Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 06:56 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times

Advertisements

cookie cutter means just that- its a repeat of the SAME, EXACT design over and over and over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 03:07 PM

711 posts, read 688,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
That's good to hear.

Large trees make a huge difference. And, of course, over many years people will do necessary remodeling and even landscaping. The neighborhood one of my rental houses is in is exactly like the one you described - except the houses were all built in the early 60s. 55 years later, most of the houses have been resided, many have had garages built on, etc. It's a neighborhood like the one you describe.
Yes, I definitely agree with you about HOAs. I think HOAs are more creators of cookie cutter neighborhoods than the original developers.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:06 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Cookie cutter means that is like other things, or made from common pattern and is not original.

It is sort of like calling a large house a McMansion. Different people probably have different ideas about what a McMansion is. And by the way, you demean a house when you call it a McMansion. You are assuming a position of superiority. Some people need big houses, and why would anyone sneer at that?

Similarily, cookie cutter seems to be a demeaning term which indicates that it has no originality, and perhaps is cliche ridden.

Many of us live in cookie cutter homes that we seek to make original.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:22 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,497,472 times
Cookie cutter

Last edited by bookspage; 06-09-2017 at 02:44 PM..

Old 05-02-2017, 04:40 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
To me, it means a subdivision with, at most, ten different elevations and all of them within the same basic color palette (if that's the right word) -- for example, all pastels or variations of the same four or five colors.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:40 AM

1,139 posts, read 3,467,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post

So what does it mean to you? What would you consider "cookie cutter"?
We like cookie cutter homes since the builder has gone thro' several iterations of building the same home multiple times and its down to a science now plus having a neighbour with the same home allows me to help or ask for help when there are issues with the home since everyone on the street has someone who share the same floor plan or layout.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:19 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
My son had a cookie cutter house. Before all the houses were in, it was fairly easy to find his house. His was one of the few that had an empty lot next to him. After the lot was no longer empty, I had to look at landscaping to decipher which was his.

His new home is not in the same extreme cookie cutter but there are some tendencies towards that trend. We've only been there once so far (we live in Florida, he is in Michigan) for Christmas last year. We are going up there next month and it will be interesting if we will remember the house and pick it out easily.

I like being able to spot the house just based on the facade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House