Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 06:39 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

I pulled the garbage disposals long ago and no longer include and free standing appliances.

Plumbing is still the problem child with the bulk of emergency calls... almost always tenant caused.

Simple things like kids cooking and dumping all the grease down the drain to what I ran into last week.

Several older homes had all the cast iron pipe under the house from the kitchen sink turned into Swiss Cheese from acid cleaners... I replaced it all with ABS... so far so good.

At the local Hospital all of the blockages are due to feminine products... in 26 years never a block toilet in the men's restroom or locker rooms... happens often on the female side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 07:02 PM

178 posts, read 173,846 times
I have some older PEX starting to leak from the crimps. Kind of irritating. Just drips but staining walls.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:20 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewy View Post
I have some older PEX starting to leak from the crimps. Kind of irritating. Just drips but staining walls.
Just curious. How old?

Old 03-20-2017, 05:58 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Just curious. How old?

This has to be the really early stuff that used the crimp bands instead of the brass sleeves. We called it the "crimpy bands" system. It was wildly unpopular because it was notorious for weeping.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:11 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,769,559 times
My house is all copper on the pressure side, and that's fine with me. I can solder it as required... or use shark-bite fittings if I'm feeling lazy. I've only had to do a few repairs, and none were due to degradation of the copper- just seized valves and such.

But PEX is a perfectly good product and FAR more efficient. If I ever need to do any major re-work... it'll be PEX.

Matter of fact a couple years ago I dug a trench between my shed and my garage to connect an air line. This way I can run my air compressor in the shed... use air tools in the garage without all the noise. I used PEX. This compressor is cranked up to 150psi, and the PEX is holding just fine.

Yeah, yeah... not up to code. Don't care. It works fine

Old 03-22-2017, 06:22 PM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Copper is best! It costs money because it *saves* money!
If Cosmo likes it, it must be good.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:15 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If Cosmo likes it, it must be good.
After watching that scene you understand how Cosmo Castorini got that nice big house in Brooklyn Heights, then and now a wealthy part of Brooklyn, NYC.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:25 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
My house is all copper on the pressure side, and that's fine with me. I can solder it as required... or use shark-bite fittings if I'm feeling lazy. I've only had to do a few repairs, and none were due to degradation of the copper- just seized valves and such.

But PEX is a perfectly good product and FAR more efficient. If I ever need to do any major re-work... it'll be PEX.

Matter of fact a couple years ago I dug a trench between my shed and my garage to connect an air line. This way I can run my air compressor in the shed... use air tools in the garage without all the noise. I used PEX. This compressor is cranked up to 150psi, and the PEX is holding just fine.

Yeah, yeah... not up to code. Don't care. It works fine

Not up to code ..maybe , but for a private use air line owner installed it will do fine. 150 psi is a bit above what PEX was intended for, but it will hold that and more. I had an inspector require I run my air test on a PEX water system at that pressure once. He didn't like PEX and thought he could make it fail. It didn't. This particular inspector was a real pain. But try as he might he couldn't get a failure on a PEX system. Since your line is underground you should be fine. It's out of direct sunlight,(which it doesn't like) and if it did pop it's contained in the dirt.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:30 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
One advantage of Copper - It looks a lot better. In our house we plumber with PEX but wherever the pipe is exposed, we switched to copper (or at least tried to - in some places the idiot plumber switched to copper for an inch then went back to PEX. "Well you said you wanted it switched to copper where it penetrates the floor or wall" - Remember the part where I said I wanted all exposed pipe to be copper?" "Oh. . . . uhhh. . . well I think it looks fine.. . . see ya."

Old 03-23-2017, 06:11 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I like copper plumbing. The big bad issue with copper plumbing is copper theft.

Nobody steals PEX out of a vacant house. PEX also has the huge advantage that it does not split when it freezes.

However, I will not give my final blessing to PEX until 45 years have passed. I've got 2 houses with polybutal plumbing that the the best thing ever, until 45 years later when it is crumbling to dust and getting constant pinholes. PEX is plastic and plastic degrades. So, time will tell.
I live in a neighborhood built in 1992. At that time, some builders used polybutalene for water pressure lines and some used copper. My house was built with copper pipes. I insisted on it because in a previous neighborhood, built in 1983, the houses built with plastic pipes had developed leaks.

Now and then I see plumbing trucks show up in the neighborhood doing re-piping on the polybutalene built houses. I think a re-piping costs about $12K.

My problem with PEX is that it hasn't been used long enough to prove its durability. No builder can or will grant a 50 year guarantee of no leaks.

My copper pipes have never leaked. Copper has been used for 70 years. Insist on it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House