Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 08:58 AM

396 posts, read 435,768 times

Advertisements

Hi- we are in the process of renovating our kitchen. The hot water pipes for radiators had to be moved and now when heat is turned on the pipes bang loudly. By loudly, I mean it sounds someone is breaking down the door with a sledgehammer.It is actually quite frightening and we are getting little sleep. Prior to pipes being moved, we did not have this issue. Contractor says he pitched the pipes properly and we will have to live with the noise, as hot water heating is noisy. I can deal with radiators banging a bit. I could even deal with some noise from the pipes, but not this sledgehammer noise. Contractor is adamant this is the norm. If we didnt have the noise before, why now? Is it possible he did something wrong with the piping? thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 09:08 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jego914 View Post
The hot water pipes for radiators had to be moved ...
Does that mean drained, disconnected, refit and then the boiler restarted?

Quote:
...and now when heat is turned on the pipes bang loudly.
By loudly, I mean it sounds someone is breaking down the door with a sledgehammer.
You have air in the lines (and maybe they're short a clamp or two).

Quote:
Contractor is adamant this is the norm.
He's an idiot and you can tell him I said so.
It's only normal unless you don't bleed out the air. LINK

Old 03-06-2017, 09:15 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,098,226 times
By moved you mean the supply and returns were disconnected, and rerouted? If so you may have air in the lines. If you are able to bleed your rads, that would be the way to go.
By bleed I mean there should be bleeder screws at the top of the rads. Open the screw slowly a half a turn to see if air or water comes out. If it's air, keep open til a stream of water begins, and then close the bleeder. If you have more than one rad, you may have to repeat the process on each one.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:16 AM

Haha! Thanks MrRational. I would assume he (his workers, as he is never there) did the above. I am hoping its just air. Will ask him to bleed out the air and see if that helps. Thx!

Old 03-06-2017, 09:18 AM

Was typing while MrRational posted. Agree=What he said.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:19 AM

LIcenter- thanks. I am utterly clueless about this. Yes, disconnected and rerouted. So, if we bleed the radiators, the pipes should stop banging? The radiators are banging, but does not bother me too much. It's the banging in the walls in the kitchen.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:20 AM

Thank you both!

Old 03-06-2017, 09:22 AM

The sooner you fix it the better. You could wind up with a major leak if not taken care of.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:04 AM

46 posts, read 39,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jego914 View Post
LIcenter- thanks. I am utterly clueless about this. Yes, disconnected and rerouted. So, if we bleed the radiators, the pipes should stop banging? The radiators are banging, but does not bother me too much. It's the banging in the walls in the kitchen.
Agree with McR. By bleeding the pipes at the rads, the banging in the walls should stop and the only noise you should hear are the rads "clinking" a bit as they heat up.
Yes indeed your "contractor" is an idiot, I'm a finish carpenter and I know this.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:42 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Is this water or steam? I'm assuming steam since you referenced pitching the pipes. If they are not pitched correctly they will never operate correctly. First thing to do is check the radiators themselves. There should be slight tilt towards the pipe.

In any event you should not be getting any loud banging noises regardless of the sytem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House