Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:54 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,019,787 times

Advertisements

I'd like to help it, it's really tired from all that running. LOL!!!!!

Seriously, is there a way to fix it other than what we're doing now which is lifting off the top and gently pulling up the lever which does stop it. it doesn't happen all the time but since the house in on the market i'd like to fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 11:19 AM

376 posts, read 1,808,891 times
It sounds like the flapper is not seating correctly. Very easy fix (even I can do it!) you can go to local hardware store and buy new flapper. If you are not sure what to get, turn off water, flush to remove as much water from tank as possible, take out old one and take it with you. Takes longer to buy it than to replace it!

Old 04-03-2008, 11:41 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
It could also be a defective valve or a waterlogged float.

You can replace the whole flush mechanism for about 10 or 15 bucks and it's no more complicated than unscrewing a couple of retaining nuts and takes only a few minutes.

There are always instructions on the package.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Take away its running shoes.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:39 PM

Thanks all including you GregW.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:00 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
verify a clean mating surface under the flapper......when the toilet is full push down slightly on the flapper and see if that stops the running....if it does most like the flapper....if it doesn't see Fat Freddy's post.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:38 AM

If the flapper is the part at the bottom of the tank, it's not the flapper. it's the part that sits on top of the water (it's a black round part). If you gently pull it up once the water has finished filling the tank back up, it stops. Fat Freddy will your repair fix the problem?

Old 04-04-2008, 08:16 AM

Bad fill valve......if it's a ball on the end of a lever it's called a ball c**k assembly.....replace it with a fluid master fill valve and be done with it. They are cheap and easily adjustable with all materials need in the box....

Fat Freddy is talking about the flush valve I believe and it's what the flapper is attached to.

The fill valve is what you want and obviously you can see it's a rather strange name....I just call them fluidmasters to keep the blushing down.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:45 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
...it's the part that sits on top of the water (it's a black round part). If you gently pull it up once the water has finished filling the tank back up, it stops. Fat Freddy will your repair fix the problem?
That's the float which controls the fill valve. It might have sprung a leak and gotten water inside which would make it sit lower in the water allowing the valve to remain open longer allowing water to run down the overflow pipe. No remedy but to replace it.

Or, it could have just slipped down on it's adjustment. Try moving it down a bit and see if that works. If it's the old style that sticks out on a rod, bend the rod a little to lower the float.

But, be aware that the position of the float in the tank controls how much water goes into the tank which eventually goes down into the bowl for each flush. If you have too much water in the tank and your toilet gets blocked up it will run over onto the floor. If you don't have enough water in the tank, you may have to flush two or three times to get everything down.

You should allow your tank to fill enough for a good flush, but with no more water that will fill the bowl about a couple inches from the top without running over when the toilet get blocked. If you don't have some space from the top of the bowl, when you put the plunger in to unblock the toilet, it will run over anyway.

Generally if one component wears out, another one isn't far behind, which is why I recommend buying a set and replacing all the innards.

I'll be glad to fix it for you. Take the toilet out and bring it on over.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:12 PM

Fat Freddy:

Besides something actually blocking the trap in the toilet or something clogging the jets....can jets wear out....this is something I was told by my drain cleaning company.

Are there any remedies to clogged jets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House