Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2018, 02:52 PM

4 posts, read 34,682 times

Advertisements

Installing a tile shower. I had to shim out the studs that the cement board is attached to

So now I have 1/2 inch cement board that is shimmed out to about 5/8 inch. That will butt up against already installed 1/2 drywall as it exits the shower stall
This is a renovation in an existing bathroom.... and I surely don’t want to replace all the drywal.
I had considered using 1/4 inch cement board, and shimming it out flush, but don’t feel
Comfortable using 1/4 inch for the tile backer

Any sugggestions for how to merge these together?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 03:26 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,095,235 times
Huh!? Why on earth would you shim it out, knowing the drywall is the same thickness as the cement board? Pull it down, and remove the shims.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:46 PM

If that was an option, absolutely - that would be a simple fix.
FWIW - the cement board isn’t even hung yet...... but I am going to have to shim it.

Long story, but the shims were a necessity. Looking for any input on best/easiest ways to deal with the depth discrepancy

If it makes it easier to visualize, imagine 1/2 cement board merging into 3/8 inch drywall.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:47 PM

516 posts, read 1,075,799 times
You sometimes shim tile backer to allow the shower pan liner or a precast pan to run behind it to ensure proper drainage. you would not want the pan in front of the backer and tile it's a definite leak point. as far as the mismatch, take down a little more sheetrock and shim 1 end of the new sheetrock to match the backer

Old 02-04-2018, 06:44 PM

Ah Kevin...... thanks.

Such a simple solution - once someone points it out :-)

That would work Plenty of flexibility in the drywall

Thanks

Old 02-05-2018, 12:08 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1955 View Post
You sometimes shim tile backer to allow the shower pan liner or a precast pan to run behind it to ensure proper drainage...

Nope, no need. You don't want the backer board overlapping the flange- the closer it gets to the actual surface of the tub or shower pan the more likely it is to absorb moisture.

I prefer and spec 1/2" Durock- it is installed just shy (1/8" or less) of the flange; the tile will be set from the tub surface whatever size the groutline is. So again, the backer board would be flush with the surrounding drywall surfaces (no flaring due to overlapping the flange). In the OP's circumstances it would appear that he has house with 3/8" drywall. This of course would negate the use of 1/2" backer board because it wouldn't be flush with the surrounding wall(s). Or, as I stated in my previous post, a cap tile would have to be used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House