Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 07:58 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times

Advertisements

Yup, check out vintage and antique in order to get good stuff that lasts. Frequently, priced for less, too.

Otherwise, don't get anything made of pressboard or particleboard if you can help it. Look at the bottom of the drawers to see how they're constructed, check out how the wood is fit together. If you don't know what good furniture construction looks like, go look at some really high end furniture and see how it's constructed, then go see if you can find some lower end stuff built the same way.

If there's any woodworkers near you, having furniture made could possibly get you quality furniture, depends on the craftsperson, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 08:11 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
I would try Furnitureland South out of High Point. They sell good furniture for decent prices.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:29 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Rooms to Go is junk furniture. It is cheap, junk furniture, so after a few years you would need to replace it. I have a sofa I bought there a few years ago, and the only reason it's still holding up is that nobody ever sits on it. The fabric is pilling, also. It is the second try at living room furniture. They did exchange the previous sofa which developed a defect, but if they had just given a refund I would have gone elsewhere. Since you are selling the condo anyway, it should hold together until you are long gone.

The thing about rentals is that folks are not as careful as they would be if it was theirs, so you don't want to invest a lot, yet you want it to be sturdy.

I don't know which stores are near you, but an example of the medium quality that I like to stay in, is Haverty's. It's well made, but you don't feel bad if you want a change every so often.
I disagree. My wife and I got a coffee table and end table set from Rooms to Go a couple of years ago. We got it on sale, we use it every day, and it still looks like we bought it yesterday save the light dusting of dog hair on it : ) The most important thing when buying furniture is to care for it. But I do agree, you get the best quality by buying used. I've gotten great deals on Craigslist.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:49 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
The best furniture I've ever owned is a living room set from Baer's Furniture. I bought a good quality leather couch & loveseat, sofa, end & coffee table 13 years ago. I've never had a couch last me longer than 5 years. They still look great. The bedroom set I bought from Rooms to Go looks new and I bought that in 2009. The mattress, however, is horrible. It was a name brand pillow top and it started sagging within 2 years and I was the only one using it.

Old 11-27-2016, 02:59 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
The best furniture I've ever owned is a living room set from Baer's Furniture. I bought a good quality leather couch & loveseat, sofa, end & coffee table 13 years ago. I've never had a couch last me longer than 5 years. They still look great. The bedroom set I bought from Rooms to Go looks new and I bought that in 2009. The mattress, however, is horrible. It was a name brand pillow top and it started sagging within 2 years and I was the only one using it.
I've never looked in Baer's. Good stuff eh? Might have to look and see what they have.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:28 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
The thing that caught my eye in the furniture description was that it was made from "wood solids", most likely particle board or MDF.

If you want durable furniture buy solid wood.

I agree, if you want quality furniture it needs to be made of solid wood. And in the case of furniture, you really do get what you pay for. You can have a nice solid set for 20 years or buy cheap and have it fall apart in a couple of years.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:19 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethw View Post
What do you look for when buying bedroom sets or furniture to ensure you are getting something quality? I am furnishing a condo, and it has been the most perplexing (as far as choosing) process. Unlike most things we buy, reviews are few and far between. It seems like the furniture stores brand the same furniture with different names which complicates the process of finding reviews.

The furniture I'm buying, is going in a vacation rental that I am selling, and will occasionally sleep at until it sells. I don't want splurge for the finest, but I also don't want junk.

Yesterday I was in a furniture store and found a bedroom set that looked sharp, seemed well built, at the right price. I quickly googled the 'collection name' while in store and found nothing negative on it. I purchased 2 sets. Then I got home and did some more poking around online and found the exact same set at a different store, with a DIFFERENT 'collection name' and it had dozens of horrible reviews; bed squeeks and wobbles after a few weeks, veneer peels off quickly.

Fortunately i can cancel the order, but I'm back to square one. Wtf is a consumer to do.
Rooms to Go doesn't sell top-quality stuff, but not all their stuff is junk and they can have a higher-quality "look" to them. I recently bought a console table for my large flat-screen TV....I didn't want one of those crappy particle-board ones you see in Best Buy or HH Gregg, but I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg. I also remembered that I once bought one at a low-end furniture store, and it started sagging in the middle under the weight of a TV that was only 47". I found that Rooms to Go has entertainment centers in which pieces can be sold separately, so I bought the middle section without the end cabinets that go across the top of the TV. So far, so good.

I have living room furniture that I got at R2G as part of a package 12 years ago. Leather couch, loveseat, chair and ottoman -- I went all in. Brand is "Nicoletti", made in Italy, so it says. I was concerned that it would start looking like crap but it's held up well -- granted, it's only been me and my elderly Mom, but also two dogs that are on it all the time. (I had a friend with a new brown leather sofa that started flaking after a few years, I don't know if it was from the dog or just from her sitting on it, but I didn't even know leather could flake. Or maybe it was bonded leather.)

I did look at bedroom sets at R2G, but ended up getting one at Hudson's for almost $3K, I think it's American Heritage. But if you're only furnishing the place to sell it (why would you do that rather than just renting staging furniture?), I would be fine with the R2G set.

Last edited by Avalon08; 11-28-2016 at 12:21 AM.. Reason: added something

Old 11-28-2016, 02:46 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
OP Kenneth…are YOU keeping the furniture with you after you sell the vaca rental, or does the furniture go with the rental? Sorry, but I'm not clear on that. For me that is what would be a deciding factor in the money I spend.

IF the furniture stays with the rental -- Ikea, Bob's, Room Store, Rooms to Go, or Ashley.
If it's for me: Amish built solid wood, Haverty's, Marlo Furniture or Ethan Allen. (Maybe Crate and Barrel or Pottery Barn) (some of those are in the Washington DC area though)

Old 11-28-2016, 07:23 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
I am also a fan of Haverty's. We've bought several items there and even ten years later they look like new or gently used despite having kids and pets. I also don't know how you feel about this but you can get just a headboard and then a metal bedframe and save both money and space that way.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:29 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,374 times
[quote=kennethw;46315314]
The furniture I'm buying, is going in a vacation rental that I am selling, and will occasionally sleep at until it sells. I don't want splurge for the finest, but I also don't want junk.

I think you did OK for what you want it for, if it goes with the rental at sale time! No offense but if you are getting that much furniture at that cost, its junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House