Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2016, 01:19 PM

993 posts, read 766,406 times

Advertisements

We moved into a new (to us) home and want to replace the kitchen countertops. The existing countertops are corian, but are a dark color I don't care for. I thought I'd replace them with quartz but after talking to the countertop installer I'm having second thoughts. The installer has a stellar reputation and has been in the business for 40 years.

This is what he told me: If I chose corian, I can have a coved backsplash which over the years looks cleaner behind the sink where the tile meets the countertop.....there is no grout line to get nasty looking and then regrouted. The backsplash comes up only 3/8" and I will tile above that. It will not be the standard 4" backsplash which I dislike. Has anyone out there done this? How does it look?

I had Corian in my previous home and it is a workhorse. I raised kids with those countertops and they still look almost new. I don't have a strong yearning for quartz. I disliked the granite countertops I had in the bathrooms of my previous home.

On the other hand, I want a contemporary look but I think I could replicate the look of quartz depending on my color choice and fabrication style....a rectangular, deep sink....simple edging. Any other ideas?

Another suggestion the installer made was to think about having an integrated Corian sink. Do any of you have experience with those? To my mind, they remind me of the 90s....but I'm sure a new faucet could make it more modern looking. I was going to have a Franke stainless sink installed....again, a tried and true brand I used in two previous homes.

Sooo.....while we hope to stay in this house for 20 years.....it is our retirement home and anything can happen.
If we have to sell, would new Corian countertops be a turnoff to potential buyers? Though as I write that, I can see that's a silly notion. I should just get what I want.

My installer told me he's seeing Corian making a comeback as granite sales are dwindling. Anyone have recent experience with Corian? Would you choose it over quartz? Have you seen any evidence of a new Corian resurgence in kitchens? I guess that my long-winded question. Thank you for taking your time to read this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 01:51 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Honestly? I would go with your knowledge of the tried and true for the way you live.

I'm a firm believer of getting what you like and not what happens to be the style of the times.

As far as the back splash issue, I have no clue.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:29 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Already being discussed here...
http://www.city-data.com/forum/home-...nk-resale.html

Old 11-09-2016, 02:31 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Formica! Rimmed stainless steel sink! After 20 years or so when it looks shabby, replacement is easy and cheap! Butcher block or patterned styles don't show stains hardly at all!

Old 11-09-2016, 02:34 PM

993 posts, read 766,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Thanks. Yes, I know, that is my post. Decided to post it twice thinking more people would read it. Didn't realize until afterward that "interior design" is a sub-category of "house." Don't know if that's against CD rules.

Old 11-09-2016, 03:01 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
Thanks. Yes, I know, that is my post. Decided to post it twice thinking more people would read it. Didn't realize until afterward that "interior design" is a sub-category of "house." Don't know if that's against CD rules.
Yep... double posting is against the TOS. I was letting people know another thread was already in existence, as this one will eventually be deleted by the mods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House