Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 09:39 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,573 times

Advertisements

We haven't had contractors bring dogs, but we had one bring his wife (who proceeded to stand around and act bored while he did the plumbing job) and another showed up with his toddler to do roofing work. Very unprofessional and awkward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 11:19 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
It is not common where I live AT ALL. In fact, I have never seen it.

I am surprised people are defending the contractor. Do you guys just roll up to any old job with your dog?

Do you know how irritated I would be (as a dog lover) to come home and find a dog there? My husband has allergy induced asthma and we have had to remove ourselves from situations before when breathing becomes too difficult for him and many of these situations involve animals.

It probably wouldn't bother me as much if I found a contractor did that and then apologized, thinking it might not be a big deal.

But no, according to some posters in this thread, you should hire people ONLY if you don't have a dog allergy or suck it up??? What the hell am I paying people thousands of dollars to work on a house for them to do whatever they feel like?

Old 06-23-2017, 05:51 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Unprofessional and if I was a neighbor and saw a dog chained up in the heat with no shade I would be calling Animal Services.

Do you not like dogs or it just bugs you that he brought the dog with him?

Old 06-23-2017, 06:29 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
I've seen contractors with dogs here: the dog's job is to guard the tools and bark a warning if anyone gets too close to the truck. I'm fine with that! Some guys have thousands of dollars tied up in their tools.

I would not want them bringing a dog into a house, unless there was a job-related reason to do so.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:40 AM

190 posts, read 167,654 times
I don't often agree with the OP, but in this case he is completely correct. It's extremely unprofessional to bring a dog unasked, and also unprofessional to even ask to bring a dog, wife, kid, etc. The contractor is there to do the agreed upon work, period.

I would actually reconsider the contract if my contractor brought this up, due to his lack of judgment. I currently have two dogs, FYI.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:45 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
It might not be a good idea here, because we have our own dogs, cats, and farm animals. But I can't imagine getting upset about the contractor bringing a dog if I wasn't living there, or even at the job site very often. What harm or difference does it really make?
You may have a large property and lots of your own animals. But the OP was talking about a dog INSIDE his fully finished residence...not a new construction site. Okay, new construction, outside - maybe okay as long as he picks up all the poop...but I don't think I want a dog hiking a leg on my new construction either!

And to not even bring it up beforehand tells me he HAS had issues in the past. He should have asked permission - when you are on the owner's property, he has the say. If you as a contractor don't like it, don't take the job.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:35 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I was shocked to see a water bowl on the living room floor and a bowl of dog food.
and dog was chained in my backyard.
Totally unprofessional!

Old 06-23-2017, 07:41 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,476,268 times
Some people are allergic to dog hair. That contractor is completely out of line.

Dog owners are taking their dogs everywhere today, even into the grocery stores (rolling my eyes). It isn't right.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:41 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,807,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Tell him to take his f'ing dog home and never come back, and don't even think of giving you a bill.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
okay I see nothing wrong with it and some people just have a corn cob up their butt about something . I have three dogs and I have a very clean home so that is a sorry issue and if you are that allergic then maybe you should do the work yourself and not hire anybody . I think it would surprise a lot of you that some people have more germs than dogs . I'm sorry but I am so tired of people complaining about something every day . You are blessed to have a house and remember there are people in this world who don't , people in this country seem to forget how blessed they truly are .
And I'm sure the OP worked hard to get the money to buy said house. Since he did, he has every right to tell someone not to bring their dog, child, pet rock - whatever inside it. How difficult is that to understand?

Dog owners like you are a lot of the reason why I can't stand dogs anymore.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:00 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,519,662 times
We have extreme allergies to cats and dogs. Our home is pure, no dog or cat has ever need in here. It's you house, you are the king of your castle. You don't want the dog in it. Should be no issue except for those owners who think you don't have right.

What does it hurt - read on moron.

How inappropriate! Its bad enough its now hard to travel cause phony emotional support animals have polluted places. I have been sent to urgent care cause of hotels saying cats or dogs have stayed in the room.

Their dander gets into the walls over time and it like a heavy smoker, you have to take the dry wall out to get rid of it.

I have NEVER heard of such arrogance. He depends on referrals, burn him on yelp, angie's list etc.

Calling someone thinned skinned over this is just gas lighting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House