Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 08:21 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,851,796 times

Advertisements

One house in our neighborhood has giant inflatables that are the typical snowman, santa, reindeer but also a three-person choir inflatable. The family puts them up every year, there are so many that they take up the entire front yard.

The three-person choir inflatable is on a motion detector and the choir members sing loudly every time a car drives past, or someone walks by on the sidewalk.

Santa is on a motion detector and loudly says "ho ho ho."

The loud singing and ho ho ho-ing goes on all day and night long. Much fun for the neighbors of that house. I am always glad that I live a few blocks down and not in earshot.

Last year the display was vandalized several times with all the electrical cords cut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Just how much of a Grinch are you post a thread to badmouth other people's holiday decorations?

2,451 posts, read 3,213,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
LOL I just bought my husband one that projects the Alabama Crimson Tide logo in a circle of six and it rotates.
Where did you get that?

Roll Tide!

Old 12-02-2016, 08:22 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,553 times
Definitely dislike inflatables. They always struck me a bit as used car lot decorations. For a similar reason, I don't like it when someone sticks as many decorations on their lawn and house as possible with no real theme or plan to it.

I also dislike when people use those light nets and they just throw one on a bush and call it good. You have to get enough to cover the bush properly if you're going to use those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
I don't like mismatched lights, the house that has blinking colored lights on one part of the house, a few trees with some white bulbs, maybe a strand or two of colored lights that don't blink, etc.
I actually prefer this over all the same type of lights, as long as it's not overdone. We regularly do white icicles on the eaves and colored lights on a tree and bushes out front.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:49 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
The only ones I dislike is if they only have the inflatables, because then during the day their yard looks awful. I like all one color, a mix of colors, and pretty much everything else. Heck, I'm easy.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:04 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,412,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
The only ones I dislike is if they only have the inflatables, because then during the day their yard looks awful. I like all one color, a mix of colors, and pretty much everything else. Heck, I'm easy.
This! Don't care for the inflatables, but I'm a fan of color so any color of lights work for me, as long as they don't flash constantly.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:08 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Where did you get that?

Roll Tide!
https://sportsconnection.co/products...nt=32081537998

It's sold out on Amazon, where I got it.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:23 AM

19,800 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Just how much of a Grinch are you post a thread to badmouth other people's holiday decorations?
I would think that real estate agents (such as yourself) and house sellers would appreciate knowing that possibly up to 50% of prospective buyers (or more!) might think that something is "tacky", so that the sellers could remove it, if they wish. (So far, no one on here is suggesting the mandatory removal of anything.)

Btw, having an opinion is still okay, as far as I know -- and one can dislike something without being Grinch-y. I love Christmas and MOST holiday decorations -- but because I also dislike a few specific Christmas songs, is that additional "proof" that I'm a Grinch? I don't think so.

Last edited by katharsis; 12-02-2016 at 10:18 AM..

Old 12-02-2016, 09:31 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Pretty much all of them-

A wreath on the door is good enough for me.

Happy Hanukkah!

Old 12-02-2016, 09:36 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
I like all of them and the fact people get out and try to decorate, mis-matched or matchy-matchy, that doesn't matter. They want to make things nice for the holidays and make the effort. I'm not going to fault anyone for that and I can still enjoy many things I may not put in my yard or around the house. I love that my grandkids in the car shout "Christmas stuff, hooray!" at every house that has decorations (it is going to be a long season ). They haven't learned to dislike yet and have that pure beginner's mind. They are great role models.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House