Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 09:28 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats407 View Post
Good thing we can't see insect poop
You most certainly can see insect poop. It just looks like a speck of dirt, but take a whiff if it gets on your arm or whatever.

Then there are the gypsy moth caterpillar invasions; talk about poop all over the place. Back in the 1970s my parents' town quickly went from having paved roads to dirt roads, they were so completely coated in the poop. And you could HEAR it dropping down like a very soft light rain. YUCK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 09:42 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRetiredGuy View Post
Hello

Several birds have taken up residence in a tree in my front yard and seems to enjoy pooping all over the sidewalk next to the tree.

Does anyone know of a good way to encourage the birds to go somewhere else ?
I have been hosing off the bird crap 2 to 3 times a week. This has to stop.

Thank You
Go to the Dollar Store and buy a toy stuffed animal (cat or teddy bear) will work good, then place on the tree branch near where they hangout. Most birds don’t know what to make of the new “cat” looking critter hanging out in their tree so they’ll tend to leave or avoid that tree branch. I’ve replaced kitty a few times with a new one each year. Seems to work well for just 99 cents for me.

Another option is:
You can also put Christmas garland (the silver reflective type) in that area of the tree. They don’t care for the sunlight reflecting in different directions and it bothers them enough to leave the tree.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:52 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Attack Spider by Birds-Away | Wildlife Control Supplies

Here is your answer. You will have to build it a box to live in since it is not waterproof (how stupid is that?).

Old 03-16-2017, 10:08 AM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Just leave the birds be. Birds are so beautiful. Plus if they are nesting, I belive it might be illegal to disturb them.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:02 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
Do a Drum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amVsQDSSPm0

Steel Magnolias, one of my favourites!!!!

Old 03-16-2017, 11:56 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
wow really ? birds poop everything that is alive poops . I cant believe people have to gripe about that wow just wow . take down the tree if it bothers you that much . Me myself I feed the wild birds and love the singing they provide me every morning it is a beautiful sound .

Agree~ It's called nature! And we humans need to realize and respect the fact we share this planet with other living beings. Birds are needed, they do pest control, keep tress, gardens, etc, etc safe and healthy!

~We Need to Relearn That We're a Part of Nature, Not Separate From It ~ ..

Old 03-16-2017, 12:10 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Good grief, city people! Something so simple yet you don't bother to think. A bird has one major predator, an owl. An owl takes more birds in flight and sitting in trees than anything. All you need is to buy a cheap plastic owl of reasonable size and place it in the area where the birds can see it. Problem is solved.

Think I'm wrong? Ask NASA what they use to keep birds away from the launch pads. You'll find HUGE owl eyes and owl decoys in the area.

You are right.

But .. I just can't resist ... front yard wind turbines can cut them up too or at least make it more difficult for them to land in the trees (especially if their airborne traffic control unit is still in its southern migration pattern) but the energy return won't be that great unless you live in a very windy suburb. Solar farms may be the best answer if you live in an often sunny location .. you can cook the bird out front and save on oven heating or charcoal costs. I can't recommend garden gnomes .. not sure if it is the beards or those red hats but don't waste your money on those plastic decorations - they just don't have the same effect as garden owls .

Old 03-16-2017, 12:22 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Get an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! Just don't shoot your eye out.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:23 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Steel Magnolias, one of my favourites!!!!
Too much estrogen in that movie.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:26 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
Pamper's for birds? It'd be a little hard to diaper them though, and all that changing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House