Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 12:42 AM

205 posts, read 603,883 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is a good forum to post the question, but thought I'd try.

Speaking as a homeowner, what are good lockboxes for keys, when you want to safely share keys with others like contractors, etc.?

I notice the real estate ones in SF bay area in California lately are using some blue colored one that is bluetooth based? But I didn't get a chance to see the brand and model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 03:21 AM

5,982 posts, read 7,422,249 times
I bought one of these to use in my last house sale as it was a flat fee listing and I had to manage the showings:

https://www.masterlock.com/personal-use/product/5440D

Figured I could easily sell it for half what I paid (a little over $100 on Amazon) when I was done and recoup some of my cost. It's still sitting on a shelf. Can't give the thing away, on FB Marketplace or Craigslist. Not sure why, as it worked great and I was very pleased with it. I would still recommend it.

RM

Old 08-19-2020, 07:47 AM

14,574 posts, read 12,248,854 times
You won’t be able to use the blue type that real estate agents use… Those require membership in the MLS and an app to operate and access the key. They are pretty expensive for one-time use.

You can buy a combination-type lockbox for not very much money. We purchased one to do a key exchange we couldn’t be there for and it was under $25.

Old 08-19-2020, 12:24 PM

6,499 posts, read 10,411,932 times
I agree that Master Lock has a good selection of lockboxes at a reasonable price. When I was a Realtor, the cost of Bluetooth lockboxes and monthly fees to use them were too expensive. I used the the 4 digit manual coded boxes instead. Another issue for Realtors is that bluetooth boxes required a cellular data connection and those boxes are useless in areas without coverage.

Old 08-19-2020, 12:38 PM

43,401 posts, read 77,339,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daluu View Post
Not sure if this is a good forum to post the question, but thought I'd try.

Speaking as a homeowner, what are good lockboxes for keys, when you want to safely share keys with others like contractors, etc.?

I notice the real estate ones in SF bay area in California lately are using some blue colored one that is bluetooth based? But I didn't get a chance to see the brand and model.

And, the marketplace speaks!
Here's a mighty fine box, and just may be negotiable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I bought one of these to use in my last house sale as it was a flat fee listing and I had to manage the showings:

https://www.masterlock.com/personal-use/product/5440D

Figured I could easily sell it for half what I paid (a little over $100 on Amazon) when I was done and recoup some of my cost. It's still sitting on a shelf. Can't give the thing away, on FB Marketplace or Craigslist. Not sure why, as it worked great and I was very pleased with it. I would still recommend it.

RM

Old 08-19-2020, 04:09 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,126,198 times
Bluetooth enabled? Why not get a basic one that uses a punch in combination and change it whenever you useit for a different task.. We have two on my aunt's house. One that the 'Help I've fallen' service has to give to fire and rescue and one that we give to contractors, cleaners, etc when we need them to get in. That one changes whenever a job that required access is complete. It is easy to do. One is grey with a RED band on it the other black with a YELLOW band on it. They cost about $30 each plus $2.95 for the keys to put in them. Much cheaper than an electronic one. MasterLock from a local hardware store.

Old 08-19-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I agree that Master Lock has a good selection of lockboxes at a reasonable price. When I was a Realtor, the cost of Bluetooth lockboxes and monthly fees to use them were too expensive. I used the the 4 digit manual coded boxes instead. Another issue for Realtors is that bluetooth boxes required a cellular data connection and those boxes are useless in areas without coverage.
I believe there may be some confusion on your part about the connectivity of these. They don't require a cellular connection, they do everything either manually with the keypad or through Bluetooth using the application on a phone or tablet (Apple or Android). There's no network or Internet connectivity, at least not for the one I have.

RM

Old 08-19-2020, 04:59 PM

2,337 posts, read 2,589,509 times
Be aware that these lockboxes are not very secure (see The Lockpicking Lawyer on YouTube). Even with a combination lockbox, any time someone accesses your physical key inside the box it's an opportunity for them to make a copy.
If you have that many contractors coming and going, you'd be better off with a combination door lock where you can grant one-time access.

Old 08-19-2020, 06:14 PM

6,499 posts, read 10,411,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I believe there may be some confusion on your part about the connectivity of these. They don't require a cellular connection, they do everything either manually with the keypad or through Bluetooth using the application on a phone or tablet (Apple or Android). There's no network or Internet connectivity, at least not for the one I have.

RM
My experience was with the Supra Key lockboxes about 6 years ago. If something recently changed I am not aware. The only way to unlock them from my experience was from a cellular phone with an active cellular connection.

The phone used a downloaded application. The application had to synchronize with the cellular network in order to transmit the information about the Realtor opening the lock, when the key was accessed (time/date) which was then forwarded to the account of the Realtor who owned the lockbox.

I know more about them then you give me credit for.

Old 08-19-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
My experience was with the Supra Key lockboxes about 6 years ago. If something recently changed I am not aware. The only way to unlock them from my experience was from a cellular phone with an active cellular connection.

The phone used a downloaded application. The application had to synchronize with the cellular network in order to transmit the information about the Realtor opening the lock, when the key was accessed (time/date) which was then forwarded to the account of the Realtor who owned the lockbox.

I know more about them then you give me credit for.
Chill.

I wasn't questioning your knowledge, just clarifying the functions of the Master BT lockboxes. They don't require a cellular or Internet connection, just Bluetooth.

You can send someone with the app a single or multiple use code that will work, or you can program single or multiple use codes into the box in advance using the bluetooth connection. It also logs any and all activity, so when you come within range of the signal you'll get a report of the usage.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House