Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 02:39 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,207,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
As to why some of us prefer D cells or even 6V lantern battery is cause they last.
I'm not sure that's the case with the switch to LEDs. It used to be that a small flashlight was perhaps good for an hour, with diminishing light output, and anything with a lantern battery might go all day. Now most LED flashlights give full brightness for 10+ hours, and the LED lanterns go for... a long, long time on a couple/four AA, C or D's. There's not much reason for the big, heavy units any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 02:44 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,207,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I've discovered the flashlight option on the cellphone and haven't grabbed the Maglight out of the drawer for ages. Guess I should remove the batteries so they don't leak from lack of use.
I love to point out that sf writer Brian Daley described this device, purpose and use in 1984. His characters had devices that are all but indistinguishable from modern smartphones—in great detail—and occasionally "turned the screen brightness up full" to use them as flashlights.

/enddrift

Old 08-12-2020, 03:18 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,350,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
I love to point out that sf writer Brian Daley described this device, purpose and use in 1984. His characters had devices that are all but indistinguishable from modern smartphones—in great detail—and occasionally "turned the screen brightness up full" to use them as flashlights.

/enddrift
Yeah, well, he copied it from Asimov, in "Foundation", 1950.

Old 08-12-2020, 04:51 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,008,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I'm sure they still sell Mag Lites lots of places.... the classic.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Maglite-...dalType=drawer
Yes. Looks like this one is made in USA. Thanks.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:53 PM

4,882 posts, read 2,687,536 times
mag lites and any D cell flashlight are obsolete relics in this day and age of small but intense lite and bright (very bright) LED flashlights..they're much cheaper, smaller, easier to carry, work 10 times better than the old stuff..you can pick 'em up in Walmart for less than 10 bucks..almost disposable for that price..

Old 08-12-2020, 06:08 PM

5,457 posts, read 4,067,293 times
I have had crappy luck with C and D cell flashlights. I bought a LuxPro lantern that takes 3 AA batteries. Very bright and I can read by it when the power goes out (don't have to hold it, it sets on a table and shines in all directions. ) About $8 at Kmart.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:20 PM

14,255 posts, read 14,773,589 times
My MagLites have never failed me.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:46 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,107,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Yes. Looks like this one is made in USA. Thanks.

A few years ago Maglite's ad campaign was that they were the only flashlight made in America

Old 08-12-2020, 07:53 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,107,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
This is a case where a $100 Maglite might have its place, mostly for someone like police, security or maintenance who carry it as a tool and use it frequently.

The better household solution is a bag of the small LED flashlights such as Harbor Freight sells — some of the tubular aluminum ones about half the size of a hot dog, and some of the 'blue brick' ones that give a larger light pattern. Buy a brick of AAA batteries from Amazon to backstop the Chinese cheapies that come with these lights, and then scatter them all over the house — several in the garage, one in each utility closet or hatchway, one or two in convenient locations near doors. You will never fail to lay hands on one the moment you need it, even if you have to go find a backup because the batteries are dead.

One finely-crafted, high-end, US-made flashlight is... a nice idea, but functionally obsolete in an era of nearly disposable, great-performing little guys. If nothing else, your Swiss-watch one is going to be at the other end of the house or on another floor when you need it.

Buy an HF flashlight!!! Never. They always have coupons where you can get one free if you buy something else! I like their little blue or red bricks (I wish they made a couple more colors, then each grand kid would get their own color) I've probably have 5 or 6 around the house. The little hanging hook is nice.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:02 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,556,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I have had crappy luck with C and D cell flashlights. I bought a LuxPro lantern that takes 3 AA batteries. Very bright and I can read by it when the power goes out (don't have to hold it, it sets on a table and shines in all directions. ) About $8 at Kmart.
We have a similar lantern, in addition to headlamps we have scattered around the house. One of the benefits of those lanterns is that now pretty much all of our electronics (flashlights, bicycle lights, remote controls, kids' toys, etc) all use AA batteries. Things are simpler... now we just have a bunch of AA rechargeable batteries and a charger/battery "station" on each floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House