Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 07:13 PM

10,346 posts, read 8,561,064 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am going to be renting out my walk out basement. It's about 1200 sq ft. It has it's own heater and AC, but it is paid for by me on the same electric bill as my house. I am looking for some sort of smart thermostat that I can preset the hi and low temps where the tenant cannot overide it. They can program it and set temps anywhere they want when they want as long as it sits within the range I preset.
Is there something like that out there?

One person suggested I get something like a nest or ecobee where I can't set the hi and low temps, but could monitor where they set it with a phone app. Then I would just write into the rental agreement they have to keep temps within a certain range or pay a penalty fee. I'm not going to put ridiculous limits, just reasonable ones. I've seen tenants set the thermostat at 80 degrees in the winter while its 30 degrees ouside and then lounge around the house in shorts and tank tops. Most people I know set it at 70 or so and wear a sweater or something.
If they were paying the bill then they can have at it, but in this case I am paying the bill myself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 07:43 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,652,230 times
Look for limiting thermostats. Like these https://www.landlordstat.com

Common for hotels, landlords, etc.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:21 PM

61,660 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Wow. This is pretty cool!! Thank you for posting!
Going to explore the features...

Old 11-25-2017, 08:57 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Hi. I am going to be renting out my walk out basement. It's about 1200 sq ft. It has it's own heater and AC, but it is paid for by me on the same electric bill as my house. I am looking for some sort of smart thermostat that I can preset the hi and low temps where the tenant cannot overide it. They can program it and set temps anywhere they want when they want as long as it sits within the range I preset.
Is there something like that out there?

One person suggested I get something like a nest or ecobee where I can't set the hi and low temps, but could monitor where they set it with a phone app. Then I would just write into the rental agreement they have to keep temps within a certain range or pay a penalty fee. I'm not going to put ridiculous limits, just reasonable ones. I've seen tenants set the thermostat at 80 degrees in the winter while its 30 degrees ouside and then lounge around the house in shorts and tank tops. Most people I know set it at 70 or so and wear a sweater or something.
If they were paying the bill then they can have at it, but in this case I am paying the bill myself
I used to be an apartment manager where we had an old building with 25 units, with utilities included. And, I'm now retired and I'm a tenant. So, this is my take:

If you're just going to be doing short term rentals, like AirBnB, the thermostat linked above should work pretty well for you. Though, it still won't stop people from leaving lights on, etc.

As far as a longer-term tenant: Tenants will find a way to be warmer or cooler, and be sneaky about it if they think they can get away with it - and/or - they will be a major pain in the rear complaining to you constantly about needing more control over being comfortable. To be honest with you, as a tenant now, I'd do the same thing.

So, what would happen is they'd simply get some space heaters. And maybe even a portable a/c that they sneak using at night - although, that would be more difficult to do since you live there. But, we didn't have a/c when I first got the resident manager job for the apartment building I mentioned above, and I finally caught a tenant who would take out her portable a/c and just open a window for the hose, and run it all night LOL. We finally installed a/c and just jacked up the rent to cover the additional electricity.

But, they also won't be careful at all about leaving computers on and running, or leaving lights on - and I can tell you that my huge wifi router that I use right now, really sucks electricity. Where I live now, I do have to pay for my own electricity, though.

If they have to pay for their own electricity, they'll be WAY more conservative in their usage, than if they don't have to pay the bill.

We had two college students in one unit once, and we went in to do maintenance and they had the a/c unit AND the gas heater (which was right next to the window a/c unit) running at the same time, each trying to outdo the other. What did they care? They weren't paying the bills for gas and electricity.

So, for long-term tenants, I'd suggest finding some type of electricity usage monitor that would be tied just to the breakers that service the walk out basement. If you're lucky, that will be straightforward - as far as being able to show the tenant how that area is on separate breakers, and how you have monitors set up that shows actual usage.

Then, what I'd do is perhaps come up with an amount of electricity that is included, and any overage is charged at the rate you get charged from the electric company.

Because, honestly, from my experience managing 25 units for 8+ years - you'll otherwise be dealing with lots of complaining from tenants who can't change the temperature in their unit. And if they suddenly stop complaining, especially in winter, you can bet they are using portable heaters and just leaving them on when they leave.

I just learned ways to avoid dealing with tenant complaints.

Another suggestion, if you're new at landlording and you are looking for renting it longer term than AirBnB, is to just make your rental agreements month to month. That's what we did. That way, if they start complaining about how things are, you can say "I'm so sorry you're not happy. But, you can just give me 30 days notice any time, if you decide you'd rather live somewhere else."

The good news about that, is that they usually decide to stay and shut up - because then it's their choice to stay. And, if they become too much of a pain, you can just give them 30 days notice, too.

But, if there's any way you can just separately meter that unit, that's the ideal way to go. Then, it's just their bill, and you don't have to get into discussions every single month on how they're using their electricity. That won't be fun.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:22 PM

10,346 posts, read 8,561,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I used to be an apartment manager where we had an old building with 25 units, with utilities included. And, I'm now retired and I'm a tenant. So, this is my take:

If you're just going to be doing short term rentals, like AirBnB, the thermostat linked above should work pretty well for you. Though, it still won't stop people from leaving lights on, etc.

As far as a longer-term tenant: Tenants will find a way to be warmer or cooler, and be sneaky about it if they think they can get away with it - and/or - they will be a major pain in the rear complaining to you constantly about needing more control over being comfortable. To be honest with you, as a tenant now, I'd do the same thing.

So, what would happen is they'd simply get some space heaters. And maybe even a portable a/c that they sneak using at night - although, that would be more difficult to do since you live there. But, we didn't have a/c when I first got the resident manager job for the apartment building I mentioned above, and I finally caught a tenant who would take out her portable a/c and just open a window for the hose, and run it all night LOL. We finally installed a/c and just jacked up the rent to cover the additional electricity.

But, they also won't be careful at all about leaving computers on and running, or leaving lights on - and I can tell you that my huge wifi router that I use right now, really sucks electricity. Where I live now, I do have to pay for my own electricity, though.

If they have to pay for their own electricity, they'll be WAY more conservative in their usage, than if they don't have to pay the bill.

We had two college students in one unit once, and we went in to do maintenance and they had the a/c unit AND the gas heater (which was right next to the window a/c unit) running at the same time, each trying to outdo the other. What did they care? They weren't paying the bills for gas and electricity.

So, for long-term tenants, I'd suggest finding some type of electricity usage monitor that would be tied just to the breakers that service the walk out basement. If you're lucky, that will be straightforward - as far as being able to show the tenant how that area is on separate breakers, and how you have monitors set up that shows actual usage.

Then, what I'd do is perhaps come up with an amount of electricity that is included, and any overage is charged at the rate you get charged from the electric company.

Because, honestly, from my experience managing 25 units for 8+ years - you'll otherwise be dealing with lots of complaining from tenants who can't change the temperature in their unit. And if they suddenly stop complaining, especially in winter, you can bet they are using portable heaters and just leaving them on when they leave.

I just learned ways to avoid dealing with tenant complaints.

Another suggestion, if you're new at landlording and you are looking for renting it longer term than AirBnB, is to just make your rental agreements month to month. That's what we did. That way, if they start complaining about how things are, you can say "I'm so sorry you're not happy. But, you can just give me 30 days notice any time, if you decide you'd rather live somewhere else."

The good news about that, is that they usually decide to stay and shut up - because then it's their choice to stay. And, if they become too much of a pain, you can just give them 30 days notice, too.

But, if there's any way you can just separately meter that unit, that's the ideal way to go. Then, it's just their bill, and you don't have to get into discussions every single month on how they're using their electricity. That won't be fun.
While all the electrical is on one meter it does appear there is a completely separate panel for the basement. The problem is that still won't monitor gas usage. I did consider they might bring in a space heater or something. It sounds like I should just get a thermostat that has an app that alerts me when temperatures hit certain points.
I did glance at some of the landlord thermostats before but wanted to check on anyone else's idea or experience with these smart thermostats.

Old 11-26-2017, 02:47 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
If I was cold and my landlord wouldn't allow me to turn up the heat, I would hang a wet washcloth over the thermostat.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:03 PM

20,099 posts, read 9,006,146 times
zip lock bag of ice hanging over the thermostat always worked for me.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:06 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,652,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
and I can tell you that my huge wifi router that I use right now, really sucks electricity.
Routers? Never heard of such a thing. Most only have 5 watt power supplies. Here is a comparison of all the most expensive routers and they range from 2 watts to 19 watts when running full speed with multiple computers.

LINK

Old 11-26-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
It sounds like I should just get a thermostat that has an app that alerts me when temperatures hit certain points.
But, think that through. So, your app says their apartment is 80 degrees. What do you do? Call them up and ask them why your app says it's 80 degrees in their apartment? You can't just waltz in there. You have to give them 24 hours notice to enter, and of course, it won't be 80 degrees when you show up. Then, you call them liars? Kick them out?

My point is just that if you can minimize confrontations and complaints by any means, you will be happier and your rental will demand less of your time or blood pressure.

If there is any way to just spring for a separate meter where they get their own bill, that would be ideal.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
If I was cold and my landlord wouldn't allow me to turn up the heat, I would hang a wet washcloth over the thermostat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
zip lock bag of ice hanging over the thermostat always worked for me.
LOL, exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House