Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 04:07 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,742 times

Advertisements

We have tons of junk ... aHem ... belongings in our garage. But we also have two cars in there.

Shortly after moving in, I installed a wallfull of shelving and all our stuff is occupying those shelves.

There's a surprising amount of space in a two car garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 04:29 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,940,568 times
I agree. Seems like a waste and puts your cars in the elements. My family always treated the garage as valuable space. I was lucky if I ever got the chance to park my car in my parents' garage. And it's not like the garage had to be clean and organized. It was usually a mess, but there was always space for the cars.

I just don't know why you want to use a garage for anything else. They usually aren't well insulated. Ours have always had a step or two to go into the main part of the house so converting it into a room would mean always having an awkward step between spaces. For storage, you can't have anything too delicate out there with the large temperature range and humidity. Though I will say we always had a basement which helped on the storage front.

Old 12-30-2018, 04:36 PM

196 posts, read 183,016 times
Someone correct me if im wrong this is just a theory but the main reason why most people decide to park on their driveways instead of inside the garage might be due to security reasons. When burglars see a house with zero cars parked anywhere near the street or driveway they immediately assume the home is vacant and will try to break in.

Another reason would be people decide to use up their garage as a storage space.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:23 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Makes sense, keep a $40,000 vehicle out in the elements and keep plastic lawn toys and cardboard boxes in the garage. These are the same people that keep their garbage cans in front of the house. Great neighbors and an asset to the community.
Nothing is going to happen to a car being outside, it is built to be outside. Other items on the other hand, might not be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Would you rather I kept the plastic lawn toys and cardboard boxes in the driveway?
Seems that is the case, never understood the thought that something is going to happen to a car sitting outside, the car will be just-[p000000000000000999
fine, many other items will not be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
To those asking what business is it of yours what your neighbors do or don't do with their garages, I offer this.

The HOA makes it their business. It's all about the appearance of the community as a whole.
Not all HOAs care, I would say most do not. Also, not everyone lives in an HOA.

And who in their right mind thinks there is some appearance issue about a car sitting in a driveway? Goodness, the things people come up with now days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Who has the energy to worry about what other people do with their garages?
Nosy bodies, always getting into other people's business for the most trivial of reasons, see the post I responded to above for an example.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:18 PM

3,062 posts, read 2,040,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I purchased my current home because it has a 625-square foot, side-loading, under-the-house garage. Yeah, baby! 625 square foot of automotive/workshop bliss.

I also put up a small shed in the yard, lest I be tempted to put anything inappropriate in the garage!

Way too many men, upon seeing my spotless and clean garage say, "Your husband doesn't let you fill up the garage with crap!" And I set them STRAIGHT. There is no husband and if there is, that fellow better keep a clean garage!

Can you post interior of your garage? The exterior is beautiful.
I know I will have to build an accessory garage when we find our new house (haven't started house hunting seriously yet).
Because I know I'll never find a renovated or nearly new home with enough garage space for 2 modern-size cars plus workshop that is not in an HOA. They are hard to find including homes that are "almost" right with enough land for an add-on garage/workshop.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:00 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,964,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinco Ranch View Post
Someone correct me if im wrong this is just a theory but the main reason why most people decide to park on their driveways instead of inside the garage might be due to security reasons. When burglars see a house with zero cars parked anywhere near the street or driveway they immediately assume the home is vacant and will try to break in.

Another reason would be people decide to use up their garage as a storage space.
Yes, it's always good to show that someone is home by having a car in the driveway.

My car is parked in the garage during winter months for 2 reasons: Much more pleasant to get in and out of the car in cold weather and the driveway is clear for when the HOA comes by with their big snow blowers to clear the snow off the driveway. In the spring, summer and fall, I park outside because I like going outside in beautiful weather even if it's just for the few minutes it takes to get into the car. I live in VT.

But something to be aware of if you do park outside. If you do not lock your car, thieves have been known to open the car and push the garage door opener button to gain access to the house -- even if you are home.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:20 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,558,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
It’s common out here for people to make over the space.

At our house, the garage was built in 1924. For 1924 cars. Our vehicles fit tight, and you can’t open the doors to get out.

So it’s full of stuff.

But the second I get real garage? Car’s going in it.
I lived in a crummy duplex with a tiny 1 car garage only fit for a motorcycle and tools for 16 years before moving to my house with 2.5 car garage, and I'll be the first one to tell you that owning a garaged vehicle is light years better than owning a driveway vehicle. People with real garages that fill them with boxes of crap mystify me.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:52 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
Quote:

I've known people to park their extra car in the driveway of the vacant home they have on the market, for just that reason. Makes potential burglars think that someone might be home and that it's best to pass that one by.

I'm not shocked by people parking in their driveway - that's what they are for.

What I AM shocked by is people who think it is, really, any of their business. Gladys Kravitz comes inevitably to mind.

Wanting a garage for yourself and your own reasons is perfectly understandable. Spending one moment shocked by other people with different priorities and needs is understandable, but, again, see Gladys Kravitz.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:56 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:

Indeed.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:22 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,940,568 times
Quote:
For me it's the opposite. I don't want my car being a target. As for seeing if someone's home, almost all garages I've seen have windows. It takes 5 seconds for someone to check inside the garage. Plus if it's that much a concern and it's a short time frame, leave a TV on. Also, leave lights on timers. I think they even make timers with random intervals to look more realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Nothing is going to happen to a car being outside, it is built to be outside. Other items on the other hand, might not be.
Erm what? UV radiation is terrible for a car. No the engine isn't gonna fail because of it. But exterior paint, plastics, etc are susceptible to increased wear. I've seen a lot of faded paint jobs on cars as well. A car outside 24/7 will still work just fine, but it's not gonna be in the same condition as a car that can at least spend some time in a garage or carport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House