Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2016, 09:57 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times

Advertisements

I noticed in my community two contractors seem to get most of the jobs to put new roofs on houses ( mostly shingles, a few metal roofs )

What I have noticed as I go for my daily walks is that seldom is the crew kept on the jobsite continuously until the roofing job is completed.

A couple of the home owners have stated the old shingles get removed, then the crew says their boss called them to a different job for a few days and the exposed roof is left. (we do get rain here )

After observing this, when I need my roof replaced I will want it in the contract that the crew is there every day until the roofing job is done.

Anybody else ever have a problem with roofing jobs getting drawn out due to crews being pulled in the middle of the job ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 10:06 AM

983 posts, read 1,180,844 times
Just had my roof replaced in the middle of summer 2016

The roofers showed up 3 days in a row to knock it out

Day 1 tear off and put the barrier plastic down. Took from approx. 8am - 1pm to do this. Around 2pm supply house loaded -staged all the new shingle bundles up on the roof

Day 2 roofers started at approx. 8am and worked hard till around 1pm. I talked with them and they said is best to return following morning to finish the job as was so hot ( maybe 85degrees ) that walking on the new shingles could slightly damage them.

Day 3 arrived 8am and were completely finished by alittle after noon

30 squares job architectural shingles.

My buddy owns the roofing company so I know they were factual in the info shared with me

I was also told that the underlayment is such good material it can act as a roof for weeks before shingles are nailed on

If a good roofing crew suspects rain - they will only tear off what can be quickly covered up if the SHTF

Old 11-19-2016, 10:36 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
I had my roof done this past March, it was 8 days of labor for 57 squares.

They didn't pull all of the shingles but worked in sections (I have a complex roof, 17 faces, 10 valleys, hips, it's just a mess from several add-ons), but the roof was NEVER left open. Anything they took off, was at Least covered with felt and that was just the edges between sections. The only time they weren't on-site was between the 7th and 8th day, thinking they were done until I found dozens of more than 1sq/ft holes where they had broken the decking and the shingles were not supported. So they came back to fix those roughly 8~10 days later (after some other contract jobs)...

So long as the wood is covered with felt, you're fine. Well, so long as the felt stays attached, you're fine...

On another house, I went from shingle to metal and they just put the metal on top of the shingles in about 4 hours (was WAY cheaper than re-shingling just due to install time).

Old 11-19-2016, 12:25 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
I suspect that there may be inspections that are causing some of this delay.

(An aside here, please take a moment to put at least your state on the location line. Home and garden comments and advice can vary wildly from Alaska to Florida, Maine to Hawaii. Sometimes in looking at posts cold, the experience of the reader is "What color should I paint my aardvark?" when we didn't even know you had an aardvark, much less what color you might want to paint it. If you think the location information somehow allows you to be tracked online compared to other ways of tracking, you need to buy a clue.)

In south Florida, there is an inspection of the deck, then an inspection of the felting for proper attachment, then an inspection of the final roof before there is a sign-off. You wait on the inspector. If the job isn't done right, you wait on the inspector, wait on the contractor to correct the issue, then wait on the inspector again. Three guesses what happens if you don't wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House