Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 02:44 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
And for me it would be a piece of cake to gut it and make it MY home. I don't care what others want or need. It's MY house. Since I'm paying the bills, I get to have what I want and need.

I wouldn't live with paneling if you gave me a free house. There are just some things that I would not live with. Carpeting is another one. It's awful with my allergies. I had to wear a mask the day I tore the carpeting out of my current house. Yup, ripped it out of 3 rooms and the stairs all in one day. Get the torture over with! Avocado or Golden Harvest appliances have no business in my life either.

Feel better now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 03:09 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Our roof has a 50 year warranty. Replacing it in 15 years would be a waste. We V.E.ed out the lifetime warranty roof, but that would only be more of a bad idea to replace in 15 years. You have to be in the really cheap range today to get a roof with less than 20 years warranty.
Warranty length has little to no bearing on the functional life of a roof. It's mostly marketing BS, very seldom do they pay out anything.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:14 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
This is from one of the comments, but it's a comment we've all seen variations of:
"You may call a 60s era kitchen "authentic," but what I may see is a functionally obsolete, physically worn out room. That’s why I ripped the kitchen out of the house I live in now. The kitchen didn’t work – functionally or mechanically."
Why on earth do they say "the kitchen doesn't work"?<>The food prepared there tasted like food I fixed anywhere else.
Well, Maybe you say what YOU prepare has the same taste, but we would like to hear a second opinion.
[/joke] [/sarc]

Old 03-08-2018, 03:18 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
And for me it would be a piece of cake to gut it and make it MY home. I don't care what others want or need. It's MY house. Since I'm paying the bills, I get to have what I want and need.

I wouldn't live with paneling if you gave me a free house. There are just some things that I would not live with. Carpeting is another one. It's awful with my allergies. I had to wear a mask the day I tore the carpeting out of my current house. Yup, ripped it out of 3 rooms and the stairs all in one day. Get the torture over with! Avocado or Golden Harvest appliances have no business in my life either.
Carpeting and panelling are a lot different than open concept and exposed beams, or a bathroom that's the size of the master bedroom your parents used.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:23 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It would be impossible for me! I love Mid Century Modern architecture and design.

These trends are just schemes to force you to conform with contracting industry that wants you to think your house is "out of date". They play on your insecurities and need to keep up with new styles.

I would suggest that lovers of all things new set their sights on NEW HOMES - which are still being built, and leave the older homes to those of us who appreciate them.
I agree! My neighbors tore out their original mauve and teal bathrooms and had them redone at an outrageous cost in boring, plain white. Those original tiles were so unique and cool looking!

Old 03-08-2018, 03:46 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Yes, there's a big difference between need and want. It is the job of advertisers and marketeers to try to convince us that our wants are in fact needs. They are doing a bang-up job of this.

It is our job to understand what is truly a need and what is merely a want and to make our decisions mindfully in light of this knowledge. I don't think most people are doing such a great job of that.
Formica serves as a countertop material fairly well if you use common sense and don't sit hot pans directly on it (shouldn't do that on granite/marble either) but very few people would replace original Formica w/new Formica--
The cost of labor is basically the same -- that is the problem
It can be just as expensive to replace older Formica with newer Formica that has a more natural stone/Quartz aspect which can be almost as expensive as less expensive granite
I had that issue when I was redoing a house built in early 80s that had Formica in kitchen and synthetic marble in bathrooms...
I tried to use less expensive products but labor was the issue
When you pay for all that work and put in "cheap" materials, you really don't see an upside when you go to resell...
And there were things that would have made it very hard to get a decent price at that time (RE market was down) if there was no refurbishing done...

Now did we replace the built in oven/microwave or the dishwasher that were dated but functional?
No---
The glass cooktop was cracked and had to be replaced....

We did things like sprayed the brass fireplace doors w/heatproof black paint to avoid as much replacement as we could...

Old 03-08-2018, 03:48 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I agree! My neighbors tore out their original mauve and teal bathrooms and had them redone at an outrageous cost in boring, plain white. Those original tiles were so unique and cool looking!
To you...

Old 03-08-2018, 04:15 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Feel better now?
I'm fine. How are you? Just because a person has different tastes doesn't mean something is wrong.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:17 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I like plain white. Everything goes with white. Real and naive? Yikes! No thanks.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:39 PM

10,899 posts, read 7,393,957 times
I'm left somewhere between horrified and amused watching the real estate shows on TV, when a woman (it never seems to be a man) walks into a kitchen that's in great shape and says, "Oh, I hate the color of the cabinets. This is a total gut job."

Today, a woman talked about "renovating" a bathroom that had just been remodeled--because she didn't like that the accent tiles were vertical instead of horizontal. That's not renovation, that's insanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House