Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 10:13 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times

Advertisements

You are right. This guy is in the wrong. I'd have been upset too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 10:25 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I never understood this mentality. Do you think your doctor should be grateful you are sick? Do you think your lawyer should be grateful you are getting divorced? Should your mechanic be grateful your car broke down?

People provide a service, I am not sure where gratitude comes into play. I also wonder how much this is regional. In my area the good contractors/handymen are in demand,to such a degree that I am grateful to have found and built a relationship with mine that I can count on them to take car of big jobs and small in a timely manner with an eye to quality.
I never understood why customers are supposed to be grateful to pay a contractor who verbally abuses them in response to a reasonable request (don't let the dog in the house without asking FIRST).

Contractors provide a service. But they would not provide that service unless the customer pays for it.mAnd the customer has the right to tell the contractor No Dog On My Property. The dog is not providing the service.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:32 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
I once watched the house across the street from me have vinyl siding installed.
ok, not big deal.

I watched the man on a ladder at the second floor, installing it, with a cigaret in his mouth and a cell phone in his ear holding it with his neck, and thinking to myself, how unsafe, and stupid...

First of all, the man is an idiot to be doing that, and I know if that was my house. i would have told him, get off the dam phone and get the cigaret out of your mouth while your on MY property. Dont like it, leave, I will get anohter person.

that was an accident waiting to happen.

I also agree with another poster, dont bring a radio, I dont wanna hear your music, and as for the dog, no, dont bring a dog.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:25 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I never understood why customers are supposed to be grateful to pay a contractor who verbally abuses them in response to a reasonable request (don't let the dog in the house without asking FIRST).

Contractors provide a service. But they would not provide that service unless the customer pays for it.mAnd the customer has the right to tell the contractor No Dog On My Property. The dog is not providing the service.
Who said the OP had to be grateful? In fact I have stated multiple times it was rude, but it is irrelevant to the point of expecting undying gratitude from service providers.

To be honest, you seem to be really hung up on gratitude and make sure people feel the right amount of gratitude and towards the right people. It is a little weird.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:33 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Who said the OP had to be grateful? In fact I have stated multiple times it was rude, but it is irrelevant to the point of expecting undying gratitude from service providers.

To be honest, you seem to be really hung up on gratitude and make sure people feel the right amount of gratitude and towards the right people. It is a little weird.
Pot. kettle. black.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:44 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
It wouldn't fly with me. We don't allow pets in our home, as one of our children is allergic to pet hair. Just having the dog in the house means now I need to go about vacuuming up all the hair, and potentially my child will still have a slight allergic reaction. Out in the real world, I don't make issue of this as there are going to be dogs everywhere...but in my home, I think I can reasonably expect that one request to be followed. I would not tolerate being told to "get over it" in my own home.

Secondly, as a former contractor who worked 10 years doing new homes, renovations, additions, small upgrades, etc, I've never seen another contractor on the job bring their dog to a job site...even in the truck. Perhaps its a regional thing. I've seen GC's chew out guys for wearing shorts on the job, let alone a dog. Even small jobs, where there might be a carpenter or plumber on site, I've never seen a dog anywhere.

When I used to work jobs, my biggest concern would be leaving the customer's home spotless. If that meant taking my boots off, or laying down drop-cloths, or whatever, than that's what I did. Bring a dog on the site? No way.
Amen.

No. Dog. Period.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:02 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Pot. kettle. black.
I never told the OP to be grateful. Do you just make things up?

Old 06-27-2017, 09:15 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
I think it's interesting that those who are posting here are ~mostly?~ against the contractor bringing the dog. Not a popular thing here, contractors bringing dogs.

I made a post that was generally supportive of the contractor and "what's the big deal?".
I've taken a lot of positions I'd rather defend than this one. And yet... this has gotten me more rec points than any other individual post I've ever made. It's a *silent* majority.

Go figure.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:47 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think it's interesting that those who are posting here are ~mostly?~ against the contractor bringing the dog. Not a popular thing here, contractors bringing dogs.

I made a post that was generally supportive of the contractor and "what's the big deal?".
I've taken a lot of positions I'd rather defend than this one. And yet... this has gotten me more rec points than any other individual post I've ever made. It's a *silent* majority.

Go figure.
Well, if you want to play the childish " rep points game", I'll play.

It also has gotten me the most rep points also.
Rep points sure wasn't the purpose of me starting this thread, however.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:45 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Not a game, really, and not trying to win anything, just thought it was amusing. You have a nice night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House