Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 12:03 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,474,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
My buddy in another subdivision in WF just got the visit from the roofing guy. Dude went up and poked around on the roof. Said he needed a new one.

Had a three way call with the roof guy and his insurance company. Roofing guy quoted him 42K for a new roof (cedar shingles) and the insurance company was like "oh, ok, no problem. Here's 45K"

My buddy made $3K on the deal....I don't claim to understand any of this.
I don't think that is correct.

Your insurance company's initial check is for the current value of the roof. Known as ACV. Unless his roof is brand new, he won't get $45k for it up front. That he can keep. And do anything he wants with.

Insurance will never* pay out more than the invoice you submit. In this case, their scope showed up to $45k.

Unless he submits a receipt for $45k and gets a kickback from the roofing company, he will never see that. That is, of course, illegal and insurance fraud.

One "point of contention" is the roofing company absorbing his deductible. Also very illegal. But done in roundabout ways, ie "$500 for a yard sign reimbursement" etc.

It feels like insurance COs have capitulated and thrown in the towel on these shingles. They are smart enough to realize that they will be raising rates next year to recover it all. When we bought a decade ago our yearly premium was $350. It's over $1000 now and that was with never having filed a single claim. Car or Home.

*barring some supplemental stuff submitted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 12:14 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,286,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
One "point of contention" is the roofing company absorbing his deductible. Also very illegal. But done in roundabout ways, ie "$500 for a yard sign reimbursement" etc.
Yes - this is why you always see the yard sign for a month outside the storm chaser roof jobs.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:27 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,062,530 times
Quote:
I don't think that is correct.

Your insurance company's initial check is for the current value of the roof. Known as ACV. Unless his roof is brand new, he won't get $45k for it up front. That he can keep. And do anything he wants with.

Insurance will never* pay out more than the invoice you submit. In this case, their scope showed up to $45k.

Unless he submits a receipt for $45k and gets a kickback from the roofing company, he will never see that. That is, of course, illegal and insurance fraud.

It feels like insurance COs have capitulated and thrown in the towel on these shingles. They are smart enough to realize that they will be raising rates next year to recover it all. When we bought a decade ago our yearly premium was $350. It's over $1000 now and that was with never having filed a single claim. Car or Home.

*barring some supplemental stuff submitted

You don't have to believe me, I'm just telling you what happened. He even showed me the transactions on his mobile banking app because it was "so baller to cash a 45K check".

Old 08-21-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Yes - this is why you always see the yard sign for a month outside the storm chaser roof jobs.

Yup. Guy that hit up Heritage was giving 250 if you put the sign up weeks before the work commenced and another 250 if you left the sign up for a month post work.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
You don't have to believe me, I'm just telling you what happened. He even showed me the transactions on his mobile banking app because it was "so baller to cash a 45K check".
His roof must've been brand new then. That isn't how it works.

It's pretty industry standard.

https://www.kangaroofaustin.com/2018...r-roof-damage/

The only thing I can think of, if you aren't embellishing, is the roofer submitted his invoice right then on the three way. If he's only actually billing him $42k, that is insurance fraud, not to mention the roof wasn't even done yet.

Last edited by wheelsup; 08-21-2020 at 12:42 PM..

Old 08-21-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
The margins are so high on roofing replacement that it's easy to absorb.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
His roof must've been brand new then. That isn't how it works.

It's pretty industry standard.

https://www.kangaroofaustin.com/2018...r-roof-damage/

Again, I don't know how any of this works. I have never filed a claim on my car, my home or when I rented up in MA. It came up a couple of weeks back at a mutual friend's place (who just had his done by Feastle or whatever their name is) and the third guy was like "chit I had mine done too (different company did it), $42K roof and I made $3K on the deal" and when I was like "how does that work?" he said "I guess my insurance company has a ton of money laying around because of COVID because they sent the check to me after talking to the roof guy for about 2 minutes and the roof guy gave them an estimate of the work with a range, and then sent the check for the upper limit of the estimate and the roof ended up costing the lower end of the range".

ETA - Saw your addition. No the numbers I am throwing out aren't an embellishment. I was floored, because everyone I know that has had their roof replaced its been like 10-12K. Hearing $42K and then seeing the transaction on his phone (because I called BS) left me speechless.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
The crappy thing? Those are the companies doing the vast majority (ok, all but one) of the business in my neighborhood.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Again, I don't know how any of this works. I have never filed a claim on my car, my home or when I rented up in MA. It came up a couple of weeks back at a mutual friend's place (who just had his done by Feastle or whatever their name is) and the third guy was like "chit I had mine done too (different company did it), $42K roof and I made $3K on the deal" and when I was like "how does that work?" he said "I guess my insurance company has a ton of money laying around because of COVID because they sent the check to me after talking to the roof guy for about 2 minutes and the roof guy gave them an estimate of the work with a range, and then sent the check for the upper limit of the estimate and the roof ended up costing the lower end of the range".

ETA - Saw your addition. No the numbers I am throwing out aren't an embellishment. I was floored, because everyone I know that has had their roof replaced its been like 10-12K. Hearing $42K and then seeing the transaction on his phone (because I called BS) left me speechless.
I'm not saying the numbers are an embellishment, I'm saying the story scenario is. People typically make stuff up or don't tell the whole truth when boasting. It's just how it is.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying the numbers are an embellishment, I'm saying the story is. People typically make stuff up or don't tell the whole truth when boasting. It's just how it is.

Possible? I don't typically hang out with people who measure their johnsons by throwing around insurance claim stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House