Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 12:10 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times

Advertisements

I am so sick of garage door openers. In my other house, it's been repaired three times. In our current house, the Craftsman is barely useable.

The electric eye needs to be exactly positioned, or it will not close. There's no obvious way to disable the electric eye; maybe I can just join the wires or something, but haven't yet tried that. All it takes is for a box or something to jostle the light or the reflector, and you're out of business until you can get them exactly aligned.

From time to time, like last night, the opener will for some reason stop closing the door and reopen it, and I don't know why. It was open all night last night, because I hit the button from indoors and went about my business, and it closed almost all the way, then reopened. If I stand right there with a remote and pull the door down, or click it a couple of times, it will usually go ahead and stay closed, but why would it decide to reopen? WHAT A PAIN.

I want an opener that just works. Press "Close" and it closes. Press "Open" and it opens. Leave the light on until I am done in the garage, and don't time out after 5 minutes. And for bonus points, how about Bluetooth enabled so that it works with your iPhone or Android app. This is not rocket science.

I hate garage door openers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 12:17 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Well, there's always the "Armstrong" opener. No electrons required, just some glycogen!

Old 10-28-2019, 12:24 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,324,389 times
Our Chamberlain Liftmasters have been fine since we installed them in 2007. The electric eye has never had to be reset or re-positioned. Newer ones do come with smart apps, and maybe we'll replace ours with a pair sometime in the future, But for now, they work perfectly. I can use the factory opener or the homelink button in my car.

Old 10-28-2019, 12:41 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Our Chamberlain Liftmasters have been fine since we installed them in 2007. The electric eye has never had to be reset or re-positioned. Newer ones do come with smart apps, and maybe we'll replace ours with a pair sometime in the future, But for now, they work perfectly. I can use the factory opener or the homelink button in my car.
Is there some kind of law requiring the electric eye thing? I find it much more inconvenient than whatever benefits it's supposed to confer.

Old 10-28-2019, 01:00 PM

19,767 posts, read 22,666,896 times
We have 4 Genie 3024 openers and aside from 1 of the 4 door openers needing a little additional adjustment on sensitivity- they have been flawless. 2 have been in service over 3 years and the other 2 installed this summer.

Old 10-28-2019, 01:09 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Sounds like your garage door, track, and/or opener needs adjustment by somebody who knows what they are doing. You should not be putting boxes or anything else near the electric eyes. They are there as a safety feature - door coming down will re-open if your dog or small child runs under the door.

Get a pro in to adjust the whole thing. Make sure the door itself is in alignment and moving smoothly. Make sure settings on the opener are correct. Make sure the electric eyes are securely fastened so they don't move if bumped.

I have had garage doors for about 35 years. Never had a problem until my current house where the garage door was c*o*c*k*-eyed, which affected how the door opened and closed. Spent about $45 to have someone fix it.

Old 10-28-2019, 01:30 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,324,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Is there some kind of law requiring the electric eye thing? I find it much more inconvenient than whatever benefits it's supposed to confer.

As far as I know, yes, it's for safety. 16 CFR part 1211:

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...2-part1211.xml

https://www.doityourself.com/stry/fe...e-door-openers

Old 10-28-2019, 01:44 PM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,667,429 times
My Craftsman openers have always worked fine, for 8 years in my old house and 12 years here. My only complaint is that I've never been able to get them to work with Homelink, and it's a real pain to set up a new remote if an old one gets lost.

Old 10-28-2019, 01:47 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
One of my Craftsman openers is misaligned. No problem! Just stand there holding the button down, and it closes just fine. When it is all the way closed, release the button.
Annoying, yes. but not an Earth shaking problem.

Old 10-28-2019, 01:48 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, there's always the "Armstrong" opener. No electrons required, just some glycogen!
Yep. A properly balanced/counterweighted garage door doesn't need anything other than a human to operate it. Unfortunately they do require that you actually shift your butt out of your car.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-28-2019 at 02:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House