Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 02:19 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,009,154 times

Advertisements

We had to repair our unit during the escrow period of our old home. I asked the repairman which unit he serviced the least and which one he recommended the most. His answer to both was American Standard. When we built our new home 2 years ago we put in American standard and have not had one issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 02:34 PM

955 posts, read 3,648,894 times
I believe Trane and American Standard are made in the same plant.. just different names... my husband works HVAC and that is the general non detailed scoop I believe from the little bit I actually understand that he discusses .

Old 08-03-2008, 07:02 PM

139 posts, read 360,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusySocialWorker View Post
I believe Trane and American Standard are made in the same plant.. just different names... my husband works HVAC and that is the general non detailed scoop I believe from the little bit I actually understand that he discusses .
Trane and American Standard underneath the housing are essentially the same. They are made in the same plant in Texas.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:04 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
American Standard is a subsidary of Trane. It is the economy model. Trane is the top of the line and most efficient line. We took out a Carrier and replaced it with the Trane 19XL with air handler system. Immediately we started saving over 20% on our electric bill each month. Trane also has some rebates, your power company may be offering rebates also. We have been delighted with our Trane, no problems. They give you a 100% unconditional 10 year warranty.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:48 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,768,111 times
I had a trane installed by a Home depot contractor in Schaumbug Il. They ran two pcv pipes thru the roof. I think a intake and a vent. Now it is snowing like crazy and people on the radio are talking about clearing the vent to the outside wall and making sure the snow is cleared off of it. As far as i know the vents and pipes all run to the roof. Shed some light please LEON

Old 02-01-2011, 05:01 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,780,709 times
The new Haers stink, and I know the installers like the Goodman--easy for parts and service. I liked Carrier. They brought A/C to Thailand in 1931. Parts aren't cheap, but they seemed to be extra well made.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:01 AM

563 posts, read 3,743,716 times
OP _ We ended up going with Carrier, 22 seer units that hum along beautifully 4 years later. I did see a big drop in the electric and gas bills the first two years. The biggest difference was after we changed our windows - down to less than a 5th of the bills of the previous owners of the house. Love it!!
Of course, in hindsight we poured a lot into the house VERY fast. Next house we buy I'll be looking for it to be energy efficient or green certified already instead of driving myself into the poor house making it right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House