Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 03:44 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
Business is business, send him a bill for the full amount. Let the chips fall where they may.
Business is business, but if you go with an uninsured business I think it's on you if you wind up eating mistakes. If he's not insured I'd check to see if possibly your homeowners would cover, take the black mark and call it an expensive lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 04:13 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,911,170 times
If people see his truck at your house often they could safely assume he is your pool guy who is doing a good job. So they would then use him. Just a thought. Even if you never revealed to the neighbors he cost you $1000.

I would ask for insurance money from his company. If he doesn't have it, then at least some money plus free service. You'd have to keep a close eye on that service though.

Too bad the companies in this area are not good for you because I would want to fire the guy as soon as I got the amount from him I felt I was owed.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:27 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,950,618 times
I'm guessing that he hasn't offered to pay you directly because he doesn't have the money. When he understood the cost to be $200, he offered a free month of service. If the bill is $1000, that's a lot of free service and, from his perspective, perhaps there's no guarantee that you will keep him after 5 months of free service.

Personally, I would let it go. He's young, he does a good job, he screwed up, and having to pay the bill might be a real hardship.

Is there a valve that can be added to the hose to automatically shut off the water after a specific time interval?

Old 09-07-2019, 04:57 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,671,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I'm guessing that he hasn't offered to pay you directly because he doesn't have the money. When he understood the cost to be $200, he offered a free month of service. If the bill is $1000, that's a lot of free service and, from his perspective, perhaps there's no guarantee that you will keep him after 5 months of free service.

Personally, I would let it go. He's young, he does a good job, he screwed up, and having to pay the bill might be a real hardship.

Is there a valve that can be added to the hose to automatically shut off the water after a specific time interval?
Sounds like you understand why I'm feeling so conflicted. As you say, he's young and this expense may be a hardship for him.

Good idea about a timer for the valve. I'll have to search and see if such a thing exists.

For now, I was going to suggest as a "fail safe" that he put his truck keys by the hose spigot, so that he couldn't possibly drive away without thinking about that spigot. However, I suspect he'll never, ever forget again, at anyone's pool, for as long as he lives! (I say that based on the obsessive routine I go through to prevent locking my keys in a car, after doing so 30 years ago causing massive inconvenience. Never again!)

Old 09-07-2019, 05:07 PM

701 posts, read 1,708,346 times
Timers like that are cheap--you don't need a pool-specific timer. If Brian continues to make your pool look great, and doesn't make any more mistakes for 6 months or so, ask him if he'll give you $500 worth of free cleanings in exchange for a referral.

...and recommend that he buy some timers (they're like $40), etch them, or attach a tag, with his name and phone number and give them as a 'free gift' to new clients so he doesn't get sued in the future.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:59 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,714 times
This is an area I feel pretty strongly that the business should pay the full cost. Reality is he should just straight cut you a check. If you want to cut him a break, I would offer to take 50% off the bill per month for however many months (since I am sure he has some hard costs servicing your property) until he has paid the full cost.

Your portion of his mistake should be $0.

I agree it's a pretty understandable mistake, but if you want to be in business, that's part of the game. He needs to price these understandable mistakes into his monthly price or insurance against it. Simple as that.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:07 PM

829 posts, read 628,814 times
If the much higher water bills aren't a financial hardship for you, I'd recommend letting him know the actual cost of his mistake and ask him for additional months of "free" pool service. That will help you recoup the money over time for the higher water bills without him taking an out-of-pocket hit all at once.

I personally would not recommend putting in a homeowners claim, especially since this is a second home - with a pool - two higher risk issues. If you wind up suffering other, more significant losses in the future, you may find it difficult to get coverage - from what I hear.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:54 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
Business is business, send him a bill for the full amount. Let the chips fall where they may.
I think exactly the opposite of this.
"A good man is hard to find" especially when you're not on site much. TRUST! Do you have that with Brian? When a second home is in play, different rules apply.
It was a mistake. You shouldn't have to pay for it. But, the guy could also have said, "goodbye", and you'd be stuck suing someone from off. Now, whatcha gonna do?
Only you can evaluate the risk/reward here. Good luck!

Old 09-07-2019, 07:05 PM

12,058 posts, read 10,264,721 times
let it go

Old 09-07-2019, 07:08 PM

12,058 posts, read 10,264,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Sounds like you understand why I'm feeling so conflicted. As you say, he's young and this expense may be a hardship for him.

Good idea about a timer for the valve. I'll have to search and see if such a thing exists.

For now, I was going to suggest as a "fail safe" that he put his truck keys by the hose spigot, so that he couldn't possibly drive away without thinking about that spigot. However, I suspect he'll never, ever forget again, at anyone's pool, for as long as he lives! (I say that based on the obsessive routine I go through to prevent locking my keys in a car, after doing so 30 years ago causing massive inconvenience. Never again!)
Or put up a sign on the gate/exit from the pool

"make sure water is off"

and any other thing you think is needed

I have signs up on the doors because the roommate is known to leave doors wide open
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House