Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 09:26 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,848,200 times

Advertisements

I have a driveway with a slight curve and I am having problems when people are backing up, they backup onto the grass instead of staying on the driveway... I thought maybe a small brick wall, pole, tree but I figured they would still hit those objects at night... I thought about a bush but don't want anything to upkeep... anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 09:27 AM

22,571 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Better lighting along the driveway?

Old 09-09-2016, 10:12 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
If you put a wall or a pole, they'll just damage their cars. I'm sure the grass is not happy that they're running over it, but as long as you're not having guests do this on a daily basis, the grass will recover. If the grass is dying where they're driving on it, maybe take out that section of grass and put gravel instead? You could make a flower bed with some shrubs along the edge (bushes don't take a lot of upkeep, trim them twice a year and that's about it) and gravel on the side by the driveway.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:54 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,852,547 times
Maybe those flexible driveway marker stakes? You could try putting those alongside the drive in the area where they are backing off the drive and into the grass. They are flexible enough to bend instead of damaging the vehicle but they will let the driver know he or she is off course.

I have seen dead grass and/or tire tracks in the dirt beside driveways, especially narrow driveways or those that curve. It is unsightly. If you work hard to keep your yard and grass nice you don't want tire tracks in it.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:20 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,050,093 times
We had the same problem, people backing up on our lawn and even into the mailbox!
We finally lined the drive with Belgium Block-

https://www.google.com/search?q=belg...Bd0-PgEOYVM%3A

We set them fairly high and put concrete between them. That was well over 15 years ago, no problems since!

Old 09-09-2016, 11:33 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,414,637 times
Block off the drive and let them park on the street if they can't manage to control their vehicles and stay on the paved surface. I've had to do that in the past after 3 people in less than a week did fairly major damage when driving into my dry creek bed (drainage route) and hitting the massive boulders I had to alert people there was something they might want to pay attention to.

So, instead of those complaints/issues, I just blocked off the drive when I knew people were coming and made them park on the street. Family had a hissy fit (without much pause from their Previous hissy fits over our boulder placement a foot off the paved driveway), but they got over it. Your property, do what you need to do so it remains in the condition you find appealing.

Ours was worse, it was curved AND uphill. Very difficult to back down, much easier to back out of.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:34 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,404,101 times
What's your driveway surface? Stone, dirt or paved?

If paved, you could always dig down about 3" deep and about 6-8" out the sides of the driveway then re-plant grass (so it looks nice).

This will create a little ditch that people will feel if a tire falls into it. Hopefully, they're courteous enough to pull forward and correct their angle.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:03 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
My resolve would be "Don't park in my driveway!"

Why should "I" be inconvenienced by "your" bad driving skills? This again proves that people are not taught how to Operate a vehicle- note: I didn't say "drive a car".

Old 09-09-2016, 12:14 PM

306 posts, read 365,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
We had the same problem, people backing up on our lawn and even into the mailbox!
We finally lined the drive with Belgium Block-

We set them fairly high and put concrete between them. That was well over 15 years ago, no problems since!
Was going to suggest flexible poles until I saw this. Much better looking solution. Might still need the poles if you get snow where're you're at though.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:25 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Pressure sensors at the side of the driveway, rigged to a speaker system that emits a blood curdling scream when triggered.

alternatively - turntable.

With long drives, a turnaround spot is common.

Just playing around, if you only had one visitor at a time and your visitors had rear wheel drive, you could rig a cradle that would lift the front tires onto it, and then underneath it flanged wheels would ride on track to guide the vehicle where you wanted.

The ultimate solution is a child's bike, chained strategically and discretely to the center of the drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House