Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 02:55 PM

85 posts, read 332,967 times

Advertisements

We are remodeling our bathroom. Our cast iron tub is 60 years old, and has some erosion near the drain. Would you recommend trying to repair the erosion and re-glazing the tub, or replacing it all together?

Last edited by stephen n; 08-21-2016 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: Added link to picture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 05:04 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
The COSMETICS of an old tub almost always warrant re-glazing.

The question comes down to the condition of the TILE
To replace the tub requires seriously damaging the tile at least;
usually it's completely stripped to the studs.

Hire a real pro.
Last I heard $400 will get it done.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:16 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
It costs about $400. It does not last as long or look as good as original, but you end up with a better tub. Those flimsy fiberglass things they use in most homes are awful and flex under your weight (and eventually start to leak). However with cast iron you have to make certain the area around the drain hole has not rusted out. They tend to rust there, I think because you have two different types of metal touching.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:10 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
I would probably base my decision on more than just what is happening on the surface.

From the single picture it is impossible to tell what sort of condition the rest of the tub is in, let alone the spigots / valves that supply it and the tile that surrounds it. If there are no major issues with the rest of plumbing and the overall condition of the bathroom is such that you can expect both many more years of service from it and potential buyers would find it acceptable then it makes sense to reglaze the tub. If the rest of the supply to the tub as in poor condition, there are issues with the tile, or the whole bathroom is such that the smarter move is to tear things out that decision is one would you should be trying to make NOW...

The "reglazing" firms typically use a kind of catalyzed coating and depending on how bad the "erosion" is around your existing drain they'll have a hard time "building up" the worn material. Some firms have the ability to use different kinds of material as a filler to achieve a surface that is closer to the original, but that can be time consuming especially when the tub is not taken back to their shop. You need to ask about how slippery the re-coated will be too, many firms offer different finishes to give a more 'slip resistant' surface but if they get that wrong it can wasted effort...

Old 08-22-2016, 12:01 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
I had to deal with this issue myself in the past 2 years. With a $450 quote to paint and every review out there saying it doesn't look as good or last longer than 5 years for a daily-used tub, and being able to buy a brand new cast iron Kohler for $350 shipped/delivered (some special they were running, apparently they do it every summer), that was a no-brainer replacement. I hated giving up the 85y/o tub, but it was in Very rough shape.

A second tub is more specialty, it only connects on 2 sides and has 2 finished sides, more decorative, nicer design and I didn't want to muck about in that bathroom (took me 2 years to get to the point where I refinished that room), so we used the $50 DIY kit for re-coating. It's VERY easy and looks as good as the prep you do ahead of time (don't expect a factory looking smooth/glossy porcelain, you can expect it to look like the high-gloss paint that it really is). No idea on how it'll hold up as that tub has been used once in the 2 years we've owned the house and I'll be shocked if it's used more than 1 time in the next 2 years. The worst I can say about it is that the odors are right at the worst of anything I've dealt with as a remodeled or a mechanic ~ the package even says to limit yourself to 5 minutes of continuous contact. A box-fan sucking the fumes out the window kept the house from getting TOO bad, but I wouldn't want kids around that stuff.

Apparently you can also get a 3D designed "slip cover" that fits 100% exactly, it's plastic that fits over the cast iron. I've only seen bits and blurbs about this, but it might be another option to look into if you're in an urban area.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:11 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
My mom had her footed cast-iron tub re-glazed and it didn't last long. Probably due to the person who did it, though.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:33 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times
my clawfoot tub had the same problem so I repaired it with bondo and white auto paint. that was 15 years ago and it still looks great.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:41 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
If it's rusted it may be rusted through or close to it. When I do a remodel I replace with new cast iron. Last few houses were fiberglass which sucks

Old 08-23-2016, 08:49 AM

27 posts, read 23,829 times
Once the tubs are refinished they are definitely more delicate and you cannot use any abrasive cleaners on them at all. The only recommended cleaner is dish soap and no abrasive cloths or mr clean erasers. If you are comfortable maintaining and cleaning the tub without the abrasive cleaners go for it.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:31 PM

468 posts, read 523,790 times
I strongly recommend against reglazing. I had it done professionally, and was not happy with the durability of the result. You have to be extremely careful about what you clean it with, and if you drop anything hard on it you can chip through the finish.

I was so fed up with the reglazing job, I had one of those acrylic tub liners installed instead.

Replace the tub. You'll be happier in the end. It's what I wish I had done instead of letting my otherwise wonderful contractor talk me in to the reglazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House