Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 03:27 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,132,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Sometimes, I can't believe what I'm reading.

Does this type of reading cause carbon monoxide poisoning? Or maybe I've been inhaling carbon monoxide gas and it's making me delirious?
Maybe the pilot light went out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 04:02 PM

17,482 posts, read 66,171,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Maybe the pilot light went out!

Assuming that the thermocouple is not working...

Old 09-19-2016, 04:12 PM

17,482 posts, read 66,171,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Ooo. Coal fired or natural gas AC also releases massive quantities of radon. Lung cancer here we come.

Come on Larry- we have to keep at least some continuity to this conversation. Burning coal or natural gas doesn't produce Radon. But, there are several other compounds that DO cause lung cancer.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:53 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,618,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I probably would have left propane out of the list considering that a complete burn yields carbon DIOXIDE and water vapor. But then again, maybe the cover was restricting the oxygen so there wasn't a complete burn; resulting in carbon monoxide.(?)
Actually a complete burn of any of those yields no CO. It is incomplete burning that does it.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:04 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,380,004 times
The sarcasm I am reading is hilarious...and It's quite obvious OP has NO CLUE how A/c's work..LOL My first instinct was to say..I'd be more worried about burning out your A/C unit with LACK of air intake..blah blah..

Having said all that..why do people ask such questions..and NOT just look it up on the Internet? Man..Op must have little and NO educational understanding of the difference between A/C units and Heat/Furnace function...Yikes!! Just maybe it's some Kid who posted when he turned on A/C of his parents place..and realized it ..and didn't want his parents to know what he did!! Give him credit tho..at least he worried about the consequences ..That's a thumbs up if that was the scenario. :-)

Old 09-19-2016, 06:14 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,513,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
The sarcasm I am reading is hilarious...and It's quite obvious OP has NO CLUE how A/c's work..LOL My first instinct was to say..I'd be more worried about burning out your A/C unit with LACK of air intake..blah blah..

Having said all that..why do people ask such questions..and NOT just look it up on the Internet? Man..Op must have little and NO educational understanding of the difference between A/C units and Heat/Furnace function...Yikes!! Just maybe it's some Kid who posted when he turned on A/C of his parents place..and realized it ..and didn't want his parents to know what he did!! Give him credit tho..at least he worried about the consequences ..That's a thumbs up if that was the scenario. :-)
My concern is all the people who feel it necessary to ridicule the OP to this extent.

A basic principle I was taught by my parents and teachers when I was growing up in the 50s and 60s, and one which I tried to pass along during my child raising and teaching career was. "There is NO SUCH THING as a dumb question!" If you don't know something, ASK. That is one way you will learn.

Now to the OP, if you are still out there, here is one explanation of how an air conditioner works. And to help calm your fears, there is no Carbon Monoxide involved in the process.

http://http://home.howstuffworks.com/ac.htm

Old 09-19-2016, 07:53 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,260,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Is the air conditioner powered by propane, natural gas, or coal?
Haven't you heard of Obama's new "Clean Coal for Window Air Conditioners" bill? It includes $100 billion for research into how to make coal burn cold instead of hot. However, it may already be obsolete, because of new research into cold fusion. They have to use fusion instead of fission, because, fission powerful enough to power a window air conditioner, can make a house both cold and hot.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:00 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,260,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Ooo. Coal fired or natural gas AC also releases massive quantities of radon. Lung cancer here we come.
That only works with radioactive radon. Radon from an A/C is non-radioactive. The worst thing you can get from non-radioactive radon is APS (acute paranoid schizophrenia) which is not nearly as bad as lung cancer, depending on your point of view.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:07 PM

4,516 posts, read 5,066,504 times
The scary thing is that this person might vote !

Old 09-19-2016, 08:11 PM

621 posts, read 1,126,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
The scary thing is that this person might vote !
You just won the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House