Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 07:14 AM

29 posts, read 146,468 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am doing a bathroom remodel. My contractor recommended I go with an Americast tub. My sink and toilet will be Kohler. I like their Whites (brighter than American Standard) and think Kohler has great products, but now I am hitting a wall when it comes to tubs! I am getting mixed reviews online between American Standard's Americast tubs......they are called Americrap!!

Can anyone shed some light on which tub is better quality? Is there an equivalent Americast for Kohler?
Americast is made out of enameling grade steel with a porcelain surface. Sound like it is prone to chips. This will be our main bathroom and 4 people will be using it. Should I go with Kohler acrylic instead....I have no clue....so confused.

Feel free if you are a plumber and/or contractor to voice your opinion....

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 07:54 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicalMusic4 View Post
Hi there,

I am doing a bathroom remodel. My contractor recommended I go with an Americast tub. My sink and toilet will be Kohler. I like their Whites (brighter than American Standard) and think Kohler has great products, but now I am hitting a wall when it comes to tubs! I am getting mixed reviews online between American Standard's Americast tubs......they are called Americrap!!

Can anyone shed some light on which tub is better quality? Is there an equivalent Americast for Kohler?
Americast is made out of enameling grade steel with a porcelain surface. Sound like it is prone to chips. This will be our main bathroom and 4 people will be using it. Should I go with Kohler acrylic instead....I have no clue....so confused.

Feel free if you are a plumber and/or contractor to voice your opinion....

Thanks in advance
A lot depends on whether you want true cast iron with a porcelain finish (Kohler) or a lighter weight composite tub (Americast). Personally I prefer the true cast iron as the finish and the tub is much stronger, but it's also a lot heavier. I would say that contractors typically prefer the lighter weight tub. I have an American Standard cast iron tub from the 50's, and I guarantee that sucker is heavy!

Old 03-31-2017, 07:59 AM

29 posts, read 146,468 times
ha ha, "That sucker is heavy" made me laugh! Yes, I know they weigh a ton, not sure I want to put that much weight in my bathroom, second floor, imagine a flood too!? ugh....this decision is giving me sleepless nights bc it's not like a shoe that I can take on and off either, thanks for your response!

Old 03-31-2017, 08:12 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
I'm not sure if you're aware, but American Standard does make two models of enameled steel tubs, the Solar and the Salem. They are lighter than the cast iron tubs, but the porcelain finish is very similar. Those are "alcove" tubs, btw - I don't know if you are installing a 3-walled alcove tub or a freestanding one. That makes a big difference in selection as well as the material.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:00 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Steel tubs feel terrible compared to cast iron -- even the nicest of them have a "hollow" feel to them and eventually the steel will get fatigued and break down. When that happens it is not worth trying to reglaze. Cast iron is far more stable and if the porcelain ever gets damaged reglazing will extend life span.

Though the cast composite seem like a good compromise the devil is in the details -- tradespeople accustomed to installing other kinds of tubs skip over the details on the framing and then there are problems. So to is the "quality testing" of new products a little less thorough than the decades of experience folks have had with traditional materials.

The gold standard in tubs is still cast iron.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:47 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
I installed an AS "Americast" alcove tub in 2014 and have had no complaints whatsoever.
Got a great price from the local plumbing house too.

One suggestion though...
whatever you install be sure it's bedded in structo-lite (or similar)

Old 03-31-2017, 12:18 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
I wouldn't consider "brand" into the equation unless you're getting a substantial rebate.

First choice is cast iron or steel- I'll take, recommend, and spec a cast iron anyday! There's no issue with the weight and your floor system (that is if it's built to code).

Old 03-31-2017, 12:38 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I wouldn't consider "brand" into the equation unless you're getting a substantial rebate.

First choice is cast iron or steel- I'll take, recommend, and spec a cast iron anyday! There's no issue with the weight and your floor system (that is if it's built to code).
Ditto

I would not consider anything but cast iron. Brand is irrelevant as long as it is not some cheapo brand and wither not really cast iron, or with a terrible cheap coating.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:12 PM

1,066 posts, read 764,653 times
Have had both, the cast iron is way better IMHO.

Ours is the Kohler... but let me give you a word of warning on the Kohler model that has the etched non-slip bottom. It will eventually collect skin oils and soap residue in the little rectangles and discolor them. We have filtered well water that is very soft, but I have seen/read about different water situations all over the internet and still the same discolored tub floor can/will happen.

I am a stickler for clean bathrooms and have always kept that tub spotless, but it still builds up over time. Takes some real elbow grease to keep it looking new but it can be done. If this could be a problem for you look for the version that doesn't have the etched bottom.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:19 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
We redid the guest/front bathroom in our FL house this summer and had an alcove tub (3 walls) w/shower on one wall...
The bathroom fixtures were original to the 70s build--they were emerald green--
In great shape but --couldn't take that green...
The tub was a Kohler I think and was pretty much perfect--no chips or wearing of the finish
But we went with an American Standard because I wanted a Loft sink--which is a rectangular vessel (above the counter) sink--but I had it installed as a farm sink--below the counter.

There are two depths for the AS tub we used...one the Ferguson rep told us was a deeper tub because it was taller...so we ordered that initially...
Then found out by my research that the interiors of both tubs have the same volume which means the recessed part is the same size--there is just more air under it...more space from the bottom of the tub to the ground...
So we went back to the lower=profile tub---makes it easier for grandson to get in and out--
We also ordered a different drain that allows more water to fill the tub before the overflow line starts draining...doesn't have a toggle on the round cover--have to lift the drain cover which is more hassle but you can get extra two inches of water in there for adults to soak...

More volume means larger amount of water and essentially more space--
It is larger inside than the Kohler 6ft tub--

So far we haven't had any issues but it is only installed a couple of months...
We just didn't have space to go with a wider/bigger tub and my husband said we had to keep this tub...
In master bath we took out the original acrylic Roman/soaker tub and installed a very large walkin shower...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House