas?

Old 08-02-2016, 04:15 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Haven't done that upgrade, but with others it has been pretty spot on. Do check out the details of what that estimate entails. Just a 100a and 20 circuit connections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House