Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2017, 08:08 AM

857 posts, read 961,478 times

Advertisements

Debated whether to post this in garden forum, but thought here may be more appropriate.

Days ago Big Sur experienced a massive hill slide (see pic). I kind of have the same problem and hope to get some advice on prevention.

I have a vacation house that sits on top of a 150' hill. The surrounding is very similar to what you see in the Big Sur picture -- soil covered with brush vegetation -- except my hill is a bit less steep (about 40 degree rise). Still, the hill has been slowly eroding over the years; the last slide in the neighborhood was about 30 years ago and 5' of the hill slid down. I would like to reduce and minimize the chance of my hill's erosion.

If I channel rain water from the hill, can this reduce the chance of hill slide? I am thinking about paving over the flat hill top, and some part of the hill face, to reduce rain water penetration into soil, and build a few gutters to channel water away.

I see many homeowners whose houses are right at the edge of the cliff, then they put plastic tarp over the hill side to try to do the same (channel water away). I don't want to wait until that critical stage to try to do something about it.

Last edited by rhbj03; 05-24-2017 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 08:43 AM

34,111 posts, read 83,076,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I have a vacation house that sits on top of a 150' hill.
I would like to reduce and minimize the chance of my hill's erosion.

If I channel rain water from the hill, can this reduce the chance of hill slide?
Terraced retention walls with aggregate filled trench and perforated pipe directing the water away.
The terraces can be cultivated or landscaped for family use.

The question remains though of WHERE the drained water would be directed to.
I'm sure the County will have something to say on the point.

Do it well and you could start a vineyard.
Actually, it might be easier to get County approval by calling it prep work for a vineyard.
---
Attached Thumbnails
Can channeling water away prevent hill slide?  Or what's best option?-horse-shelter.png  

Last edited by MrRational; 05-24-2017 at 08:51 AM..

Old 05-24-2017, 08:55 AM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,153,316 times
Get a hold of a geotechnical engineer (you may want more than one opinion) for a full evaluation and recommendations. The soil type and the composition of the materials below the surface are critical to consider before your proceed- you don't want to make it worse or make unnecessary expenditures of time or money.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:46 PM

17,480 posts, read 66,143,421 times
Vegetation will always be the best. The problem that Cali is experiencing is coming out of the major drought that killed a lot of vegetation, and made loose soil looser because of a lack of moisture.

There are specific types of vegetation that work better than others- those specifically with wide and deep root systems. But, there are other considerations to ponder- native plants, especially those that are drought tolerant.

The problem with controlling runoff is you will have to concentrate it at some point- which causes erosion. Installing retaining walls requires moving earth- loosing loose soil even more.

The least evasive will always be the "right solution"- it's just picking the right one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House