Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 08:04 AM

4,343 posts, read 2,230,685 times

Advertisements

So all the new porcelain plank tile is laid down on our floors downstairs.

Looks great - except there is a streaky dull residue left from the grout work where the sponges passed over the tiles as they smoothed in the grout.

Before we move the furniture back in I wanted to clean off this residue so the porcelain looks clean.

Any suggestions/experience on this?

Should I wait awhile for the grout to completely set/harden? It's been 24 hours since the last tiles and grout work were done.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 08:35 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
I'd call the installer and have him do it.....
or give you pointers....

Old 04-25-2019, 09:08 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
It's been discussed before-

http://www.city-data.com/forum/home-...installer.html

Old 04-25-2019, 09:36 AM

5,328 posts, read 3,210,678 times
In that linked thread, the person said they tried wet mopping and that didn't work.

In my scenario, all it took was water and a rag.

Like in the other thread, if you haven't paid the installers get them to do it. If you want to DIY, just test one tile with water and a mop or rag.

I used water and a rag because the haze left a sticky feeling and I didn't want to wreck my mop.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:07 AM

I got impatient and looked up a 'recipe' on Bob Villa's website that uses white vinegar and hot water.

I tried it on a tile that will be underneath one of my area rugs; clean rag, multiple passes in multiple directions.

After drying for an hour it looks perfectly clean with a bit of a sheen next to the adjacent uncleaned tiles.

I showed the installers and they agreed that it looks great. They agreed to call the shop supervisor to have a crew come out to clean it (but probably with their own solution).

We'll see if I have to give it the once over on my own as I am very picky.

Thanks!

Old 04-25-2019, 01:25 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,566,640 times
It's not at all unusual to have to go over it several times to remove all the haze. The more often you change the water, the less times you need to wipe it down.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
It's not at all unusual to have to go over it several times to remove all the haze. The more often you change the water, the less times you need to wipe it down.
That's what the installers said, too.

The vinegar & water method is a bit of grunt work on hands and knees with a clean rag.

And swapping the liquid solution and clean rags is a must. I did a section of tiles in the living room where my couch and chair will go. Got the back sweat going. It looks really good, but doing all the floors myself is gonna be a real grind.

So, I'm going to leverage the balance due for getting a crew to mope or wipe to my satisfaction.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:29 PM

Update.

The installers called the main office and were told to use a 'miracle' cleaner for tiles & grout.

Didn't work after two passes. I brought out my bowl of vinegar & water and did a tile right next to one that had the miracle cleaner applied. Still streaky & dull after drying.

I did take multiple passes with a fresh towel in my bowl - looks great.

So now it's down to getting the installers supervisor to agree that is what needs to be used and done before the furniture comes back in.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:47 AM

I took some pictures to document the haze and show to the job supervisor.

The haze shows worst when there is a reflection of light off of the tile at an angle.

You can see the single tile I cleaned in two different areas.

Today the crew is supposed to come back again with yet a different super duper tile & grout cleaner and different sponges.

We'll see.

Last edited by Trekker99; 07-12-2020 at 11:40 AM..

Old 04-26-2019, 02:47 PM

Well, the super duper industrial tile cleaner didn't work.

Kinda felt sorry for the crew as they used the solution once with two water passes.

Streaks are still there. They have determined it is the grout used: Mapei brand has an acrylic additive that leaves a residue. Turns out there are others who have had this issue on a new install using this brand.

The crew is off to buy white vinegar at the local market and come back to try it with what I showed them worked yesterday morning.

Two different cleaner solutions, and multiple water rinses = Fail

One pass with vinegar & water = win
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House