Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2018, 05:36 PM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times

Advertisements

A bit of common sense today, in the vast wasteland of none.

I watched one today. The wife was a nurse, but now she’s a stay at home mom. She’s pregnant with their 5th. He is a Youth Minister, and their budget is $200k.
Wonder of wonders, they bought a nice simple house that did not need remodeling, with a big back yard. It was $25k or so, over budget, but they worked it out.

The couple owned a 3 family, so they were getting rent on that. It was one of the few HDTV shows where I stopped yelling at the TV after the initial “stop having too many kids”, and “way to give up $75k a year”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 05:40 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,122,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
[voice-over] "Jennifer wants an antique home with character, and wants to live right on the water. Husband Matthew is basically non-verbal and just says "Yes, dear" while he plays with his phone. Realtor Janice has explained to Jenn every day for a month that after the tsunami scoured the coast bare last year, no homes were left standing, so the 'oceanfront property' in her price range consists of FEMA mobile homes in the $4 million range. Nevertheless, delusional Jennifer insists on finding the perfect authentic Tudor mansion (circa 1595--in Cocoa Beach, Florida) with six bedrooms, eighteen bathrooms, a conservatory ("...like they have in that game, Clue") and a formal dining room, with all rooms somehow facing the ocean at the same time. Their budget is $200,000. Matthew just wants the sweet escape of an early death. Realtor Janice has dreams of hog-tying hyper-irritating Jennifer and dumping her into the trunk of her car, but continues to humor the snotty harpy in hope that the TV exposure will result in her own spin-off. [/VO]
Classic!

Old 07-07-2018, 06:29 AM

806 posts, read 877,462 times
They always view 3 houses before making a decision . That's because the decision has already been made prior to the filming of the episode .

Old 07-08-2018, 12:58 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I didn't regularly watch HGTV when I HAD a TV, but I remember this one show, "Moving UP" ?? or something like that - 3 couples, first is buying their first home, second (owners of first home) are buying a better home, that is owned by third couple who is also "trading up.

Anyway second couple's home was COVERED with stencils that the wife had lovingly done and was quite proud of. (This was many years ago). Naturally the young couple that bought the home was like - "The stencils have GOT TO GO!"

The big reveal when the previous owners come back to see what the new owners have made of their house - Stencil lady had a look on her face like someone had murdered her pet poodle and turned the hide into a sofa pillow. Funniest thing ever.
I wouldn't have wanted to go. My husband and I rented a house for about 2 1/2 years after it had been on the market for too long. We told the people to call us with any complaint or questions. A few months after they'd moved in, the guy called and asked if he and his wife could paint the kitchen. They were paying for the paint. Uh, sure. They painted over my stenciling. It was time. It had been there for eight years.

I never saw the inside of that house again, and I don't want to. The outside looks nice. It was painted a few years ago. Every few years I take a Google walk along the street.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:09 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
I can remember one very early episode of House Hunters. A woman wasn’t happy in her condo, so she went out looking at a new place to live. Turned out, she decided to do some upgrades on her condo and stay.

The one and only episode where that happened.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:16 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,552 times
Just saw an episode of Lakefront Bargain Hunt. Couple purchased house that was at the TOP of their budget $499k. Husband asks agent what he thinks they. an get it for. Agent says, “let’s out in an aggressive offer and see what happens.” Two months later owner is ecstatic with their purchase. Says it was a pre-for closure so they got a great deal. They got in for $330k. Yeah right. They came in at $170k BELOW the asking price? That one takes the cake. lol

Old 07-16-2018, 04:57 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Just saw an episode of Lakefront Bargain Hunt. Couple purchased house that was at the TOP of their budget $499k. Husband asks agent what he thinks they. an get it for. Agent says, “let’s out in an aggressive offer and see what happens.” Two months later owner is ecstatic with their purchase. Says it was a pre-for closure so they got a great deal. They got in for $330k. Yeah right. They came in at $170k BELOW the asking price? That one takes the cake. lol
That can happen.

When I bought my house 22 years ago, the asking price was $120k. I bought it for $70k.

I found out after buying it that the owner was about to lose the house for unpaid taxes. I guess she figured getting some money out of it was better than getting none!

My house today would sell for around $300k.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I can't remember the name of the show I was unfortunate enough to see when I turned on the TV while housesitting. It was about a couple who was shown 2-3 houses and had to pick one. I saw the last half.

They "needed" a (to me) insane amount of bedrooms and bathrooms (for the two of them - but maybe I missed how many kids they were planning on having). The one they picked had "so much character" yet they couldn't want to tear out the kitchen and add a bath.

Six months later she's picking wallpaper off a centimeter at a time. I wanted to poke her eyes out with the putty knife.

I couldn't find the TV remote so I spent the week reading. I was afraid to see more shows like that. I think it was the HGTV channel.
Sounds like house hunters renovation. It’s an hour long, first the old show of the purchase, then a half hour of renovation. Yeah. Not good. Just another showcase for the HGTV style.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
Monotonous phrases:

Subway Tile
Open Concept
Stainless Steel
Outdated
Getting Ready at the Same Time in the Morning Without Bumping into Each Other (he works from home)
Kitchen Island
No close neighbors/Privacy
Walking Distance

Pondering the Wish list:

Why aren't all three must-have features x'ed instead of only two?
Don’t forget en suite. No one I know ever called a master bath an en suite until HGTV, with their massive proliferation of Canadian programming.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:35 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
Home To Last Just caught this one over the weekend. The renovators added wallpaper to the master drywall WITHOUT priming it first. What a mess for the pool sucker who has to remove that wallpaper years down the road.

I had to remove wallpaper in my guest bedroom that someone had applied to unprimed drywall. Almost ruined the wall's surface.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House