Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 03:53 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,993 times

Advertisements

The light from the tv can mess with your circadian rhythm, and give you insomnia. But then so can any light. That's why they say to keep your bedroom dark. Darkness prepares your body for sleep by making it produce melatonin. And light makes your body think it's time to wake up. They tell you to cut back on the light producing things about an hour before bedtime. Those facts are in most articles I've ever read on getting better sleep. But people do it anyway.

https://sleepfoundation.org/bedroom/see.php

------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 05:06 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
The light from the tv can mess with your circadian rhythm, and give you insomnia. But then so can any light. That's why they say to keep your bedroom dark. Darkness prepares your body for sleep by making it produce melatonin. And light makes your body think it's time to wake up. They tell you to cut back on the light producing things about an hour before bedtime. Those facts are in most articles I've ever read on getting better sleep. But people do it anyway.

Yeah, I (as many people) know all about that... but since I rarely sleep as it is, I've gotta do what helps! And for me, the lull of an old movie on my TV is what puts me out. In addition to setting the sleep timer, I also dim the brightness (when I know sleepytime is near), so maybe that helps?

Old 12-13-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I like to listen to the TV while going to sleep. Turn down the brightness, set the sleep timer, and I'm out!
Soooo, I'm not the only one! Glad to know my habits aren't THAT weird, lol.

I even keep a collection of movies (ones I've seen a million times) in "My List" on Netflix/Hulu, so I can just pick one before bedtime... used to keep DVDs for that purpose, so it's nice having an easier way to switch them out nightly. I do wish they'd change the movies available more often, though, as one can only watch "The Money Pit" so many times.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
With Waze and traffic on Google Maps, why would anyone waste time watching a traffic report? Same thing for news. You can skim the headlines on your news feed in 30 seconds. That conveys as much information as an hour of vapid morning show fare.
Maybe some people like that "vapid morning show fare," and hearing the reports from a live human being? Waze and Google Maps only show major incidents, and basic traffic info - sometimes not even accurate, in my experience. And headlines on a news feed? Again, only the BIG stuff will be reported there! I've literally driven past a huge accident, then checked (upon arriving at my destination) my phone to see what happened, and found zilch. Local news reporters are waaay more on top of things than Waze/Google/etc. And I say this as someone who lives like 3 miles from Google Campus, lol.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:21 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Maybe some people like that "vapid morning show fare," and hearing the reports from a live human being? Waze and Google Maps only show major incidents, and basic traffic info - sometimes not even accurate, in my experience. And headlines on a news feed? Again, only the BIG stuff will be reported there! I've literally driven past a huge accident, then checked (upon arriving at my destination) my phone to see what happened, and found zilch. Local news reporters are waaay more on top of things than Waze/Google/etc. And I say this as someone who lives like 3 miles from Google Campus, lol.
Not to mention that you can catch the news as you are running around getting ready. To catch it on the phone, you have to stop what you're doing. I like to hear the voices while I am waking up and getting ready. Sometime I even like a bit of "vapid morning show fare" before I go to the office and get immersed in serious work stuff.

Sheesh. Some people are so judgmental.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:33 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,949,516 times
Quote:

The reason those "facts" are in all the articles is because when someone writes an article, they copy from the previous ones. They call that research these days.

These little "tricks" don't work for everyone. I love a mid-afternoon nap (light streaming in the windows) and generally sleep well past sunrise every day. Light and dark have nothing to do with my sleep patterns. YMMV

Old 12-13-2017, 06:52 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I always like falling asleep to old movies (I set the sleep timer ahead), so a TV in the bedroom is kind of a must for me! Unless you're the type who literally just walks into the bedroom, plops down, and falls asleep, it's a moot point that you have another one in the living room. And I live in a 700-ish sq ft 1br myself, lol.

But I have to ask; why is a wall mount necessary to you? Both of my televisions are flat screens, and I just use the stand they come with... one being on an entertainment center (also containing my PS4, dvd, etc), and the other on top of a short bookshelf. I've never had mine mounted, mostly because I tend to move frequently. So there's one way to save money, if you're concerned.
I agree. I don't do wall mounts, either. Just put it on a bookcase or chest. Don't mess up the wall.

I also like to rearrange furniture and artwork occasionally, so a wall mount wouldn't suit me.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:04 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:

That's what they say, all right. Maybe that is why so many people have trouble sleeping these days.

BUT...there may be other things at play, too. I truly am one of those who has no trouble sleeping (maybe a couple of times a year, but that's it). I fall asleep and wake up reasonably early. I don't even need an alarm clock. I sleep through the night like a baby. And yet...I use my laptop for hours every day, I have the tv in the LR on almost constantly, and then I turn the BR tv on when I go to bed. The tv lulls me to sleep. I get ticked off sometimes that I missed the end of a show because I fell asleep.

I grew up in a noisy, large family. I always shared a room. I live alone, now. Silence is deafening to me. I find it disturbing. Plus, I love tv. It's so entertaining and educational (I watch informational programs, too). Turn on late night Alfred Hitchcock or Perry Mason or Murder She Wrote, and I slowly drift off in no time. I have actually been awakened in the middle of the night to the "sound" of silence. I'd had a power outage. Strange, I know.

So maybe it's what you're used to or how you were raised.

I would read (I used to love to read), but these days, I fall asleep even faster. I can barely read a few pgs before my eyes start to close.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:23 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
That's what they say, all right. Maybe that is why so many people have trouble sleeping these days.

BUT...there may be other things at play, too. I truly am one of those who has no trouble sleeping (maybe a couple of times a year, but that's it). I fall asleep and wake up reasonably early. I don't even need an alarm clock. I sleep through the night like a baby. And yet...I use my laptop for hours every day, I have the tv in the LR on almost constantly, and then I turn the BR tv on when I go to bed. The tv lulls me to sleep. I get ticked off sometimes that I missed the end of a show because I fell asleep.

I grew up in a noisy, large family. I always shared a room. I live alone, now. Silence is deafening to me. I find it disturbing. Plus, I love tv. It's so entertaining and educational (I watch informational programs, too). Turn on late night Alfred Hitchcock or Perry Mason or Murder She Wrote, and I slowly drift off in no time. I have actually been awakened in the middle of the night to the "sound" of silence. I'd had a power outage. Strange, I know.

So maybe it's what you're used to or how you were raised.

I would read (I used to love to read), but these days, I fall asleep even faster. I can barely read a few pgs before my eyes start to close.
Funny how people are so different. For me, the darker the better. I couldn't sleep with the tv on if my life depended on it. My ex husband couldn't sleep without it. No wonder we were incompatible, lol. The flickering light keeps me awake, and the sound is distracting. But I've used a cheap old box fan since the 70's as white noise. Works perfectly. I point it away from me so it's not drafty. The droning sound it makes put's me out right away.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:25 PM

4 posts, read 2,831 times
Im not sure if this has been said, but if you don't even know if you want the TV, there is no need for 4K. You can buy a 32" Roku TV on Amazon for $169 and come in under $200 with the mount. I just set that up in my sister's condo, 32" is a great size for a bedroom.

I have had a TV in my bedroom since I was a kid, I won't go without one, sometimes I like to get in bed early and watch TV for a few hours. I am literally in bed now watching TV and typing this on my iPad (it's 10:30).

I also have a TV in the kitchen. My condo is a 1 bedroom with 800 sqft so it's similar to yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House