Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 01:39 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It is possible, but I imagine it would be expensive, it would damage curb appeal eating up about a third of my front yard, and sitting on my front porch I would be looking at the driveway instead of my lawn.
Our lots for SFHs here are minimum 10K sq feet. So plenty of room to widen the driveway to the side of the garage that's away from the house, if you know what I mean. Blacktop is only a couple of thousand bucks.

That's the only side we can put it on. Not allowed to widen it in front of the house.
Quote:
The solution isn't too tough (moving a fence/gate further back so there is room for tandem parking 2 cars in the driveway).
Yeah but that still means one car behind the other, and "musical chair" with the cars. Our single driveways are already LONG enough, but that doesn't help if the first person in needs to leave first in the morning. People here widen the drives so they don't have to deal with that….so one car can pull in the garage or be in the driveway and the other car can park or leave.

Last edited by selhars; 09-14-2016 at 01:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 01:44 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Yes, I have seen the homes on alleys with garages. But the ones I am talking about have no garage or driveway at all. They park on the street.

I travel past quite a few of these homes on my way to work, and I have seen several cars smashed by passing cars over the years. "Smash and grab" crimes are common.

I know one person who lives in one of these homes. She lives on a busy street that is heavily traveled toward downtown in the morning and away from downtown in the afternoon. Because of this there is no parking on the east side of the street from 6:00 am to 9:00 am and no parking on the west side from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm. The residents have to move their cars if they are parked there during the day, from one side to the other.

She has received several parking tickets and one tow/impound fee because she works third shift and has overslept and missed the time to move her car to the other side of the street.

I can't imagine ever living in such a neighborhood. The idea having to move my vehicle to avoid fines and/or being towed is incomprehensible. I simply would never put myself in such a position.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:52 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Not everyone can afford a home with a garage, detached or otherwise. Other people would rather live in denser, older neighborhoods, many of the homes in which do not have garages or driveways. Other people don't have cars, and don't give a rat's behind about a garage.

It's a big world out there! Not everyone is just like you.

I have a garage, but it's very narrow and my car doesn't fit inside. My next car may be a Honda Fit. Get it?

Ummm, no.

Seriously ... Leaving any valuables in the car, even inside a locked garage, is just plain dumb.

I have lots of tools in my garage. What's in my truck is minor in comparison. Besides, I've never had anyone break into my garage in any of the houses I have owned.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:50 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,872 times
Quote:
I have lots of tools in my garage. What's in my truck is minor in comparison. Besides, I've never had anyone break into my garage in any of the houses I have owned.
This. Except when I've accidentally left the garage door open all night. You know how that works - you leave it open because you're gonna run another errand soon, then you get in the house and LIFE happens ...

Old 09-14-2016, 05:53 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
No how.
No way.
No shape.
No form.

Other than that, no.

This. As I said in the other thread, I'm a car guy and could live in a 10 car garage with a lean-to for sleeping.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:23 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
The house would have to be perfect and enough room to add a 3-/4car garage.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:33 AM

633 posts, read 581,734 times
I have had a car for 36 years. I drive every day. Never once in 36 years have I had a garage, driveway or parking spot. Always on the street.

Over years a few minor things, one car stolen, a drunk driver plowed into rear of car, got side swiped, three broken windows, broken mirror, stolen radio, bashed tailight or two, eggs and shaving cream on one or two holloweens, a tire slashed and a few minor things. Nothing big. Now I am on a good streak. Been at least two years since it got hit.

Only odd one was back in late 1980s in NYC I parked on this desolate street in winter that was a rare no alternate side of street parking block in NYC. My car was getting a funky smell. One day I come back, passenger door open, passenger seat is back and a wet spot in cloth seats. I knew in an instant what happened. Dam hookers. were giving BJs in my car. I guess they saw car rarely moved no alarm and it was easy to pop the door as it was an older car.

Driveways and Garages are for sissys. Do you think Bear Grylls needs a carport.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:04 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Nope - if I going to buy a house rather than a townhome or condo that I expect to have a garage so my car is protected and I have a place to store things like vacuum cleaners, carpet shampooers, Christmas stuff, etc.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:22 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I can't imagine ever living in such a neighborhood. The idea having to move my vehicle to avoid fines and/or being towed is incomprehensible. I simply would never put myself in such a position.
It could be getting out of that position at least for those in my city that started this after having no residential street sweeping for 150 years.

We pay an extra fee and the city says the tickets generated help to bridge the budget gap...

So this happened after we all bought.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:44 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
This is relative to the area you are buying in...
Like some people refuse to buy house w/o a gas stove...
Not all areas of my town/state have natural gas lines so getting a gas stove is just not going to happen in those neighborhoods...

If I were in the market for a house in a neighborhood where garages were not the norm...
I am thinking high density California coastline like Malibu where some homes had garages converted to much more expensive living space...then maybe I buy w/o garage...

But in normal SFR neighborhood with standard 2-car garage as the norm...to buy a home w/o a garage is just stupid IMO... Ho e across street from us in prior neighborhood had had the attached garage converted into living space and the people lived wo garage for years. This is DFW TX area w/limited snow and ice. They sold and people who bought wanted to build detached garage which required zoning exemption because of property lines...most neighbors thought it would be better to agree to exemption so cars could be parked in garage vs on driveway all the time...but they just as often parked on slab and stored crap in garage afterwards...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House