Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2016, 11:10 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,868,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIT77 View Post
...wow location is everything I see. I leave nothing in the interior of my car and my trunk locked.

Of course I live in oakland, CA and I'd do that even if I had a garage.

Still, this seems like not a safe habit to practice, in my opinion

To your original it goes back to location, if I lived someplace with a brutal winter than it'd have to be a really good bargain for that house (not just a cheap house) I'd consider it.
I have lived in my current home for 9 years and there haven't been any car break-ins in my neighborhood. The only thefts in the area were in unlocked cars parked in the street with visible valuable items inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 11:20 AM

22,871 posts, read 6,447,572 times
No, we have a 3 car garage which I really like.....

Old 09-14-2016, 11:22 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,731,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIT77 View Post
...wow location is everything I see. I leave nothing in the interior of my car and my trunk locked.

Of course I live in oakland, CA and I'd do that even if I had a garage.

Still, this seems like not a safe habit to practice, in my opinion

To your original it goes back to location, if I lived someplace with a brutal winter than it'd have to be a really good bargain for that house (not just a cheap house) I'd consider it.
I live in Oakland and thankfully not had a problem.

That said just about everyone I know that parks on the street has had problems... mostly sideswipe damage to cars being totaled...

Can't street how important it is to have at least off street parking and even more so with density increasing... hard to find a street spot the last few years.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:22 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,813,463 times
I would buy a house without a garage if the price was right and if I could build one. I prefer a detached 2 car garage. If there is no room for a garage then I would consider buying the house for a rental property if the price was right. I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:48 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,603,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBeachBum View Post
Why do neighbors care where I park my car as long as it is not in front of their house? Also most folks move their car out of garage before a snow storm. For instance my block growing up most houses had 80 foot driveways. if you put it in a garage and it snows overnight, you have to shovel 80 feet of driveway to get out.

So neighbors would all have bumper of car hanging over sidewalk and a piece of cardboard over windshield to prevent ice.

I had a 90 foot long driveway. I would simply fire up the John Deere and make a few passes. Or I'd just power my way out. Everything we had was AWD or 4WD.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:00 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,567,850 times
When it's 15 degrees outside (or raining), and I have a parking garage underneath my office at work, one of the true luxuries is to go from one garage to another without having to be exposed to the elements. I used to live in Chicago for a few years. Had a two-car garage that was utterly useless for using for my car, due to configuration on the lot (back of the house with a sharp turn in/out). Had to park outside in the driveway. After 3 years of that, I swore never again will I get into a frozen car on a daily/routine basis. I HATED that!!

Old 09-14-2016, 12:03 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,603,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
As far as I'm concerned, a garage is guaranteed parking, keeps your car (more) safe, and eliminates the problem of dealing with the elements (extreme cold, heat, hail, snowstorms, etc.) So no, I wouldn't be inclined to buy a place without a garage.

I thought that too. Until I found a strange vehicle blocking my way into my garage. And this was in a subdivision of SF homes. I tried checking with the neighbors on either side and got no answer. So I hooked up my tow strap, put it in 4WD and dragged it out into the street. Park in my driveway and I will take matters into my own hands.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:20 PM

5,854 posts, read 5,295,343 times
In our old house, we didn't have a garage and a shared driveway. When I first moved in, there wasn't any on-street parking. We usually parked in front of the house. But, some people would park way in back-or on our side of the driveway.

Cat

Old 09-14-2016, 12:21 PM

4,038 posts, read 2,726,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I thought that too. Until I found a strange vehicle blocking my way into my garage. And this was in a subdivision of SF homes. I tried checking with the neighbors on either side and got no answer. So I hooked up my tow strap, put it in 4WD and dragged it out into the street. Park in my driveway and I will take matters into my own hands.
Well, okay, true--I had a neighbor do that at my old neighborhood as well (parking in my driveway.) But at least in that instance, you have legal recourse to get 'em out of your way and claim your space, unlike trying to find parking on a street or in a parking lot.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:55 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,140,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^^ Can you widen your driveway? With county permit approval we're allowed to do that where I live. Lot's of people have done that here.

Lot's of houses here have also enclosed their garages to become living space. Those houses were NOT an option.
Some models have two garages where ONE bay, closest to the house was inclosed and the other one was still a garage. THAT I would have considered. But NO garage -- Hehl no.
To me, turning the garage into "people space" is, not to put too fine a point on it, one of the STUPIDEST things a homeowner can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House