Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 07:10 PM

146 posts, read 449,591 times

Advertisements

Apologies for the somewhat unclear topic title...wasn't sure how to word it.

I noticed that on Zillow, many listings of newer houses (1985-now) show the house looking great, with shiny windows. Everything looks shiny and nice, and modern. Of course, I am aware that most of those are staged with furniture, and that the furniture is not really part of the house.

However, the quality of the house looks nice. Windows are shiny and clean, walls look freshly painted, and you can't really see cracks or pops in the wall. Even some videos support this. However, I was told that the quality of those houses aren't great, and that things creak, windows don't open or close properly, and fogs. I can't see that in the photos.

I guess what I'm getting at is... if the house in question is of lousy/questionable quality, then why does it look good in photos/videos? How is that possible? For example, if the doors were cheap, walls were thin, and windows were of low quality, wouldn't that show in the photos/videos?

I hope this made sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 07:30 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,473,484 times
Photoshop? Works with people...

Old 12-21-2017, 07:37 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,693,426 times
I understand what you're saying. It's the home inspection that'll find all those hidden defects, at least I hope they do. It depends on what is inspected. You may not want the roof inspected . . Or the pool . . .

I like to see homes online that offer more information, like documents listing when improvements were made. If they have a bug service.. . Not that that is real important, but it shows they care about their property and there isn't an ant or roach problem. Termite contract. That's a big one for me.

There are ways you can tell the home looks good or not from online pictures. The waterlines on the brick and if there aren't gutters, you'll see those. Having trees too close to the house will impact the foundation. If the lawn looks in good shape, has a sprinkler system, because in my area of Houston the soil can contract and expand depending on the drought. You don't want a home with foundation problems! If the lawn looks bad, the soil is pulling away from the foundation, then you look at the window corners in the house to see if there are cracks. If the doors don't shut tight or look like they're hanging wrong is another indication. Then there's the floor tiles and look at those pictures to see if there are any cracks.

Yeah it's hard to see everything in a picture but you can get a general idea. Homes look great in pictures because they can touch it up, angle the camera for the best coverage, and focus on the good areas instead of the bad. Cheap doors are easy to tell - They are those awful solid wood looking hollow ones. Compare what you see online to doors for sale at Lowe's or Home Depot. The house age will show whether the windows are energy efficient. That's when those documents to update and renovate the home are so nice. Unless they say anything and disclose it, an older home won't have those low e windows.

And always always ask for the companies that did the work if you buy a home.. . Previous owner said they had the roof redone 2 years ago and here it's leaking. If you don't have the company name, and know if there is a warranty, then you're up a creek. The seller should prove his words and you as the buyer get all those documents.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:37 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1369 View Post
the quality of the house looks nice. Windows are shiny and clean, walls look freshly painted, and you can't really see cracks or pops in the wall. Even some videos support this. However, I was told that the quality of those houses aren't great, and that things creak, windows don't open or close properly, and fogs. I can't see that in the photos.

I guess what I'm getting at is... if the house in question is of lousy/questionable quality, then why does it look good in photos/videos? How is that possible? For example, if the doors were cheap, walls were thin, and windows were of low quality, wouldn't that show in the photos/videos?
Another possibility is that the house would look great, if you went to look at it. Maybe the person who is telling you this, is either not being truthful or else has unrealistically high standards, or for some other reason is misrepresenting the house to you.

That said, even on my fairly low cost house, my realtor tweaked the photos (that he took) with photoshop to make it look more appealing.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:41 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Try this. Go cook a meal that you see from a photo and tell us if it taste like the photo. See my point?
When investing always get inspection before assuming that 'shiny' or 'clean' automatically means it's functioning.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:46 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,693,426 times
Any homeowner wants the best pictures online for their home to sell. I get that. I'm there with them. But I understand what the OP is saying in that so many homes look great, how can that be?

Another tip - Look at the neighborhood on street view. Look at various views of the home with maps. Go to YouTube and type in the subdivision, the street, and see if there's anything else. I once saw an interesting home. . . Did a google street search, saw another home on the same street listed for sale a year ago, that home had flooded.

Builders also do this - Go for the surface looks. Even a brand new home should be inspected. You don't know where they'd cut corners.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:54 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
The lesson is do not buy a house just from the photos.

Photos don't show noise or bad neighbors. The person taking the photos can angle the camera to not show broken walls or other damage.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:08 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Photos simply do NOT convey all of the information that your eye can perceive. Especially considering you're looking at a small screen (smaller than the size of a front door, for certain), and an image that's looking at a Lot of detail. Try to blow that image up and you lose detail.

Things always look better in photos, even without touching up. You can angle shots to include and exclude certain things, simply not take photos of the worst areas, etc. Beyond that, no photo can convey squeaky floors, stuck windows, etc...

Don't bother with more "why" than this, just accept that it's true and carry on. An in-person inspection before even making an offer is 100% essential. So is a professional inspection of the home (which focuses on structure, function, health and safety... not cosmetics).

Old 12-22-2017, 07:15 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
I do appreciate clear and good pictures though. Some realtors probably should find another line of work. How difficult is it to take a decent photo?

Old 12-22-2017, 07:19 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I do appreciate clear and good pictures though. Some realtors probably should find another line of work. How difficult is it to take a decent photo?

Difficult enough that good photographers can demand $20k for a days work (I have an in-law who shoots weddings, $20k is her average but can be Much higher for foreign destinations).

Not so difficult as browsing RE photos would make it seem....

But hey, it's a Ripe business opportunity!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House