Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 04:03 PM

4,614 posts, read 3,307,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSGood View Post
Seems to me a good setup would be ducts running up walls with a register a foot above the floor and another near the ceiling. In winter the lower one could be opened, pushing air into the room near the floor, then closed in summer allowing cooled air to be released near the ceiling.
Yes, we had this in one house. You switched between the vents (the top ones were called "riser vents," I think) depending on the season. Seemed to work pretty well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 05:06 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,663,264 times
Most real estate listings that I have seen have a data section that lists details like the kind of appliance, type of heating system, etc. Rely on that rather than trying to decode the photos.

In my experience hydronic or steam systems with radiators, either traditional or baseboard, are more effective at distributing heat around the house than either forced air or so-called gravity systems.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:50 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,123,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Most real estate listings that I have seen have a data section that lists details like the kind of appliance, type of heating system, etc. Rely on that rather than trying to decode the photos...
The problem is, the term "heat pump" does not tell how the heat is vertically distributed. (Nor does it tell if the heat source is outside air or the ground.)

Old 03-26-2018, 08:30 AM

4,614 posts, read 3,307,687 times
A heat pump is an electric forced air system. The vents could be anywhere, depending on the setup of the house.

If you are wondering about a geothermal heat pump, these are pretty rare and I think would be called out specifically in any real estate listing.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:09 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Forced air is the most commonly used because it is cheapest, especially if you will have AC ducting anyway.

Radiated heat is better in many ways, healthier, more comfortable, more efficient, less recharge time, ect. The more spread out it is the better it works. Thus radiated floor heat is top of the line. Copper baseboard heaters distribute the heat more evenly but they are not as efficient as cast iron so you need more of them. They are also damaged easily. Personally I prefer cast iron radiators after floor heat.

In all systems heat goes as low as possible. Cold goes as high as possible. In a two story house, much of your heat ends up upstairs and much of your AC ends up downstairs.

A heat pump is just a different means of generating heat. Like any heat source it can be used for forced air or radiated heat.

Every heat system has two parts, a heat source and a delivery system.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 03-26-2018 at 01:55 PM..

Old 03-26-2018, 02:57 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,087,456 times
There is nothing about a "heat pump" system that would cause the HVAC ducts and diffusers to be in the ceiling versus the floor. I think its purely a matter of which area is easiest to access in order to install the duct distribution system. In cold climates it makes a little more sense to put the heating sources in the floor, as heat rises, this will distribute it more evenly.

Where I lived up North it was more common for the ducts and diffusers to be installed in the floors or lower side walls. Those houses were mostly built over basements or houses with crawl spaces.

Now that I live in the South it is more common for ducts and diffusers to be installed in the attics and ceilings, as most houses are built onto of a solid concrete foundation.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:21 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Yes, baseboard radiators are a pain.... They make it harder to place furniture and can be a real hazard.
True with the furniture but they do have low profile baseboard that just about looks like molding.

I'm not sure what hazard you are speaking of?

Old 04-01-2018, 08:02 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,358,184 times
On our main floor we have floor level vents. Upstairs the vents are located in the ceiling because part of the unit for that level is in the attic. I didn't like the air in our bedroom and near the bed blowing down near me. No matter the time of year, it made my feet cold. It was a simple inexpensive fix--a magnetic air deflector is less than $5. Now the air moves out away from my feet when I'm in bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House