Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 08:10 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,956,019 times

Advertisements

I am looking at houses and I am surprised at the small vent fans and low power fans I'm finding. I was blown away when I found no vent fans in the bathrooms of my apartment here in Charlotte. Though the lease had a lengthy mold clause. I ran an oscillating fan 24/7 while I lived there.

I know there has to be higher powered vent fans than in finding. Suggestions? After living in the subtropical climes of Savannah, dampness is my enemy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 09:07 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Those little 50cfm fans are useless. Even in a smaller bathroom, I wouldn’t want less than 80cfm.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:53 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
I am looking at houses and I am surprised at the small vent fans and low power fans I'm finding. I was blown away when I found no vent fans in the bathrooms of my apartment here in Charlotte. Though the lease had a lengthy mold clause. I ran an oscillating fan 24/7 while I lived there.

I know there has to be higher powered vent fans than in finding. Suggestions? After living in the subtropical climes of Savannah, dampness is my enemy!
I work at a place where we install lots of bathroom fans, and have had the best performance from Panasonic fans. These can be single speed, while others have variable speeds. They are more expensive than the average fan, but are super quiet and efficient. The variable speeds are 50/80/110 cubic foot per minute. Some go as high as 150 CFM, but I prefer at leas a dual-speed fan.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:42 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
I agree Panasonic are among the best. I put all of my bathroom fans on 5 minute motion sensor timers. Powder room on 1 minute. Maybe we over ventilate a little,but it is better than under ventilating.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:50 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Thank you this is helpful. OUr fans keep croaking. They do not seem to last long at all. I will look for panasonic

Old 01-12-2018, 10:12 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,191,390 times
I had to replace the cheap fan that was installed by the builder after 10 years, the bearing were apparently shot. When I went to purchase new one I saw the one that was installed on the shelf, it was the cheapest one there. I upgraded to a much better one, was at least 3-4 times the price of original. It was made so you could replace the motor if it burned out without replacing the whole unit, like the original one was.... Simple thing right, just pop the old one out, pop the new one in.

Of course it was a bigger unit and had to place it in a slightly different spot in the ceiling because it stuck up higher into the attic and there was a brace/wood that made it impossible to place it there. So cut new hole, figure out how to patch old hole, had to add bracing to attach sheetrock patch to. Crawl in attic to re-attach vent out of roof, new tube thing purchased for that, old one was squished and messed up... Needed to fix popcorn ceiling, scrapped off all and made my "own" texture from youtube video... Of course had to repaint because of absolute mess. Oh the joys of home ownership!!!

Old 01-12-2018, 10:23 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
I’ll never understand why some people want a whisper quiet bathroom fan. It’s a bathroom, I’m not in there trying to watch TV or talk in the phone.

FWIW, I replaced an old 50cfm Broan with an 80cfm Air King, and the difference was amazing. I can actually feel a breeze being pulled through the gap at the bottom of the door, so I know it’s moving some air.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:06 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I’ll never understand why some people want a whisper quiet bathroom fan. It’s a bathroom, I’m not in there trying to watch TV or talk in the phone.
Do you live alone? A quiet fan doesn't wake babies, kids or sleeping spouses who might have different schedules.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:12 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Those little 50cfm fans are useless. Even in a smaller bathroom, I wouldn’t want less than 80cfm.

If you really need to move that big a fart, I suggest you find a "Gastroenterologist"- FAST!

Old 01-12-2018, 11:29 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Low power fans save energy in a couple of different ways.

First, they use less electricity to operate. Secondly, every cubic foot of air exhausted from the house is one more cubic foot that needs to be heated or cooled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House