Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 10:43 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
I sent pictures to my pest control company and he said these are flying ants, not termites. Pinched in waist and bend in the antennae.

How does one destroy the queen if you don't know where they are coming from?

BTW, in the picture this ant looks like it's on my skin, but it's not. It' on my floor tile. Had to qualify that.

Attachment 201181

That's a carpenter ant reproductive. You've got a nest somewhere with access to the interior of the house.

Do you ever see smaller workers foraging around? What about around the perimeter of the home? Do you notice the smaller black workers scurrying around?

You don't necessarily need to find the nest, but just where the workers are feeding. Then you can leave some poison bait out for them. They will eat it, take it back to the nest, pass it around, and over the course of a month or so then entire nest (including queen) will die out.

I successfully eliminated a similar nest in my home that I discovered after a swarm of thousangs of the 1/2" long reproductive. Total cost was $10 in ant bait/poison and positioning them near the suspected nest area. Within a month entire nest was dead.

Or you can get an exterminator
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 01:07 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Sounds like carpenter ants swarming. If so, you have to find the nest, destroy it and the queen.
Could be termites.

We have to nuke it from space. It’s the only way to be sure.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:44 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Could be termites.

Nope. Clearly a carpenter ant if you look at some of the insect sites online. I had so many in a previous home, I was about ready to start hammering through recently repaired walls(!)

Quote:

Love this

Old 08-16-2018, 02:39 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Carpenter ants are giant pain in the ass. Unless you're flat broke, just save the time and hassle and let the exterminator handle it.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:38 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That's a carpenter ant reproductive. You've got a nest somewhere with access to the interior of the house. <Exterminator said he thinks it's under my foundation.

Do you ever see smaller workers foraging around? What about around the perimeter of the home? Do you notice the smaller black workers scurrying around? < Nope, nope. Not on the outside. Little tiny winged ants have been appearing along with the larger, reproductives.

I have been spraying the perimeter of my home after every rain. I have not seen any ants near the foundation, no ant mounds or nests. I have gravel and pavers surrounding my house so it's not like I've got vegetation growing right up to it.

You don't necessarily need to find the nest, but just where the workers are feeding. Then you can leave some poison bait out for them. They will eat it, take it back to the nest, pass it around, and over the course of a month or so then entire nest (including queen) will die out. < Here's to hoping Home Depot or Lowes is not sold out. I'm sure other folks in the Phoenix area are also dealing with this in their old, cracked stucco homes.

I successfully eliminated a similar nest in my home that I discovered after a swarm of thousangs of the 1/2" long reproductive. Total cost was $10 in ant bait/poison and positioning them near the suspected nest area. Within a month entire nest was dead. < A MONTH? Oh dear.

Or you can get an exterminator
< as a last resort, absolutely. THANKS!

Old 08-16-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Could be termites.

Too funny!!!

Old 08-16-2018, 06:31 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
< as a last resort, absolutely. THANKS!
The smaller winged ants are the males. They are about 1/4" long. They die pretty much within a day of flight. The large ones are the females at slightly more than 1/2" long. They land after mating, pull their wings off and start hunting for new nesting ground. Step on every one you see.

The reason the poison takes so long is because it's slow acting to give the ante time to pass it around to others. Eventually every ant eats it and dies. That's the only way to ensure the nest is eradicated. No instant gratification here.

Baiting the reproductive is a waste of time. The males die anyway and the females don't feed until after they have established a nest and reared a few workers. You need to find the workers. Start strategically leaving food out. They will be roughly the same size as the male reproductives minus wings. You find them...you can put out your ant poison.

There's a few species of carpenter ants. Most common is the black carpenter ant (Camponotus pennsylvanicus). However that one doesn't look like that species. Of course hard to tell because you squished it.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:50 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,665 times
Anyone else notice how much they look like earwigs (with wings)?

OP, very frustrating, I hope the issue is solved for you soon!

Old 08-16-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
The smaller winged ants are the males. They are about 1/4" long. They die pretty much within a day of flight. The large ones are the females at slightly more than 1/2" long. They land after mating, pull their wings off and start hunting for new nesting ground. Step on every one you see.

The reason the poison takes so long is because it's slow acting to give the ante time to pass it around to others. Eventually every ant eats it and dies. That's the only way to ensure the nest is eradicated. No instant gratification here.

Baiting the reproductive is a waste of time. The males die anyway and the females don't feed until after they have established a nest and reared a few workers. You need to find the workers. Start strategically leaving food out. They will be roughly the same size as the male reproductives minus wings. You find them...you can put out your ant poison.

There's a few species of carpenter ants. Most common is the black carpenter ant (Camponotus pennsylvanicus). However that one doesn't look like that species. Of course hard to tell because you squished it.
Couldn't rep you again for your info.
Final question for you. Is there a brand of bait you recommend and is it pet safe? I've got a very curious, always sniffing hunting breed dog and am concerned he'd get into it.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:35 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Carpenter ants generally nest in bad wood. Find infested bad wood, remove infested bad wood, problem solved, no need for poison. Kill the ants and you still have bad wood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House