Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 09:00 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,460,871 times

Advertisements

Some foods should not be used with cast iron. Period.cooking class 101 tip.

Otherwise for non stick..Cooperchef is a viable option,price wise and performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 11:15 PM

4,612 posts, read 3,005,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I like my Circulon really well. Some of my pans are over 20 years old and still good.

If you want to have non-stick pans, you have to take special care of them. I never put mine in the dishwasher because the dishwasher dries them out. Handwash only. I rarely burn food, but when I do, I just fill the pan with soapy water and let it soak for about 15 minutes. Then it will just wipe right out.

Don't scrub with harsh cleaners. Use non-stick utensils and cleaners. Dont let the dog lick the pan.

Don't cook your food at over-high temperatures. Have a little patience and cook at the correct temperature.

The Circulon is not cheap, so I consider it a good investment of my time to baby it a little bit. Treat it properly and it will last for decades.
And I've had good results with Circulon's sibling brand Anolon.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:55 AM

24,587 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Cast iron has its place in the kitchen but but not for everything and OP asked about non stick.

My Calphalon Professional has been in use for about ten years - any utensil, dish washer. The omlett pan got replaced after SO used it. Cheap professional pan from the local supply store works well but medium heat, proper utensils and hand washing.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:03 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificWest View Post
Looking for a truly nonstick cookware.

This is how it goes someone say try this Brand name, I go to Amazon, check out the product, description, features & details. Lastly, I go and read the reviews.

Some reviews will give the product 1 Star.. Say food sticks after having it less than a year, not a good product, horrible & DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY! And will recommend another Brand name they personally prefer.

Well... I go to the Brand name the previous reviewer recommended, same thing again you will have some reviews giving it 1 Star, saying food sticks after having it for less than a year, not a good product, horrible & DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY! And will recommend another Brand name they personally prefer.

So it goes on & on & on it never ends.
Bottom line before I spend my hard-earned cash, can someone refer me to a truly nonstick cookware.
Thanks!
They probably don't take good care of them. It's a whole system that is actually easy - easy is the point of non-stick, but if one doesn't buy all the right utintils too (no metal that will scratch them), put them in the dishwasher, use a brush that is too rough, they will ruin quickly.

My new ceramic pan ($10 kind) you can literally wipe out food with a (soft) paper towel. It's rather astonishing. But I could quickly ruin it if I ever cleaned it with anything rougher than the specified type of sponge, or lightly swishing a brush that is stated to be for these kinds of surfaces.

I cooked eggs to test that - of course eggs cannot be cleaned with a paper towel. But a (very short, anything can rust) time soaking and they swished away with the cleaning brush I already have from using teflon forever.

I prefer my teflon. Someone else ruined them, so my first purchase was this ceramic, but I don't like a learning curve on temps and times. I am used to teflon, so shall stick (ha) with that. I have a mid-range set. That is plenty good enough - lasted me all these many years..............

Old 10-16-2017, 10:05 AM

17,211 posts, read 15,412,961 times
The ABSOLUTE best thing is cast iron... You just have to know how to wash it and prepare it. There are various tutorials online. Basically, after you get done with it, wash it, do not dry it. Put it on the stove and let the heat evaporate the water, remove, then coat it with oil using a paper towel. Let sit, then you have a true non-stick without the use of chemicals and crap.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:10 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,341,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I have had my Calphalon non stick cookware 6 years and it's great but pricy.
Same here.

Always use plastic utensils, never ever goes in the dishwasher, only a non scratching sponge to clean it with. Do not use high temps on them. Never let water just sit in them overnight.

For things that do require high temps, I use Calpalon without the non stick coating. I have two of those. One for bacon and one to sear steaks with then pop into the oven.

I've had mine for about 6 or 7 years also. Still like new.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:15 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificWest View Post

Some reviews will give the product 1 Star.. Say food sticks after having it less than a year, not a good product, horrible & DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY! And will recommend another Brand name they personally prefer.

Well... I go to the Brand name the previous reviewer recommended, same thing again you will have some reviews giving it 1 Star, saying food sticks after having it for less than a year, not a good product, horrible & DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY! And will recommend another Brand name they personally prefer.
My food only sticks when I overcook it. Perhaps this is an issue with the people doing the cooking.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:36 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
My new ceramic pan ($10 kind) you can literally wipe out food with a (soft) paper towel. It's rather astonishing. But I could quickly ruin it if I ever cleaned it with anything rougher than the specified type of sponge, or lightly swishing a brush that is stated to be for these kinds of surfaces.

I cooked eggs to test that - of course eggs cannot be cleaned with a paper towel. But a (very short, anything can rust) time soaking and they swished away with the cleaning brush I already have from using teflon forever.
I have a set of t-fal that wipes clean with a paper towel, eggs included. The handles are removable so the pans nest, I love it. But they are about 25 years old and starting to go (children who couldn't be bothered to use bamboo or plastic utensils every time) so this thread is of great interest to me since I'm going to be looking to replace my most used pans soon.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:40 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,239,564 times
If you have a glasstop stove, don't use a copper bottom. All of you suggesting to use a cast iron pan, have you tried swirling something around in one of those? Or try flipping a frittata in a cast iron pan?

OP, you don't have to spend a lot of money. Longevity is in the way you maintain and use it. Don't over heat and avoid scratching the inside. When I store my pans, I put either a paper towel or a piece of non-skid liner so the bottoms don't scratch the inside. Wash with warm soapy water and a non-abrasive sponge. Don't put it directly in the sink and put water in it as soon as you're done cooking.

So far my Calphalon 13 inch covered skillet has made it through a good 4 or 5 years without a scratch. I also have a set of 3 Bobby Flay non-stick frying pans that I've been using for at least 6 years.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:43 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,239,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I have had my Calphalon non stick cookware 6 years and it's great but pricy.
I ended up ordering mine from Amazon. It was $15 less than other stores and I still paid about $60 for one piece
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House