Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 07:17 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,056,920 times

Advertisements

We will be installing an induction cook top in our new home, natural gas not available in the area.
I am really looking forward to using it after having electric all these years.
I might be concerned about cast iron cookware scratching a ceramic (glass) top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 07:34 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,423,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
I might be concerned about cast iron cookware scratching a ceramic (glass) top.
The only damage I've ever been able to do to a ceramic top is letting sugar boil over, it'll etch the top on a traditional electric (no idea if it will with induction, I wouldn't try it).

But if you're Really worried about it, and my mother was/is (they've had theirs since 2009), simply put a paper towel between the top and the pan. It won't burn, though it may brown over time, and provides all the protection you could ask for. She's been doing this the whole time. Obviously, boil-overs tend to ruin the paper towels, but she seems to get a week to 10 days worth of cooking out of a paper towel before discarding it (3 meals a day, they live 15 miles from the closest "town").

Old 03-05-2017, 12:10 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
The only damage I've ever been able to do to a ceramic top is letting sugar boil over, it'll etch the top on a traditional electric (no idea if it will with induction, I wouldn't try it).

But if you're Really worried about it, and my mother was/is (they've had theirs since 2009), simply put a paper towel between the top and the pan. It won't burn, though it may brown over time, and provides all the protection you could ask for. She's been doing this the whole time. Obviously, boil-overs tend to ruin the paper towels, but she seems to get a week to 10 days worth of cooking out of a paper towel before discarding it (3 meals a day, they live 15 miles from the closest "town").
im assuming the paper towel is only for an induction cooktop, right?

Old 03-05-2017, 01:46 PM

23,988 posts, read 15,091,790 times
I bought a Bosch induction in my old house to replace an old Jennair downdraft. Loved it.

When we downsized, three years ago I took out gas, ran an electric line so I could have an induction cooktop and a convection oven. Never regretted it one minute. We bought a Kenmore because Consumer Report said it was the best. Not so. I liked the controls on the Bosch better. DiL always preferred gas, but had no gas line so she put in a Bosch induction. She loves it.

IMO, induction has the control of gas without the mess. After you turn it off a light stays on to let you know when the burner is cool enough to clean. Just wipe with a soapy cloth and dry. I spray mine with vinegar water then dry.

When cooking, you do not even need a pot holder for handles or lids because they never get hot. Even when draininga big pasta pot.

We had years of accumulation of Le Creuset, so no problem with pans. You can get stainless at Ikea for a good price.

Good luck with you purchase. Enjoy.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:42 PM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,671,743 times
I have an induction range. It is light-years ahead of both gas and conventional electric. It is faster, hotter, safer, more energy efficient, and easier to clean. The only downside, as mentioned above, is the inability to use certain kinds of pans, and it's pricier than conventional electric. OTOH, it's a high end technology and comparing its price to a basic technology like electric coils is probably not realistic.

I have found that the converter discs don't work well and are a waste of money.

I also use enameled cast iron, like LeCreuset and Staub, without problems. I have found some random pots that are noisy.

I would try one of these to get a feel for induction, but remember that this is only an inexpensive substitute and won't give you the full power or speed of a full-fledged cooktop or range. I use one of these at our summer cabin and it's still vastly superior to the glass-top electric stove there.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you have any other questions, ask away.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:59 PM

993 posts, read 767,353 times
Thank you everyone for your generous responses. I think I'll definitely go with the induction cooktop.

Old 03-05-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I bought a Bosch induction in my old house to replace an old Jennair downdraft. Loved it.

When we downsized, three years ago I took out gas, ran an electric line so I could have an induction cooktop and a convection oven. Never regretted it one minute. We bought a Kenmore because Consumer Report said it was the best. Not so. I liked the controls on the Bosch better. DiL always preferred gas, but had no gas line so she put in a Bosch induction. She loves it.

IMO, induction has the control of gas without the mess. After you turn it off a light stays on to let you know when the burner is cool enough to clean. Just wipe with a soapy cloth and dry. I spray mine with vinegar water then dry.

When cooking, you do not even need a pot holder for handles or lids because they never get hot. Even when draininga big pasta pot.

We had years of accumulation of Le Creuset, so no problem with pans. You can get stainless at Ikea for a good price.

Good luck with you purchase. Enjoy.
Good to know about Bosch. It wasn't one of the highly rated ones in CR but I noticed that it has gotten a lot of favorable reviews by users on various sites and kitchen designers like it.

Old 03-05-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I have an induction range. It is light-years ahead of both gas and conventional electric. It is faster, hotter, safer, more energy efficient, and easier to clean. The only downside, as mentioned above, is the inability to use certain kinds of pans, and it's pricier than conventional electric. OTOH, it's a high end technology and comparing its price to a basic technology like electric coils is probably not realistic.

I have found that the converter discs don't work well and are a waste of money.

I also use enameled cast iron, like LeCreuset and Staub, without problems. I have found some random pots that are noisy.

I would try one of these to get a feel for induction, but remember that this is only an inexpensive substitute and won't give you the full power or speed of a full-fledged cooktop or range. I use one of these at our summer cabin and it's still vastly superior to the glass-top electric stove there.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you have any other questions, ask away.
What brand induction cooktop do you have?

Old 03-05-2017, 04:09 PM

7,825 posts, read 4,568,735 times
I agree with the poster that said if you're really concerned about whether or not it's something that you'll be happy with, get your hands on a stand-alone unit (I love the Max Burton induction products) and try it out. Worse case, even if you don't like it for day-to-day cooking you'll have a nice portable cook top that you can use when times call for it (backyard food prep, overflow for Thanksgiving, etc.)

Induction really fills the gap between gas and standard electric. I did a remodel using induction on my high-rise condo where gas wasn't an option. All in all, it works quite well. (BTW - purchased a Miele 4 hob unit. If I have any complaint's I'd would have liked a unit that had a little more 'granularity' than 10 heat settings. Not a big deal, I just go back to gas techniques where you give it a good shot of heat to get the pan hot (it doesn't take long, induction is REALLY fast) then dial it down.)

Last edited by take57; 03-05-2017 at 04:21 PM..

Old 03-05-2017, 04:41 PM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,671,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
What brand induction cooktop do you have?
I have an Electrolux range. When I remodeled, I didn't have space for a separate cooktop and ovens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Induction really fills the gap between gas and standard electric.
I have to respectfully disagree with this. I've had gas, conventional electric, and induction. I've found induction to be much superior to gas. I'd never go back to gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House