Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 11:00 AM

337 posts, read 424,078 times

Advertisements

We have a three level home. The first level is a poorly insulated garage. The garage gets so cold at times that our 2nd floor thermostat is effcted and turns on often. Other then insulation which is a whole task i would do someother time what do you guys think of a plug in heater? We have a gas furnace but no vents in garage space. Would this draw much more electricity if we had a heater in garage? Thoughts?
Something like this:

Cadet The Hot One 4000-Watt 240-Volt Electric Garage Portable Heater RCP402S at The Home Depot - Mobile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 11:07 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynorbust View Post
We have a three level home. The first level is a poorly insulated garage. The garage gets so cold at times that our 2nd floor thermostat is effcted and turns on often. Other then insulation which is a whole task i would do someother time what do you guys think of a plug in heater? We have a gas furnace but no vents in garage space. Would this draw much more electricity if we had a heater in garage? Thoughts?
Something like this:

Cadet The Hot One 4000-Watt 240-Volt Electric Garage Portable Heater RCP402S at The Home Depot - Mobile
My concern would be leaving it unattended. Fire hazard? I wouldn't, personally.

Gas costs less than electricity, so I would wonder if it saves much, if any, $ in the long run. It might. Don't know.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:35 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
So let's think this out a bit. Let's say you are setting your thermostats for the whole house at 68 (just to pick a number) and it's say 35 outside. So your garage which is poorly insulated sits at 50.

Now you put a heater in the garage, doesn't matter what type. You are now still keeping all the rest of the house at 68, but instead of the garage being 50, now it's 58.

Thermal loss through a wall is a function of the temperature difference across the wall, and the insulation of the wall (the conductive heat transfer coefficient of the wall). Just for giggles let's assume the average heat transfer coefficient of the exterior house walls (except the garage) is A and the average heat transfer coefficient of the garage exterior walls is B.

Previously the temp. difference over all the house except the garage was (68-35) and at the garage walls it was (50-35). Now the temp. difference over all the house except the garage will be (68-35) and at the garage walls it will be (58-35). So the previous heat loss was 33A + 15B. Now it will be 33A + 23B. Which is greater?

Old 01-24-2017, 02:03 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
We have a three level home.
The first level is a poorly insulated garage.

Other then insulation...
You'll be wasting your time and money.
And yes... that means demo down to the base structure first.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:12 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Heat moves in three ways; convection, conduction and radiation. Drafts and convection aside it always moves to cold, conduction and radiation do not have a direction. The heat in the room upstairs is heating the floor and it moves into the garage through radiation and conduction. It's imporatant to understand, your floors are cold becsue the heat is getting sucked out of them.

By heating the garage you will slow down this process and the floors upstairs will be warmer however it will cost you a lot more especially compared to gas. Any heat you put into that space is a loss as far as money goes.

It might be 3 times what you will pay for the gas. I can give you a rough estimate if you give me your rates.It's 4000 watts and when it's running it's like turning on 66 60W incandescent light bulbs. It's about 50 cents to run it for one hour assuming 12 cents per kWh. It's also 240 volts so you need a 240 line.

Instead of putting off insulation just put it in.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:38 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Lightbulb The garage is "unconditioned space", you don't want to heat it, you want to isolate it from "conditioned space"

Quote:
We have a three level home. The first level is a poorly insulated garage. The garage gets so cold at times that our 2nd floor thermostat is effcted and turns on often. Other then insulation which is a whole task i would do some other time what do you guys think of a plug in heater
Using an electric heater to warm up the garage in order to reduce the running time of the 2nd floor furnace will not save you any money at all, will only increase your heating expense.

As your primary effort, look into how heat is escaping into the garage from the second floor.

Does your state offer free energy audits? Can you inexpensively seal up any places air is leaking through (good for fire/CO/fume safety also) or otherwise improve the isolation between the garage and the rest of the house?

Old 01-24-2017, 07:48 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Heating Garage | Garage Heating - The Money Pit

Is your garage door insulated? It cost about $40 -$200 to do so, and you will feel the difference.
Should I Insulate My Garage Door? | GreenBuildingAdvisor.com

DIY:
Exactly How to Insulate a Garage Door | The Family Handyman

https://www.houselogic.com/organize-...a-garage-door/
I did the reflective insulation and it DID made a difference.

There are also other options:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Garage-Do...-pcs/203630159
https://goo.gl/0iI5a3

Old 01-29-2017, 08:54 PM

337 posts, read 424,078 times
Thanks everyone all information was helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House