Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2017, 10:04 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,416,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Like I said, learning is expensive, and for me to learn about your drone -- I have no motivation, neither the burden. Look, I am a very educated man, but there is a limit on what I want to learn and my other responsibilities. Like I said, I do not want this burden. Neither should I have it.
I sent a link. Reading the link is free. Cost you nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 10:18 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,416,748 times
We have a film maker here in the area that uses a Drone to film. He has been working on our new hospital project. The drone that he uses is a commercial 8 propeller drone. It is large. He carries it in a large suit case. When he assembles it the drone is large enough to take the floor space in a 6 foot pickup bed. This thing can take amazing pictures, films really. The cost for one of these large drones with the capability to film from long range is not something that the neighborhood kid is going to be spending their money on.

My Nephew has a drone as well. His is about 2 feet in diameter. The controller has a screen on it and the drone has a small camera. When it is in the air you get to see things but they are more long range than close up. To get a good picture of something close up you need to be close. These smaller drones are not going to be peaking in your room from long distances. To get a decent shot of a room you would need to be right outside the window. My son was flying it once and he flew the thing right up to me. I wanted to see how well the camera was and found that you need to be somewhat close to get the shot. For the long range though they are cool. A guy here at work used one to record fireworks in the area.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:32 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,301,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post

Shooting pheasants and drones is quite similar.
Except you could easily land in jail for shooting a drone in a neighborhood, and rightfully so.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:39 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,537,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
With their onboard video downlink you would be on the TV news within a day.
Just be discreet.
Shhhhh..... it's dwone season!

Old 07-06-2017, 10:42 AM

4,321 posts, read 4,225,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Did they say they will have video of the bullet? That's ridiculous. But they could easily have video of a person pointing a gun shortly before it gets destroyed.

I guess you weren't aware that affordable drones have live streaming video capability?
I will repeat the question for the 3rd time: how is the drone going to capture the image of a concealed shooter? Does the drone have Xray or MRI capabilities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I sent a link. Reading the link is free. Cost you nothing.
Maybe your time is free. Mine is very expensive.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:01 AM

960 posts, read 2,031,570 times
I'm going to mostly stay out of the debate except to say:

1) Hovering very low over someone's house is completely inappropriate, and if the person is spying, talk to them or contact the authorities
2) I personally do my best to respect everyone's privacy (neighbor was actually sad when I told him my security camera cut off before his property line , because he was hoping I had some video for him for an incident. I purposely make sure they view my property only), but I've occasionally flown over houses to get somewhere. When I do, I do it high enough that it should cause no disturbance (the things can be loud) and not impact anyone's enjoyment of their own property.

With that said, as mentioned several times here, these things are wide angle meant for taking video of landscape and the like, not spying on people. While I'm sure there are creeps who use it for that purpose, the large majority are just having fun. I would do better spying by walking the neighborhood with my cell phone. For example, here is a shot from about 190 feet high if I recall. I'm standing on the baseball field. Can't find me? Look to the grass just behind where first base would be, and you'll see a white dot. In fairness, this is a screen grab from the video, so if I took an actual picture from there it would be slightly better, but when I fly over an area at 190 feet, I'm not spying on you, and will have no idea you are even there in all likelihood.

For another reference, I believe this was about 35-40 feet. You can at least find people in this one. But you can't tell a thing other than "there is a person". Drones are new technology, a little unknown, and have been in the news. However, you probably have plenty of other things to worry about (like a hacker using your own cell phone camera to spy).

Last edited by z28lt1; 07-06-2017 at 12:17 PM..

Old 07-06-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf1958 View Post
Lotta Internet Tough Guys in this thread. Just give it a try shooting down a drone and see what that gets you. Be sure to post the results.

There SHOULD be laws preventing drones from flying over private property without permission; but until there are, destruction of another's property is a crime.
No tough guy at all, if you use your drone to surveil me or harass me and trespass on my property, you WILL lose your drone. Lots of ways to take them down, doesn't have to be a firearm. If YOUR drone is trespassing on my property, I can do what I want with it.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:28 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,557,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
<>I do not think showing examples of the limits of current drone technology is relevant to this discussion
From the issue of legality you are correct. As a practical matter the fact the pictures are not really clear means people are getting upset for no important reason.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:31 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,557,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
In my limited experience, pheasant tastes better.
You need more ketchup on your drones.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
I'm going to mostly stay out of the debate except to say:

1) Hovering very low over someones house is completely inappropriate, and if the person is spying, talk to them or contact the authorities
2) I personally do my best to respect everyone's privacy (neighbor was actually sad when I told him my security camera cut off before his property line , because he was hoping I had some video for him for an incident. I purposely make sure they view my property only), but I've occasionally flown over houses to get somewhere. When I do, I do it high enough that it should cause no disturbance (the things can be loud) and not impact anyone's enjoyment of their own property.

With that said, as mentioned several times here, these things are wide angle mean for taken video of landscape and the like, not spying on people. While I'm sure there are creeps who use it for that purpose, the large majority are just having fun. I would do better spying by walking the neighborhood with my cell phone. For example, here is a shot from about 190 feet high if I recall. I'm standing on the baseball field. Can't find me? Look to the grass just behind where first base would be, and you'll see a white dot. In fairness, this is a screen grab from the video, so if I took an actual picture from there it would be slightly better, but when I fly over an area at 190 feet, I'm not spying on you, and will have no idea you are even there in all likelihood.

For another reference, I believe this was about 35-40 feet. You can at least find people in this one. But you can't tell a thing other than "there is a person". Drones are new technology, a little unknown, and have been in the news. However, you probably have plenty of other things to worry about (like a hacker using your own cell phone camera to spy).
I have no problem with people like yourself, because you obviously respect the subjects and property of your photography and hobby. I don't even have any problem that Amazon wants to fly over my house to deliver a package up the road. There is, I'm sure, a small element of the population that has either nefarious intentions using a drone, or just inconsiderate a- holes who are entertained by mischievous pranks. Those are the people I have a problem with, and they won't find my solution very entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House