Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2018, 11:17 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Quoted for truth. Use it or lose it. Nothing wrong with getting a single story if you need it. If you find yourself with balance problems or some other disability, by all means find the right type of housing, but to dismiss stairs simply based on the prospect of some future disability caused by a willful neglect of your basic physical aptitude is engineering for obsolecence of your own body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 11:23 AM

19,020 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
One level homes are also much easier and cheaper to heat and cool.
Not according to the laws of thermodynamics!
. . .
The most efficient volume is the sphere (least surface area for most volume).
But most folks don't fit well in spheres or hemispheres (domes).
Next, comes the cube (i.e., a multistory house, 3 story 28x28).
Least efficient is a sprawling one story house, with far more surface area in relation to enclosed volume.
. . .

However, installing an elevator to alleviate the stairway problem IS expensive.
Generally speaking, in most parts of North America, two-stop home elevators start in the range of $20,000 installed. Typical installations cost between $19,000 and $39,000.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:24 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is your home state, AlaskaErik?

Ummm...Alaska.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:35 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Not according to the laws of thermodynamics!
. . .
The most efficient volume is the sphere (least surface area for most volume).
But most folks don't fit well in spheres or hemispheres (domes).
Next, comes the cube (i.e., a multistory house, 3 story 28x28).
Least efficient is a sprawling one story house, with far more surface area in relation to enclosed volume.
. . .

However, installing an elevator to alleviate the stairway problem IS expensive.
Generally speaking, in most parts of North America, two-stop home elevators start in the range of $20,000 installed. Typical installations cost between $19,000 and $39,000.
The most thermally efficient home has no windows. Unless they throw me in jail, I have no plans to live in that.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:38 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times
Well, you may not live in your forever home forever.

It seems that people here plan to live in their house for 30-40 years. According to the statistics, you will probably sell your house way earlier than that.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:13 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,909,354 times
I have to chuckle at the folks drawing the conclusion that anyone complaining about stairs must be a decaying couch potato. I am transitioning from a 2-story over a garage to a ranch w/bonus room. I prefer getting my exercise swimming and hiking to getting up at 2 AM and schlepping all the way downstairs and around back to let the dog out to pee or making multiple trips hauling grocery bags up a flight from a drive under garage.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:37 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Nope. You're the young one in the discussion.
Over 50 the appeal of stairs diminishes rapidly
I'm 63 and not in the best shape but I can climb stairs. Very...easily... I'm thinking that over 83 the appeal of stairs diminishes rapidly.

All you country people...where I live, if I didn't have two and a half stories, I'd have the world's smallest house. Tall houses are an efficient use of space in the city, and one story houses are as scarce as hen's teeth.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:42 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Ummm...Alaska.
Yeah. You don't have much of a sense of humor on that side of the continent, do ya.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:02 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
It's all personal preference. I have lived in both and I prefer single story. I always hated that pile of 'stuff' on the stairs waiting to go up or down. And hauling the vacuum cleaner and all the laundry! And trash day. Whatever you need will always be on another floor.

I don't think 2 story is more energy efficient. At least not in climate where you use AC. To get the bedrooms on the top floor cool enough costs a lot extra.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:21 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,238,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
It's all personal preference. I have lived in both and I prefer single story. I always hated that pile of 'stuff' on the stairs waiting to go up or down. And hauling the vacuum cleaner and all the laundry! And trash day. Whatever you need will always be on another floor.

I don't think 2 story is more energy efficient. At least not in climate where you use AC. To get the bedrooms on the top floor cool enough costs a lot extra.
I prefer 2 story. For a house of the size that I want (>5000 sq ft) a 2-story house is the only way to go. That much space on 1-story is much more walking to get throughout the house, vs a 2-story with a central staircase. As far as the vacuum goes, we duplicate things, we have an upstairs vacuum and one for downstairs, etc. We've got a mini fridge in our bar area upstairs for drinks etc, so we don't have to trudge downstairs to get a cold one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House