Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 11:36 AM

936 posts, read 824,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I have a set of t-fal that wipes clean with a paper towel, eggs included. The handles are removable so the pans nest, I love it. But they are about 25 years old and starting to go (children who couldn't be bothered to use bamboo or plastic utensils every time) so this thread is of great interest to me since I'm going to be looking to replace my most used pans soon.

I have a couple of T-Fal skillets too. They're great. They're also the No 1 rated nonstick skillet by America's Test Kitchen. I only add oil to the pan for taste. You can cook almost anything in this pan without any added oil and it will not stick. I bought my skillets at Walmart for about $18.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 12:04 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
I got a gift from someone this past Christmas that was one of those "copper" interior, non-stick pan--a square skillet--
Not best shape since doesn't stack in my pans drawer very well
But it is certainly non-stick
My husband bought me a set of stainless steel cookware which are not very good but hated to tell him that---
If he hadn't given them I would have returned them--but he ordered from Amazon--and thought he got a good deal--they are really badly balanced and stick cooking anything even when I start on low heat
I would have ordered a set of this copper non stick if I hadn't gotten the SS set

Old 10-16-2017, 12:15 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
If you can find the old cast iron pans - Wagner Ware or Griswold - they will be a lot lighter than the current brands of cast iron. Light enough that you can flip eggs in them. Properly seasoned, they're non-stick. And when you get tired of them, you can sell them for about the same price you paid for them or let your kids inherit them.

However, I'm not sure if a cast iron is the right pan for a glass stove top. We cook on gas so we don't worry about it.

The cast iron pans in the cupboard here are the skillets, wok, griddle and stew pots. The wok is Lodge and is really heavy, but it does hold enough heat to properly wok things. The rest of the pots and pans are stainless steel, the old Revere Ware copper bottom (on the outside, not the inside) pans.

Most of them were gotten in the late sixties, early seventies and I don't expect to need to ever replace them. No need to budget for new cookware, if anything we can sell the excess pieces for income should we ever want to.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:20 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
I also have a couple thick anandized woks with a handle...they really clean up fast!
Very happt with them, also....from Goodwill for $4 maybe ...like new!...
Also the Le Creuset clean up great...if they stain , bleach makes them white again.
Maybe $7 at Goodwill!

Old 10-16-2017, 01:44 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
well seasoned cast iron doesn't normally stick unless someone is cooking improperly.

Typically, heating up the pan until it's hot and not putting anything in it until the oil has heat up until smoking/nearly smoking and there should be minimal sticking.

non stick is usually a crutch for the inexperienced cooks.

Problem with that is not everything calls for cooking at smoking point temperatures.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:50 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I ended up ordering mine from Amazon. It was $15 less than other stores and I still paid about $60 for one piece
Like mechanic's tools and woodworking tools I doubt anyone will regret buying good quality kitchen tools. In the lonf run they usually wind up being a bargain.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:03 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,239,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Like mechanic's tools and woodworking tools I doubt anyone will regret buying good quality kitchen tools. In the lonf run they usually wind up being a bargain.
Oh, that's probably one of my best purchases. I've had it for several years now and it's like new. Have to treat it lovingly and gently

Old 10-16-2017, 04:35 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
okay this was brought up on another post , please stay away from copper chef if you have a glass smooth top stove because the copper will stick to the top and ruin your stove . I repeat don t use copper chef anything when you have a smooth top stove and when I read our directions for our new stove it said no copper anything and no cast iron anything on this stove or you will ruin it ....

Old 10-16-2017, 05:50 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
Copperchef pans do not leach or stick to glass or any surface. They are also used in the oven up to 500F.

I use the very lightweight copperchef pan DAILY on my glass-top stove with never an issue.

Thinly lined heavy copper pans, which do leach copper, are different than copperchef.

But any pan might stick if you are a sloppy cook and have food on the burners themselves.

OP TRY ONE COPPERCHEF PAN AND GET BACK TO US

Old 10-16-2017, 07:00 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I ended up ordering mine from Amazon. It was $15 less than other stores and I still paid about $60 for one piece
I have a 15 piece set that cost about $1,000. My DH bought them from Williams and sonmoma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House