Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 12:18 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,034,826 times

Advertisements

Seeking a traditional household 2D flashlight. But made in USA.
Lots of China stuff out there. The China stuff just doesn't last. Mostly cheap junk.

Seeking Made in USA flashlight that is the traditional 2D battery ordinary flashlight. Not some fancy expensive police type flashlight.

Searching G/oogle I could only find one traditional 2D flashlight made in USA. Not some thin fancy expensive LED twist ON/OFF.

LINK

Don't wish to purchase used. If anyone knows of other brands of traditional 2D household flashlight that is made in USA. Please post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 12:23 PM

14,572 posts, read 12,243,983 times
I'm sure they still sell Mag Lites lots of places.... the classic.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Maglite-...dalType=drawer

But with LED technology that is brighter and smaller, I'm not sure why anyone would want to use D cell batteries when small rechargeables are available? What's the goal?

Old 08-12-2020, 12:33 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,215,750 times
This is a case where a $100 Maglite might have its place, mostly for someone like police, security or maintenance who carry it as a tool and use it frequently.

The better household solution is a bag of the small LED flashlights such as Harbor Freight sells — some of the tubular aluminum ones about half the size of a hot dog, and some of the 'blue brick' ones that give a larger light pattern. Buy a brick of AAA batteries from Amazon to backstop the Chinese cheapies that come with these lights, and then scatter them all over the house — several in the garage, one in each utility closet or hatchway, one or two in convenient locations near doors. You will never fail to lay hands on one the moment you need it, even if you have to go find a backup because the batteries are dead.

One finely-crafted, high-end, US-made flashlight is... a nice idea, but functionally obsolete in an era of nearly disposable, great-performing little guys. If nothing else, your Swiss-watch one is going to be at the other end of the house or on another floor when you need it.

Old 08-12-2020, 12:42 PM

23,459 posts, read 19,098,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
One finely-crafted, high-end, US-made flashlight is... a nice idea, but functionally obsolete in an era of nearly disposable, great-performing little guys.
Some of us resent the "disposable" aspect. I'd rather recycle/replace batteries than the entire mechanism. Less plastic cr&$ in a landfill. In addition to a couple of small exchangeable battery flashlights I leave hand-cranks by exterior doors because experience has taught me the alternative definition of "flashlight".

"A cylindrical plastic container used to store dead batteries until disposal."

lifted from Sailing: A Dictionary for Landlubbers, Old Salts, and Armchair Drifters. by Henry Beard and Roy McKie

Old 08-12-2020, 12:55 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,215,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Some of us resent the "disposable" aspect. I'd rather recycle/replace batteries than the entire mechanism.
Both of the styles I noted have replaceable batteries. I have had some of them for many years. And I've dropped some down storm drains without more than an "oh, damn."

I meant "disposable" in that they're of little consequence if lost, damaged or elude a search. There's no longer any good argument for one expensive flashlight around the house. And all of them work as well or better than any old 2-D-cell flashlight I ever owned and used to store dead batteries.

Of course, if you have the budget, by all means scatter $50 US-made "tac lites" all over. Or spend fifteen minutes finding and retrieving your $100 Maglite Maximus to look behind a dresser for something.

Old 08-12-2020, 12:55 PM

17,484 posts, read 66,245,399 times
The best flashlight ++

https://www.stealthangelsurvival.com...hoCTX8QAvD_BwE

I have two on the boat, one in the truck, and one in the house- I Don't Worry About Batteries!!!

Old 08-12-2020, 01:14 PM

34,147 posts, read 83,198,060 times
I keep a Three D-Cell mag lite hung on the wall at the carport door.

Old 08-12-2020, 02:19 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,666,521 times
I suspect the only NEW American made D-cell flashlight is the Maglite. Personally I would get one with old school Krypton bulbs and convert it with a $2 aftermarket LED conversion bulb that is configured to just pop in as direct replacement. But hey can buy an already made LED Maglite if you want. Batteries last FAR longer with a modest conversion 0.5watt LED bulb than factory version. You try to sub some bulb with circuit driver thing that will light up neighborhood, be aware it will eat battery very quick. Ask yourself, do I want super bright for few minutes or bright enough that lasts 3 years.

I have some old metal 6V Big Beam lanterns converted to LED and used one for a while but seems if you leave one on pickup seat, they attract thieves cause they are an "antique". So resurrected an old $3 plastic 6V lantern. Kind that used to come with a "free" 6V battery at Wally. The kind NOBODY would bother stealing cause they know they are trash. They intended people toss them and buy another cause they frankly were cheaper than you could buy just the battery.

Well they arent constructed to last, they use steel rather than copper or brass internally. I ended up hacking one to where it more resembled a 6th grade science experiment on circuitry than it was original. Instead of a 6V el crappo battery, soldered together four D cell batteries in series. And used a screw in type LED conversion bulb rather than spring loaded kind.

Oh and a new all metal canopy switch, cause original plastic one sucked. Anyway its now super reliable, bright enough and the batteries last like 3 years. Oh on the batteries, use the rosin core solder, not regular acid solder. The acid solder will corrode the batteries and make them rust and leak. Gentle on soldering batteries, dont overheat, its not greatest way to go but easy and cheap, no China made el crappo steel spring battery holders that corrode and become unusable. No crazy over priced 6V alkaline lantern battery.

As to why some of us prefer D cells or even 6V lantern battery is cause they last. You dont run out of battery if you arent close to your front door. If you just need light to temporarily light up something then hey the little AA battery or rechargables are fine. I have a little single AA battery flashlight I carry around in coat pocket in winter. Its amazing how often it comes in handy just cause its there when bigger flashlights arent. Its not something you want to take on long hike as your only flashlight.

EDIT: Reread original post. Sorry there are no cheap 2D American made flashlights, not the $2 kind you used to buy in any corner drug store. Like say the ONLY D cell flashlight made in America you will find is the Maglite. They make a 2D cell version, but its not cheap. Sorry. Cheap and made in America are mutually exclusive. Probably a miracle the Maglite still made in America. Anymore guessing pretty hard to find any 2D incandescent flashlight where ever its made. Everything pretty much LED anymore. Though as I say Maglite still makes a 2D incandescent, its just not cheap.

Last edited by HJ99; 08-12-2020 at 02:38 PM..

Old 08-12-2020, 02:25 PM

14,572 posts, read 12,243,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Some of us resent the "disposable" aspect. I'd rather recycle/replace batteries than the entire mechanism.

I see D cells as being a bigger disposal problem. Smaller mini mag lights use rechargeable batteries.

And you're not hunting all over the house for it if it's mounted on the wall, on its charger.

Old 08-12-2020, 02:36 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,093,487 times
I've discovered the flashlight option on the cellphone and haven't grabbed the Maglight out of the drawer for ages. Guess I should remove the batteries so they don't leak from lack of use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House