Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 06:29 PM

915 posts, read 1,624,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
If you have any prescription meds always take the label off before you throw them out.
A great reminder. I would add that you make sure there is nothing at all identifiable from a prescription label. I would even suggest taking the stripped down bottles and throwing them away somewhere other than your trashcan. I don't feel like a druggie but I take more meds now than when I was younger and it really does alert a trash thief that a house might be worth breaking into. I make sure that any instructions with meds aren't even left on a bottle such as soon warnings make it obvious it might be a mind-altering medication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 06:33 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Probably CIA operator.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:33 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Might have been the police looking for evidence of an illegal marijuana grow.

Yep, you are being watched by the FBI, CIA, and Homeland Security. Have you noticed any vans parked in your neighborhood lately with dark tinted back windows ? Bet they are filming too. Just sayin' !

Don

Old 10-17-2016, 08:53 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,313,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Yep, you are being watched by the FBI, CIA, and Homeland Security. Have you noticed any vans parked in your neighborhood lately with dark tinted back windows ? Bet they are filming too. Just sayin' !

Don

Don't forget the wiretap too. They're recording all OP's conversations..

Seriously, OP. Stores, or Amazon sell motion sensor security lights that come on when someone walks near them. I have one that takes batteries. It comes on every time someone, or some furry thing walks near my side door. I'd be concerned too if someone stole my garbage. That's a little weird.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:04 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
I had a garbage bag missing once, like you I was thinking who would steal a garbage bag. Found it the next morning all down the street, kids messing around put it in the street so a car could hit it. It's because of stuff like this you need to be careful about what you put in the garbage.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:53 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,984,285 times
People steal garbage for a variety of things... Pescriptions, Unshredded mail and documents... identity theft etc... I have a camera in front of my house... I believe once its at the end of your driveway..its fair game

Old 10-18-2016, 09:54 AM

1,289 posts, read 937,330 times
Originally Posted by reneeh63
My garbage is locked up in the garage - we aren't allowed to have garbage left out and visible from the street. Minimize the amount of time your trash is accessible - don't put it out until the morning of pickup, etc.. You can shred but that won't stop people from TRYING and stealing your garbage and maybe making a mess of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampywolfgirl View Post
Good point, going to be finding a new place for the cans.
From what I've heard more and more people are beginning to do it this way. If you need to know about whys and wherefores of people stealing garbage there are plenty of ideas online or you could ask your pick up guys, or maybe a police officer, if they've ever heard of people stealing garbage (not just recycle) and what could be behind that.

Last edited by LiaLia; 10-18-2016 at 10:05 AM..

Old 10-18-2016, 10:38 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
It's called identity theft. Any credit card bills you throw away with the credit card number is now their new charge card for internet purchases. Any bank account numbers are now in their possession and you can count on the account being emptied without you knowing it. Any Social Security info will now have them applying for credit cards in your name at their address. Any internet info you might have thrown away can have them into your business looking for all of the above.
It's a good practice to shred any bills or anything with your name on on it. A shredder is not an expensive insurance policy to keep the things you've worked so hard for, yours. DO NOT assume that your computer is safe. If they have your IP address, they can get into the temporary files and glean personal info on you. This comes from my Step son who works at the Pentagon and my nephew who is an administrator for one of the largest companies on Wall Street. I'd take the theft of the garbage VERY seriously. If it were me, I'd be calling ALL of the credit bureaus and report possible identity theft. I'd be calling my bank too. I've had it happen to me. It took me 10 years to finally get it all straight. Luckily I never found out who did it otherwise I'd probably be in prison.
Please. What do you folks do to safeguard your bills, etc., after the postal carrier leaves them in your unsecured mail box? Wouldn't it be a lot easier for an identity thief to pull a bill out of your mail box than to steal whole bags full of garbage HOPING they will find the 1 in a hundred credit card bill that actually has a complete account number on it? And NO bill will also have your expiration date or three digit security number on it, so no value for an online purchase. Think about it.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:44 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
If you have any prescription meds always take the label off before you throw them out.
Nothing that a junkie wants will have a refill on it, so your bottle is worth nothing to them.

Nobody will want to refill your blood pressure or herpes pills.

Searching through a stranger's trash bags to find prescription medications or to find out if anyone in the house is on pain killers is a complete waste of an addict's time. There are far less time consuming methods for them to get a fix.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:06 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
It couldn't possibly be that they changed the pickup route and changed the day?

We had that happen....it's a fair reason as opposed to being secretly under investigation .
That was my thought. The garbage company had a schedule change for some reason, so went to the extra effort to drag cans out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House