Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2018, 09:38 AM

81 posts, read 159,915 times

Advertisements

We're redoing our kitchen and it seems that soft close drawers and cabinets are pretty much the standard nowadays. I've never had an issue with just regular closing stuff but my wife wants them so it's fine.

Anyway, we're looking at several bids that range quite a bit. On the low end, we have a guy that sources cabinets (and labor) made in China. In a conversation we had, I was surprised to hear him say that the soft close hardware should last 3-5 years before they stop working as designed. He's a really honest (which is great) but if that is true, that seems unacceptable to me.

Another cabinet guy had mentioned to us that he uses only very high quality hardware and I didn't really think much of it (as it did not dawn on me that they could wear out at all). So perhaps the truth is that the chinese cabinets do last 3-5 years and the quality ones last much longer?

So just looking for people's experience with soft close and whether anyone has had the ling enough for them to stop working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 09:47 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I don't know how long soft close drawer hardware lasts, but I just moved into a house that has them and I really love the soft close. So, I am voting with your wife. She wants soft close, get her soft close and she will be really happly with them .

Old 04-24-2018, 09:53 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Plan and plan some more

Spend some time researching drawer systems.
BLUM has two lines. The lower one is sold by IKEA at excellent prices. BLUM's top of the line LEGRABOX is awesome and it is what we chose for our recent renovation.

IKEA can provide better cabinets that Chinese junk.
A small, local cabinet builder can probably provide very good pricing.

Spend more time planning. At least 6 more months.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:57 AM

I had to get up and go look at my cabinets. They look high end to me, all wood, no chipboard, perfectly fitted corners, dove cut corners. Handles are real wrought-iron, so I assume thar the soft close hardware is high quality. This is a 3rd owner house and the soft close is still tight and strong.

One of the things I love best about my kitchen cabinets is that the base cabinets have roll out shelves. I love that feature and highly recomended it. I assume it adds to the cost, but it is worth every penny of the extra cost.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:02 AM

I have a section of my cabinets that is a wine rack. Very stylish. I don't use it because we don't use wine, but here is the issue I mention: there is no easy way to clean it. The lattice is fixed so I can't reach in. I can get the hose of the vacuum cleaner in there, but that isn't the same as wiping it clean.

So if you do spring for a wine rack, make sure it is made with some way to access the inside of it.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:29 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I have a section of my cabinets that is a wine rack. Very stylish. I don't use it because we don't use wine, but here is the issue I mention: there is no easy way to clean it. The lattice is fixed so I can't reach in. I can get the hose of the vacuum cleaner in there, but that isn't the same as wiping it clean.

So if you do spring for a wine rack, make sure it is made with some way to access the inside of it.
If you can get a vacuum hose in there you can get a swifter wand in there. Look for the ones that the rod expands. You can lightly spray the swifter duster pads with a mix of water and vinegar and look for the pads that are 360.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:08 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
May be that the Chinese crap doesn't last but the KV soft close we've used for the several decades is still working just fine. I would avoid the Chinese anything if you are going to spend any money. If the stuff is free, you might consider it. Otherwise, you'll be replacing all of it at about 5 years. Chinese made crap comes with a no cost option to you. It's called self destruct. I've even seen their supposed 7 ply plywood cabinets fall apart while still in the box. If you can't afford anything else, save up and get decent materials. China anything is junk waiting for the unknowing to purchase so it has a place to self destruct.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:25 PM

81 posts, read 159,915 times
Thanks all. I guess this is partly the hidden question. The "Chinese" quote is significantly lower than the other one I mentioned (which is a local cabinet maker). I'm sure the age old saying (you get what you pay for) is probably true. I'm just trying to break it down into meaningful, tangible information.

In this case, perhaps the guy was being very honest. They will break down relatively quickly, which obviously is important.

Thanks.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:54 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
I have no issue with regular closing drawers either. That's why there's a thing called silicone bumpers. Soft close is too dang slow for me. I'm not about to redo anything to have soft closing drawers.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:35 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

A small, local cabinet builder can probably provide very good pricing.
A friend of mine builds custom kitchen cabinets. They are far far better than anything you can buy in a store, but he syas a typical kitchen re-do (sans appliances) runs around $50,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House